Defeated

I was supposed to do 14 miles today, but ended up having a really bad run and walking most of the hills and cutting out at 12 miles. I was super defeated icon sad Defeated It really sucks to have a bad run, I feel like crap now. Boo.

But, to keep it in perspective, it’s not the end of the world I have another long run next weekend. The race must go on…

Before I left I had almond butter toast for fuel.dscn0774 Defeated

I tried out my hand-held water pack today. Usually I take my fuel belt on long runs, but it’s heavy and I didn’t feel like it.dscn0779 DefeatedAs soon as I got back I had half of a Kashi Crunch Bar. Defeated

After a shower I made a huge smoothie! Topped with granola and a scoop of almond butter icon smile Defeated Defeated

and cereal. I am trying to make sure I re-fuel really well because it’s good for recovery and will prevent overeating later (and tomorrow when my long run hunger really hits!).dscn0784 Defeated

Have a great Saturday!

Comments

YEP i had a bad run too, it was sooo hot! i quit after 7 instead of 10K, but i took a much longer route home with my bike to even it out a little :-)
    don’t worry about it :-)

Don’t beat yourself up! You are right- the race must go on! There are ups and downs in racing and training. Bad runs happen. The difference between 12 and 14 isn’t much- you’ll be back there next weekend and feeling much better. Be nice to yourself chica and don’t let it ruin your day!!

3. Ella says

Hey there! I just found your blog a week or so ago and I am really enjoying it – I so very much appreciate how honest you are about your eating, your emotional/mental state while eating, how you feel afterwards, everything. I read other food/nutrition blogs, and it seems like so many of the women writing them were able to completely “fix” their previously unhealthy relationship with food. That’s wonderful for them, but for me – I’m not sure if I’ll ever have a 100% peaceful healthy food relationship, and I am studying to be an RD! I worry occasionally that since I’m going to be an RD, I should be perfectly “normalized” in my eating and my attitude towards food. But some people will always struggle with varieties of disordered or difficult eating. It’s learning to manage it, perhaps? (makes me sound like a recovering addict!!) So, THANK YOU for sharing in an open and honest way.

Also – I think it’s incredible that you ran TWELVE miles. I understand when you’re training you want to do exactly what’s on the plan, but still, try to take a step back and realize that twelve miles is freaking AWESOME.

Hey girl, don’t feel too bad! That’s twice what I ran today! I like how you put it in perspective–you will have another crack at it again soon :) Totally hear ya on the day-after-run hunger. Way to set yourself up for success!

Hey girl! Don’t beat yourself up about a bad run. It happens to the best of us. Ha your abbreviated run was still two miles longer than what I ran this morning. Try eating some fruit with your pre-run snack. You may need some more complex carbs to fuel you if you feel lagging. Also, if your stride felt off it could have been from your water bottle. They weigh you down on one side so your alignment is off.

be happy you can run! i hurt my lower right leg the other day, i was supposed to run 13 miles today but instead, i am nearly crying and went to a spin class instead :(

my marathon is in 2 months so i hope i have time to recoup and get back out there…i am having an mri next week to rule out a stress fracture!

7. Barista says

Ummmmm….you ran TWELVE freaking miles! Be proud! I know it wasn’t your goal, but damn girl! Most of us can barely make it a mile. You are my inspiration so value yourself more!