Salt Water Swish

Last night before I went to bed my throat was feeling super scratchy. I gargled with some salt water last night and again this morning. Does anyone else do this? I know gargling with salt water is good for helping relieve a sore throat, but a nurse recently told me it also discourages bacteria from growing in your mouth/throat. I figure it couldn’t hurt! If you’ve never heard of it, this article addresses gargling with salt water. IMG 2666 225x300 Salt Water Swish

It is wet and drizzly this morning, but that didn’t keep me inside. I went did 4.5 miles. I run slower in the rain because it’s slippery out. It is better to run slow than fall and get hurt.

Before I left I had a small bowl of cereal and some coffee. I’ve noticed that since I’m trying hard not to eat after dinner I end up waking up a little hungry. This may completely change my eating/running routine – I am playing it by ear for now, but will let you know if I switch up the order of breakfast and running. In the past I did not eat before short runs (only long runs).IMG 2655 300x225 Salt Water Swish

My post run eats were an easy oatmeal pancake (recipe to come). I topped it with PB&PB (pumpkin butter). I also had some OJ and half a piece of toast with PB – I was hungry this morning!IMG 2664 300x225 Salt Water Swish

I am downing some generic air borne drink and hoping I don’t get sick. I normally “tough it out” when I’m feeling sick by not taking any medication. Just recently I have started taking Ibuprofen when I have a running injury. I don’t know why I thought it’s good to be a martyr. F that. I’m off to take some DayQuil…

My family arrives around 4:30pm today!! It is going to be so much fun! Happy Tuesday icon smile Salt Water Swish

pin it button Salt Water Swish

Comments

You might want to try gargling with Listerine to kill any bacteria in your throat. This probably isn’t a good idea, but a shot of alcohol (like vodka) will also do the trick. But who’s to say you couldn’t sip it with something a little more easier to swallow mixed in? Hope you feel better!

I used to not take pain meds like aleve and stuff, but I’m my creaky old age I find myself popping them more often. Sometimes I feel like they don’t work though, which is why I never used tot ake them. I do take excedrin migrane when I have a headache. That stuff is a miracle.

Have fun with the fam!!

3. Erica H. says

My mom has made us gargle with salt water as long as I can remember — for some reason she also made us heat up the water, too. I’m not sure what that does. But that vodka remedy also sounds like a good time …. :)

Feel better, and make sure you get lots of rest!!

I swear by the gargling with salt water thing too; I picked it up from assorted singing teachers over the years! :)

Hey Monica- This is off topic—-I was reading Self Magazine this morning and thought of you after reading this, “ Cereal and milk could help you tone up faster. Exercisers who ate a whole-grain version with skim milk post-workout activated more proteins in the body than did people who drank a sports drink.” See, all that cereal does a body good!

Have fun with your family! Sometimes those runs in the drizzly weather turn out to be the best. When I’m feeling something coming on I swear by a workout in the Hot Room (AKA Bikram Yoga). I was feeling scratchy on Saturday…I go to my Bikram class and come out feeling so much better. Sweat it out I guess? Happy Thanksgiving to you :)

7. Ashley says

Have fun with your family! Hope you don’t get sick- that’d suck! I swished once with salt water when I was a kid and it worked great but I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it again I don’t know why. Good job on not eating after dinner, waking up hungry is a good sign. Now if I could just follow in your footsteps… :-)

There are some interesting cut-off dates in this post on the other hand don‘t know if I see these center to heart. There is certainly some validity however i will take hold opinion until I explore it further. Good article , thanks so we want more! Put into FeedBurner too

Thanks for all your valuable work on this website. Kim enjoys conducting investigation and it is easy to see why. A lot of people learn all of the compelling mode you offer helpful things via the blog and invigorate response from website visitors on that article so our favorite simple princess is without a doubt learning so much. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You’re carrying out a tremendous job.