Own worst critic

It is very common for people to say they are their own worst critic. But – that doesn’t make it okay. Last night, in addition to writing a negative post about my run, I spent most of dinner talking about how my running is crap and I really want to achieve “x”, but I suck blah, blah, blah. After I was done Ben was just quiet and said, “Are you done beating yourself up? Because you look really bloody.”

Wow, it really didn’t even occur to me that I was just going on and on about how crappy I am. Boo to Me icon sad Own worst critic Well, I’ve decided to build myself up today with positive affirmations and thoughts. My positive affirmation for right now  is, “You are healthy, you can run 20 miles, you can do anything you want.”

I started the day with a long walk – in the rain. It rains so much here it might be time for me to build an arc. But I am glad it was a rest day so I could bring along my umbrella.IMG 2885 300x225 Own worst critic

Breakfast was a pancake made with oat bran, egg whites, and cottage cheese. I topped it with PB and Truvia icon smile Own worst critic IMG 2883 300x225 Own worst critic

I had an apple a little later to stall lunch a bit.IMG 24551 300x225 Own worst critic

Then I decided I enjoy washing dishes because I dirtied three of them for lunch. I need to either start eating less or buying paper plates.IMG 2888 300x225 Own worst critic

I am super introspective today and am really trying to figure out all the thoughts and dreams in my head. I am off to spend some time with my thoughts…

Question: What positive thoughts do you tell yourself?

Comments

I try to remember that nothing is permanent. I may be upset about something but that’s such a tiny portion of my life that it doesn’t really matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

One run out of the thousands of runs you’ve done is nothing. Staying positive can be tough, but seriously you are amazing. I was dying after 2 miles today :)

Hope you have a great day!

I’m not too great at telling myself things like “you’re beautiful and awesome!” so if I get into a downward spiral I try to think of something else quickly or listen to upbeat music. (Sir Mix-A-Lot anyone?)
    Just think – tons of people think you’re fabulous! Not just with running, but with everything.

I used to have an inner critic that raged out of control. Every time that little B!tch rears her ugly head I tell myself, “STOP!” and I change my thoughts. It’s amazing how fast she goes away. You’d never tell your best friend they sucked after a “bad 20miler” so why would you say that to yourself? I mean honestly- is 20 miles EVER good? lol! Be nice to yourself!! :-)

“everything is cyclical” yes things may be bad at the moment but there that just means there will be something positive and happy in the future :)

You are awesome! I know I’ll be able to run 20 miles someday, but it’s still a long way away.

When things get rough, I usually just say “one day at a time, one foot in front of the other.” I also remind myself a lot that what I’m doing at the gym may not blow the pros out of the water, but I’m healthy and active and that can’t be said for the vast majority of people out there.

These phrases run through my head, on average, at least 10 time a day:

Most things in life are temporary.
    Everything will be OK.
    We all shine on.

When I used to get down on myself when I lived with my parents, my dad would turn on CNN and point out how hard people have it in other parts of the world. Of course, there’d always be some sort of refugee camp or homeless person being featured. I’d feel like such a jerk for making my little problems out to be such a big deal.

I look at the bigger picture and think of everything that’s going right in my life. When I think of the good things I tell myself to get over whatever I’m down about and it helps.

Sending lots of hugs in your direction!!

I’m in the same boat myself these days; I just posted a long rant about beating myself up this weekend on my blog :(

I always try to remember “progress, not perfection”, but it’s hard to stick to if you’re a perfectionist!

It’s hard to break the habit of putting yourself down. I critique myself constantly and always down play positive things. I cant figure out why I do this but I know that it impacts my whole being and the people around me. Great work starting off with the affirmations; that’s a great step in the right direction.

Since I just got back to running a few weeks ago, I have had to tell myself , “You’re strong, you can do this!” I also say, ” You must feel some discomfort in order to change, increase endurance and strength.” That last one is from Ms. Jillian Michaels. :)