Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

I used to almost always order the healthiest thing on the menu. I would never go into a restaurant and read the menu looking for what I really wanted. Nope. I would always scan it just looking for my healthy options (read healthy as: low calorie).

But, so often I would eat my “healthy” choice then go back home and snack on other things. Even if I was full – I wasn’t satisfied.

Intuitive Eating is about really getting in touch with your body, what you’re craving and what your nutritional needs are. Since I am starting from such a far point from that it’s difficult to just do it. But, I’m getting better.

This morning we went out to breakfast and I spotted Buckwheat Pancakes on the menu. I nudged Ben and told him “Oooh that sounds good.”pancakes Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

But, then I went on to consider oatmeal. I wanted the pancakes, but knew oatmeal was the “smarter” choice. Well, I knew I wouldn’t be happy with oatmeal (especially when the restaurant was still full of so many good smells). So, I ordered a vegetable omelet and whole wheat toast.IMG 3856 400x300 Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

I thought it was a good compromise. And it was, but I have to admit that those pancakes are still on my mind. I’m very happy that I’m moving the right direction, being honest with myself, but not using Intuitive Eating as an excuse to binge on whatever indulgent foods I want.

It’s still about balance and honoring health is part of I.E. Today I honored my health tomorrow I’ll honor my craving icon smile Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

I actually ran to breakfast! Ben’s dad goes to breakfast with his artist friends every Thursday and wanted us to go since we’re never around for it. When it looked like I was going to be too late to get back in time, Ben looked up how far it was to the restaurant and suggested I run to meet them there. He said it was 3.5 miles. Wrong, it was 4.5. Which isn’t a big deal normally, but I didn’t want to do much more than 3 miles since it’s taper time. Oh well, it was GREAT TO RUN OUTSIDE!!!IMG 3859 400x300 Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

Nutty Bits! Look at this new find I got from Trader Joe’s yesterday – Nutty Bits! Ha, even if it wasn’t for the dark chocolate and nuts inside the package I would have bought it for the name. IMG 3860 300x400 Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

This stuff is a.mazing! It is described as “sweet crunchy buts, smooth dark chocolate and a hint of Fleur de Sal”. Try it try it. IMG 3867 400x300 Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

Since we missed out on Christmas with Ben’s fam, we’re celebrating it tonight. His mom is making a turkey dinner so I am off to the store to pick up some vegetarian foodies for myself icon smile Intuitive Eating and Healthiest Thing on the Menu

Comments

Those nutty bits look delicious! I just love dark chocolate :)

Love what you ordered–even if it wasn’t the pancakes ;) That omelet looks delicious!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

2. Lauren says

I am guilty of always ordering the low calorie options on the menu also. It’s quite a dreary way to live. That settles it, the next time I eat out, I’m ordering whatever I want.

the nutty bits look really good adding it to my shopping list. I am like the total opposite when it comes to resturaunt eating I usally lean fully towards craving and forego the healthy so I need to find to compromise more the other way and start making better decisions. :)

Hi! I’m Ariffa,
    I’m totally the same way with ordering food outside, and the food usually ends up sucking.. I almost always make sure to go to the restaurant’s website to see if they have nutrition info for their food, I struggle so much with intuitive eating I miss being a kid, food was so simple

I almost picked up those nutty bits. I’m thinking I could just add the bag to a food processor, blend, and instant chocolate nut butter! I wonder if it’d really work

Those Nutty Bits look good – the name for one thing :) and I bet they’re well easy to make at home, if it’s jsut chocolate and nuts :) tasteh!
    I used to always do the same thing in restaurants..but now I figure, life is too short! I’d rather order something I really want (which hald the time IS the healthy thing!) and then do 1mile extra running the next day or something – then it’s best of both worlds :)
    well done on you for listening to your body though, and making a smart choice :)

awesome compromise. i love how you went with something other than the “safe” option even if you still are thinking of pancakes :) and woot for running to the restaurant, i’ve always considered doing that but then get too lazy haha

This post is so true – and really got me thinking. I’m the SAME way. I was just re-reading my diary/travel journal from when I went to London, and all my meals out consisted plain boring spinach salads. Or a baked potato. No joke…how pathetic!! I’ve gotten better, but I still skip over all the fatty options (pastas, cheesy dishes like burritos & enchiladas) and always go straight towards the salads or sandwiches. I don’t know if I’ll ever feel 100% comfortable ordering WHATEVER I wanted from the menu, but it’s a really good thing to work on. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

9. Kate G. says

I think carolyn’s suggestion of making your own healthy pancakes tomorrow morning is a great idea!! That way you won’t be missing them too much :)

I wish i was comfortable to order anything on the menu at restaurants… :( i always order the same thing veggie egg white omelet and dry wheat toast… ugh how booooring.

I live a few blocks from a TJ and will definitely have to try those bits!! Thanks (or maybe not!) for tipping me off, haha!

I tend to order healthy when I eat out but every now and then I’ll be all… to hell with it! I hope you get your pancakes soon!

Good day! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

The next time I read your site, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. After all, Yes, it was my substitute for read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to convey. All I hear is a number of whining about something that you could fix should you werent too busy searching for attention.

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I needed to ask. Does operating a well-established website such as yours require a lot of work? I am completely new to writing a blog but I do write in my journal everyday. I’d like to start a blog so I can share my experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

At present I’m contemplating if what brand of digital grand piano I ought to Iobtain but just after having reading your content I’m now decided on what action should really I stick to. This weblog transform my whole point of view about digital grand piano and that’s two thumbs up from me your avid reader from now on.