The miracle is that I had the courage to start

“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.”

John Bingham

I kept telling myself this today during the run since all the odds were against me on this one. After a very hard training season, I couldn’t get to sleep last night because I suddenly felt super sick. I even had Ben get me sore throat spray and Dayquil!

So, my race started like this:IMG 3957 400x300 The miracle is that I had the courage to start

and this…IMG 3959 300x400 The miracle is that I had the courage to start

And ended this this:IMG 3974 400x300 The miracle is that I had the courage to start

It was brutal, but I finished. I didn’t PR (and actually added a lot of time)  for 4:27:something unofficial (my first mary was 4:15:39). But considering I was considering canceling the race last week and ditching out at mile 19 – I am happy I finished.

Details about my race recap, the expo, and bowl movements during the race coming later icon smile The miracle is that I had the courage to start

Comments

Congratulations, Monica.
    I’m sorry you’re sick and didn’t PR, but you finished and that, despite the odds not being in your favor, is a wonderful accomplishment. You should be really proud of yourself.

Rest up, eat some good food and feel better soon!

You are an absolute inspiration. I am so proud of you and you should be even prouder of yourself. To put in a time like that with all that you have had to struggle through is nothing short of amazing. I’ve been a lurker for a while and share your issues with both running (as in a love of, although I’m nowhere near as talented as you!) and food. Your blog has driven me to push onwards when I’ve been near giving up on life, and to finish a marathon is my ultimate dream. Sadly, due to scoliosis I’m not likely to ever get there, but just following your journey has been an experience in itself.

You are one brilliant woman. I can only aspire to be like you.

Congratulations!

~Jess~

3. Orla says

you did GREAT!! Screw PR’s. You’ve been sick, trying to train in snow for week now, haven’t been happy with your training….come on! 4:27 is incredible :D

The Penguin is my personal favorite, and as a slowpoke runner, I really ascribe to his philosophy. :) Way to go for making it through the race and sticking with all your winter training sessions.

Congratulations, Monica! Good for you for pressing forward even when you didn’t feel well (and I love that quote)! You are an inspiration :)

6. tami says

Congrats!!! It’s not how ya run the race, its that ya finished! Seriously, and against all odds (phil collins). So us aspiring runners can appreciate your going out there feeling like poo and finishing no matter what. That is pretty awesome! Such an inspiration! High ten :)

You did great! Don’t forget that!

It was so good seeing you again! I’m glad that are hotel rooms were right next door to each other! Everything worked out perfectly. :)

I’m so happy to hear that you started and then that you finished despite being sick and having a rough training season. I could so relate. I just did my first half in October and as a newbie, my worst fear was not being able to do it. So I set my goals as follows: train (check), start (check), finish (check). The rest was gravy. I was also on the verge of getting sick and was so scared I wouldn’t be able to do it. What a great accomplishment!