A Different Speed

One of my current goals is to get faster! I really want to break 4 hours in the marathon, but I have actually gotten slower in the past year rather than faster?!

I don’t really like speed work, but I think it’s because I haven’t given it enough of a chance. This morning I tried a speed work-out on the treadmill. I ended up doing an easier w/o than I planned, but it’s better than nothing:

10 minute warm-up

1 mile at 7.5 mph

2 min rest

.5 mile at 7.5 mph (I meant to do another full mile here, but couldn’t pull it out)

.5 at~ 6.2 mph

.5 mile at 7.5 mph

.5 mile between 4mph and 6.2 mph

.5m at 7.5

cool down walk

Woo! I was drenched in sweat after this!! I hope it gets easier as I do more speed work icon smile A Different Speed

I wanted to do some abs, but I was too wet with sweat and it got me freezing so I rinsed off in the shower and am icing my knee before anything else.IMG 4532 300x400 A Different Speed

Breakfast was overnight oats with: container of strawberry Chobani, 1/3c oats, chia seeds, soy milk and this morning I added blubes and a bit more milk.IMG 4529 400x300 A Different Speed

I also packed my lunch today. Since losing my job, I am blogging, freelance writing and job searching from home. This means I have too much access to the kitchen and handfuls of crackers or cereal are a daily occurrence. I made a meal plan last night and packed my lunch this morning. I’m hoping all this planning keeps me on track! IMG 4530 400x300 A Different Speed

Happy Monday icon smile A Different Speed See you in a bit!

Comments

I try to make meal plans as well – i find that not only does it help my “stay on track” but it also helps lower my grocery bill because before I make my meal plan I took a look in my fridge and pantry to see what I have – then base my meals off that. gluck!

i love your method of wrapping ice on your knee! have you thought of leaving the house during the day & staking out a spot at panera or starbucks and hten just buying a coffee? i know for me it would keep me on task & prevent me from overeating [as long as i stayed away from the baked things!] have a great day!

I’ve been trying speedwork this week too. (Although, I’m working on running my first 5k. I’ve never run farther than 4 miles!) I hate it!

Since losing my job, I have been working on avoiding my kitchen after all meals. It can be tough and meal planning has definitely saved me lots of times!

4. Ashley C says

I need to incorporate more speed work in as well- I can’t seem to break a 10 minute mile! I think that’s a good idea about packing your lunch at home

Good luck with the job search and lunch at home! I would definitely snack all day too! I’ll use this trick for when I’m home all day studying!

That is a brilliant idea…plan your meals as if you’re going to work (away from home, I mean). I think I might try this on weekends, because I get SO snacky if I’m not running around doing things.

i always hated speed work, too, until i started doing the aerobic intervals recommened by runner’s world. they are pretty fun, totally do-able, and my speed has improved sooo much since i started integrating them in to my workouts. here’s the link to what got me started on them: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244–6851-2-2X5X8-4,00.html
    it’s a half marathon training plan, but you can totally start making up your own interval workouts once you get used to them! happy running & healthy eating!

I’ve heard alot about speed work and really want to try it! I am training for my 2nd half marathon next month, and really want to increase my time. Previous time was 1:46….really wanna get down to 1:40 or so, I need to start booking it! Have a great day!

I get so bored on the treadmill, that speed work is the only way to make it through. Once the weather warms up, I’ll focus on endurance outdoors. My husband’s marathon training (for the Marine Corps marathon) plan included a ton of speed work, twice a week, and it really helped him with his time.
    It works; it’s just slightly painful.

I don’t like speed work much either. When it is on my schedule I plan a running date with my hubby and we make it a competition. That is about the only way I don’t just give up!

I noticed the cocoa roasted almonds in your picture–I love those! I have been buying the big tub at Sams, where did you find the small packs?