Dinner Salad

I think all entree salads should be BIG HUGE. And I love making my own salads and throwing any and all random fridge goodies right in icon smile Dinner Salad There is something so satisfying about throwing all your produce in one big bowl and everything melding well.

The highlights of today’s mix included spinach, tomatoes, salsa, onions, beans, cheese and tortilla chips. For some reason I love tortilla chips, but could take or leave potato chips.IMG 5860 thumb Dinner Salad

Mid-afternoon I had a piece of bread with PB&J (no pic) and some popcorn. For some reason I have been craving popcorn since my layover in Atlanta on Friday – I think I passed by some place that smelled like it.IMG 5857 thumb Dinner Salad

Running Hiatus – Yesterday was the first time since I was banned from running that I actually wanted to run. I haven’t missed it much because I can’t run outside in MD right now and really don’t enjoy the treadmill. So, the timing is at least good for this lay-off.

Yesterday as we were driving through CA with the sun shining I thought, “I wish I could go for a run tomorrow…”

Boo. I am really really sad about not being able to run, but I just haven’t let myself think about it. Up until now I’ve been distracting myself with new gym classes and knowing it’s so cold out makes me want to stay inside anyways.

But, today was rough and I am very depressed about not being able to run. I am scared I am losing fitness and that running will be unpleasant when I start again.

Okay, that pity party is over.

I am still really tired today. I guess I am still recovering from Vegas icon wink Dinner Salad

Totally.Worth.It.

Comments

I can totally relate about missing running. An injury in late October left me not able to run until about 2 weeks ago after a lot of months of pain. Going from running 5 miles effortlessly to not being able to do anything was very hard for me. I’m s-l-o-w-l-y easing back into running to avoid injury by running for about 20 minutes on the treadmill. It feels great to be back and I appreciate the joys of running so much more post injury.

2. Ashley C says

Glad you had a good time in Vegas and sorry you’re missing running. I know how you feel, but it is good to know you will eventually be able to do it again and you’re doing the best for your body. I always think how much it would suck to get paralyzed or something like that so just be thankful that that is not the case!!

Hang in there. Just think of how good running will feel what you get back out there again :) I had to take a month off last summer and it was definitely a challenge.

I feel you on the chips. “Real” chips don’t do it for me, but pita chips, tortilla chips, pop chips and baked chips rock my world.

Don’t think like that!! Running will be so much better when you get back! You’ll be very rested and pain free so your runs will be amazing.

it’s totally allowed to mourn a little for the loss of running right now. you miss it, duh! but keep your head up because youll be back out there in no time

and yummy. that’s essentially a taco salad, right?

Having been through this a few different times over the years, I know it sucks but you will run again one day. You’ll appreciate it even more and whatever running fitness you lose will quickly come back. I know it’s small consolation right now. Keep the faith!

You’ll be back at it again soon, don’t worry. Probably just when the weather starts to warm up here. Look at this as an opportunity to increase your fitness in other areas–maybe challenge yourself with a push-up goal or something. I know you have a plan to do different exercises everyday, but maybe just changing focus will help. That was the only way that I got through taking my 2 months off…I had to remind myself constantly that I was focusing on getting strong so that I could be a better runner after I was healed.

When I was having knee problems a few years ago I was giving the running ban too. It sucked, but try to keep your chin up! Think of it as a time to experiment with all kinds of other options, rather than being forced to give up something. Maybe that will help a little!

9. Amelia says

If it makes you feel any better, I took a whole month off from running in the fall after a back injury and when I started again it didn’t take much time at all to get right back into it — and I certainly haven’t run a marathon or put in the high mileage you have!!

10. Lauren says

Monica,
    I’ve had heel pain since Thursday and missed my Saturday and Monday runs. I feel like crap not being able to run and am also worried about losing running fitness. I have an appointment with an orthopedist later this week. Have you ever experienced a tightness in the back/bottom of your heel? It started when I was running down a hill and kinda felt like I had a pebble in my shoe. It wasn’t exactly painful at the time but more of a strange sensation. Since then it was a weird stabbing (but not painful) in the very center of my heel. I hate life right now. :( I feel your pain.

Completely the same way. Not a fan of potato chips at all, but LOVE tortilla chips. I’m really sorry about your hiatus, but like the above commenter said, you’ll not appreciate it SO much more! I know I will. And I know what you mean about wanting to run in your location. I only have a few months here in SLO, and I LOVE running here. I don’t like the idea of “wasting” this time not running! I’ll miss it once I leave.

Sorry you can’t run but glad to hear you’re sticking to the doctor’s orders! I want to run outside SO badly tomorrow, but it’s supposed to be rainy, windy, and possible snowing. :(