Go Bananas!!!

My mom sent me an email with many interesting facts about bananas yesterday. I loved it and thought I’d share some of the fun facts:IMG 6927 thumb Go Bananas!!!

• Bananas have been called “The World’s Most Popular fruit”
  • They originated in Malaysia (History of bananas)
  • The average naner has 100 calories, 3 grams of fiber, vitamin B6 and potassium
  • Rub the inside skin of a banana on a mosquito bite to help calm inflammation
  • Fun Fact: Monica got stopped at LAX security for having a banana in her purse
monicawithbanana thumb Go Bananas!!!

I usually use a whole banana in my oatbran and today was no different.

In the mix: oat bran, naner, chia seeds, water, cinnamon, stevia, vanilla. This bowl was steaming so I added some Chobani Strawberry Banana yogurt to cool it off.IMG 6921 thumb Go Bananas!!!

The yogurt didn’t help as much as I would have liked. I hate that I don’t really enjoy hot oats when the weather gets warmer. I always struggle with this because I’m convinced that oats are the “healthiest, most filling” breakfast option, but hate making myself eat something I don’t like. IMG 6920 thumb Go Bananas!!! Summer breakfast options are coming soon icon smile Go Bananas!!!

I am meeting my dad for lunch today. He’s in town for business and I’m excited!

See you later…

Question: Your feelings on bananas? Love ‘em, Hate ‘em? Ever get stopped by security for them?

Comments

1. D says

I feel like I always leave annoying advice on your blog, but I totally understand a lot of what you say so I just hope some of my thoughts can help!

I also convince myself that some meals are inherently healthier than others, and sometimes it makes NO sense. Oats are filling and healthy, but you definitely shouldn’t eat something you don’t like. My advice is to think about WHY you feel that way. For example, is it the carbs? Fiber? Calories/volume? Then, figure out exactly how to apply that to another breakfast. I don’t really eat oats so I don’t know for sure all the details, but I do this with other food. So for example, figure out a breakfast that has the exact same amount of carbs, fiber, etc and then you’ll feel better knowing that, no matter what you “convince” yourself, the new breakfast is exactly the same (or as close as possible) nutritionally. For example, look at eating some whole grain bread with hummus as a carb + fat/protein, which is similar to oats and pb, etc. I know it’s not exactly the same, but I find that it helps me put things into perspective!

• D says

i forgot to add that i actually HAVE been stopped by airport security! i was asked if i was bringing any food items in, and i said no, then confessed that i had a banana in my purse. i was sent to the agricultural security department and given extra screening and questioning. wish i was kidding!

D – yeah, there is not much legitimate reasoning for me to think oatmeal is superior above other breakfasts I eat. It’s just a food I have labeled as “ideal”

I appreciate your comments :) Thanks.

I eat a banana a day!!! My only problem is, when I throw them in the purse – I usually end up with a bruised banana. But I like ‘em green, yellow and even yellow with brown. Mmmmmm

Gotta LOVE my yellow buds…
    My favourite ways to eat banana is with rolled oats or in a yogurt mess… They´re so sweet and healthy!
    Have a great day, Monica – amazing post!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

4. Yasmin says

Can you believe I believed the hype when diet gurus were saying bananas were bad for you?! I gave them up for awhile but who was I kidding? I love ‘em too much!! With almond butter or melted chocolate I am in heaven.

Aww! Have fun with your dad!! You must be very excited :)

I love bananas, like really love them. Always have always will. Our bond is strong. I love them plain, with PB, in a pb sandwich, in oats, but not in my cereal or yogurt. Weird, right?

i’m a really new reader and i’ve been enjoying your updates. :)

bananas are my absolute FAVORITE. my son really loves them, too. he’s 15 months old and will hardly eat anything else haha! i love them pretty much any way and i use them a lot with my son to get him to eat other things (mixing them in).

i forgot… i’m also not a huge fan of warm breakfasts in the summer (i’m so not natured) but oats don’t bother me TOO much. can’t wait to read about some cooler options, though. :)

I violently hate hot oatmeal with a passion, but oats are filling so I’m all over breakfast cookies made with oats. I’m obsessed with them. You should try them out! Same filling level, but it’s nice and cool.

I love bananas, but I can’t say that I’ve been stopped by security for having one in my purse. I eat a banana every morning and now that I’ve broken out the blender for warm weather smoothies, I’ve been using another banana in my smoothie.
    Hot cereal during warm weather times makes me sweat while I eat.

Have a fun lunch with your dad.

I love bananas and eat one almost every day.

I have never been stopped by security for a banana but I did have a metal spoon that caused me some issues – I had brought it for my lunch!

I love nanas in stuff (oats, breads, puddings, etc) or with nutbutter on them, but don’t usually just eat one plain. I am a fan though, and love the tidbit about the skin helping mosquito bites. That may come in handy now that the weather is getting warmer.

12. Ashley C says

Love ‘em. My family calls me “banana girl” cuz I have to always have them well stocked in the house & eat one every morning. I used to hate them as a kid though. Same with oatmeal and now they’re both my favorite

I love bananas! except now I cannot get that Gwen Stefani song out of my head. ugh.

also – hi. :) delurking (finally) because I love your blog and very down-to-earth approach.

Great evening, could be here is towards situation merely well, i%u2019ve become executing study concerning your webpage which%u2019s why it is extremely obviously pro. I include been developing a fresh unique writings with one another with attempting return glance good, whenever in addition to feel a remedy i%u2019ve damage it. Recommendations on how burdensome was referred to as the to ensure that you site? Properly any human being much for instance me lacking an occurence accomplish this, ahead that complete folks boost web should possess associated with chewing completely up receiving that may done plus?

Can I just say exactly what a relief to get somebody that actually knows what theyre speaking about online. You certainly discover how to bring a problem to light and earn it important. The best way to should read this and see why side of the story. I cant believe you aren’t more popular as you definitely have the gift.

You are so nice! I do not assume Ive look over anything such as this before. So amazing to search out anyone with several unique thoughts on this subject. realy appreciate it for starting this particular up. this web site is certainly something that is required on the internet, anyone with a little originality. useful job for sending something that new to the net!

The Zune concentrates on being a Portable Media Player. Not a web browser. Not a game machine. Maybe in the future it’ll do even better in those areas, but for now it’s a fantastic way to organize and listen to your music and videos, and is without peer in that regard. The iPod’s strengths are its web browsing and apps. If those sound more compelling, perhaps it is your best choice.

My wife and i have been very contented Emmanuel managed to round up his inquiry from the precious recommendations he made while using the web pages. It’s not at all simplistic just to continually be releasing concepts the others might have been making money from. And we all remember we have got the blog owner to thank for that. The explanations you’ve made, the easy blog navigation, the friendships your site help to promote – it’s everything superb, and it’s assisting our son in addition to the family do think this subject is exciting, which is certainly really fundamental. Many thanks for all!

I simply wished to thank you very much yet again. I’m not certain the things that I could possibly have carried out without the entire creative concepts shared by you directly on this topic. It previously was an absolute troublesome crisis in my opinion, however , being able to see the specialised tactic you dealt with it forced me to cry with delight. Now i am thankful for this work and then expect you find out what a great job you have been getting into training some other people via your web blog. Most likely you haven’t met all of us.

Next time Someone said your site, Hopefully it doesnt disappoint me just as much as this place. I am talking about, It was my substitute for read, however actually thought youd have something interesting to express. All I hear is a number of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy trying to find attention.

Trackbacks

1. …Recent Blogroll Additions…

Wow, marvelous weblog format! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for? you made running a blog look easy. The full look of your web site is magnificent, well as} the content material…