Better Short then Sorry!

I had to cut my run very short today because there was what appeared to be a very drunk guy on the path. As I was coming up from behind him I could see him weaving around and flailing his arms as he spoke to himself. He was obviously upset and I didn’t want to encounter him like this.

Before that, I saw him at the start of my run sitting with another man. He was holding the other (more drunk) guy up. Then, on the way back I saw drunk guy #2 laying by the path and drunk guy #1 walking away by himself.

There was no one else around so I made a judgment call that I couldn’t fix the situation alone. I took a short cut home and called the police so someone could come out and help drunk guy #2 who was still laying by the path.

What would you have done?

Run – 3.6 miles. The weather was cool and misty =  sooo refreshing after my hot Florida runs these last two days!

Since I’ve been out of town for 5 days, my fridge is bare. I threw together the last of the cottage cheese, a vita top and PB for breakfast. IMG 8993 thumb Better Short then Sorry!

It tastes better than it looks icon smile Better Short then Sorry!

Can I just say whipped cottage cheese is the best thing ever?!IMG 8991 thumb Better Short then Sorry!

Wednesday Plans:

- grocery shopping

- write Breathe post

- make moving truck reservations

- make flight reservations

- hang out with Kristin

- catch up on emails!

Comments

Ohhh I would have turned around and run home too. And good for you for calling the police! I had to call the police after a run one time because I saw a dog fight; an un-leased, violent dog attacked a dog on a leash. I was a stressed the whole rest of the day!

Hey, I just found your blog- love it!! Calling the cops was definitely a good thing- I actually just read an article where everyone thought this drunk homeless guy was passed out- but he was dying!! He laid there all day before someone thought to call the cops- well done you~

Sounds like you did the right thing. Safety first. You never know what might happen and if you’re alone on the run that’s NOT safe.

4. Jess says

I had a similar situation when I was living in downtown Pittsburgh. This drunk guy was laying down on the sidewalk screaming ‘help me, help me” while I was running and I just ignored him because he looked sketch. Then he was like “help me take my pants off and make love to me” …Uh yeah, thank god I was a block from my apt!!! Never ran so fast in my life!

You definitely did the right thing. Better safe than sorry especially when you are by yourself!

Woah girl, I think you definitely made the right decision by cutting your run short. There is no reason to put yourself in danger just to get in more miles. Good for you for listening to your gut instincts.

On another note….LOVE whipped cottage cheese. I can’t do Ricotta so the whipped cottage cheese is such a great substitute! :)

I think you did exactly the right thing! You thought of your own safety and then tried to help the guy by calling the police. Sounds like the best way to go about a difficult scenario.

I would have avoided the situation like you did. Good call on calling the cops though!

Friendship dairies makes the BEST cottage cheese. I can’t even eat any other brand because there’s is so good and so high in protein. Delicious!

Avoiding them would definitely be my choice. I don’t know if I would have thought to call the cops though. My heart would still be pumping from thinking about what could have happened!

We still cannot quite assume that I really could often be one of those particular staring at the important points seen on yuor web blog. My children and that i are sincerely thankful for your personal generosity as well as giving me possibility pursue our chosen profession path. Published info Managed to get through the web-site.