Run or Dance

This morning I was super excited to try something new on my long run. I finally decided to run with music! I know, I know this is crazy talk. I have been running for 5 years without music. I trained for 2 marathons without music. But, today I decided to give this whole tunes thing a whirl.

Last night Ben loaded up my phone with music and this morning I pressed “random” and was on my way.

This was probably the easiest 15 miles I’ve ever ran. I’d like to credit all that popcorn I ate last night (after all, salty carbs are my pre-run fuel of choice). But, I think the music had a big part of it too :)

Right when I hit 15 miles Pitbull came on and I didn’t want to stop running. But, I knew I shouldn’t keep running (my knee started to bother me around mile 14) so I pulled a Snooki and decided to dance right then and there.

My own post-15 miler dance party… IMG_9985

IMG_9987 IMG_9984

The Washing Machine :IMG_9990

IMG_9991

I dunno, who has better moves though. Me or Snooki…

Pre-run fuel: Whole wheat hot dog bun with almond butter and jelly and iced coffee

IMG_9975 IMG_9978

Post-run fuel: Smoothie in a Bowl! IMG_9994

In the mix: Ice, Protein Powder, Spinach, Strawberries, Chia seeds, Almond MilkIMG_9995

Toppings: Banana Cheerios, Bear Naked Granola, PB Puffins

This is a big bowl and it was piled HIGH!!!

IMG_9998

And last week when I said it would be my last long run in Pico, I lied. I figured the music would help with boredom and it did. My average pace was 9:06.

I think it’s time for me to shift from my hand held water bottle to my waist pack since it holds more liquid. I had to stop at someone’s water hose to refill!

I’ve also decided I don’t like to eat on my long runs and would prefer to find a sports drink with carbs and electrolytes instead. The search is on…IMG_9981

My 15 mile splits:

Mile 10: 9:19

Mile 11: 9:24

Mile 12: 9:07

Mile 13: 9:11

Mile 14: 9:10

Mile 15: 9:12

Dance Party: Slow, but fun :) I think I’m a running with music convert!

Yesterday I hit up Costco and bought a watermelon and some cherries. I know you’re not surprised. IMG_9736

And we saw Dinner for Schmucks. It wasn’t funny.

Now I’ve got to slap on some sunscreen and hit up the OC Fair for some fried butter. Wish me luck.

Comments

great job on the 15 miles! i’m actually currently debating whether to listen to music today on my LR or not. decisions decisions :)

2. Christy says

I don’t know how you’ve lasted this long without music! It is what motivates me the most. Glad you had a great run. Have you tried ONE Coconut Water? I am currently obsessed with the pineapple flavor. Light, refreshing and full of replenishing electrolytes. :)

3. Angela says

That flavor of sport beans is nassssty!! I love the beans, but the cherry with caffeine are foul.

Great run!!!

Awesome job on the time for your run. Let us know if you find a drink that works for you. I’m getting to the point in training where I need to bring fuel, but I don’t think my stomach could handle eating. And I like your post-15-miler dance break, it makes me want to bust a move the next time I hit the pavement.

Haha, love that dance party!! You are WAY better than Snooki. I never run with music either. I used to. I think it depends on my mood, it really does help sometimes!!

You should try coconut water!! Sweet and filled with electrolytes. It apparently even absorbs better than water so you have to pee less. :) Seriously, so awesome while running!

Pitbull has been my boy for years. Did you get The Floor is on Fire? It’s a long run must … or any run must.

PS, I’m a rather new blog stalker.

I can’t imagine working out without music! I would never be able to do that. It’s probably why I can never get into swimming. I get bored way too easily.

8. Lorin says

Oh wow, good job on the 15 miles!! It’s not slow to me!! Anyways, how was the deep fried butter? I had deep fried oreos at the Del Mar Fair, but deep fried butter was a bit much for me.

9. Amanda says

What a great run! I can’t fathom running 15 miles. Right now 4 miles seems long. Music does make all the difference for me, and I’m glad music took the monotony our of your 15 miles!

That’s a tremendous training run Monica! Awesome!

We’ll need a full review of fair food when you get back! I love spending a Friday evening there chowing down the fried stuff!