Deep Fried Butter

We finally made it to the OC Fair today!IMG 0257 thumb Deep Fried Butter

My brother Michael and his girlfriend Heather, accompanied Ben and I icon smile Deep Fried Butter IMG 0227 thumb Deep Fried Butter

We all were hungry when we got there and went straight to the food. There are a ton of choices, none of which are healthy, but that’s not the point of the fair, right?

Michael got a turkey leg. I didn’t realize turkeys were so big. I suspect this might actually be an ostrich leg. IMG 0226 thumb Deep Fried Butter

And Heather went the healthy route with a corn. We don’t like her anymore. Just kidding.IMG 0221 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Ben and I shared a Cheese on a Stick from Hot Dog on a Stick.IMG 0223 thumb Deep Fried Butter

I used to want to work at Hot Dog on a Stick because I thought the uniforms were super cute! IMG 0224 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Ben also got a massive Italian sausage of some sort. Actually, everything at the fair is pretty massive!IMG 0229 thumb Deep Fried Butter

After our initial food fest we walked around looking at the expos and then hit up the rides. My brother and Heather wanted to go on an extra ride so Ben and I decided to explore a bit more

IMG 0232 thumb Deep Fried Butter

I really didn’t eat much of the cheese stick and  I knew walking around the fair after I ran 14 miles this morning would require some kind of nutrition besides loads and loads of fried foods (which would be coming shortly!).

I found a booth that sold fish tacos and figured it would tide me over until I decided to rock the deep fried butter.

IMG 0237 thumb Deep Fried Butter

I also spotted a margarita booth and decided to go for it. I’ve been stressed about the move and new job and this was exactly what I needed icon smile Deep Fried Butter

IMG 0240 thumb Deep Fried Butter

But, margaritas make things like “Australian Battered Potatoes” sound good and we stopped at this booth too.

IMG 0241 thumb Deep Fried Butter

I kept calling them Beer Battered Fries and everyone insisted on correcting me. I think they needed beer for some reason.

Australian Battered Potatoes are potato slices battered, fried and topped with cheese and ranch dressing. Oh yes I did.

IMG 0243 thumb Deep Fried Butter

My attempt to get Ben to do an Australian accent failed, but did make for a good laugh.

IMG 0244 thumb Deep Fried Butter

After we met up with my brother we decided to seek out the true reason we all came to the fair today = Deep Fried Butter.

IMG 0248 thumb Deep Fried Butter

The Coronary Cafe is serving up food that should be illegal more so than any drug, but at least they’re honest.

This sign says, “Warning: These products are not recommended by your cardiologist, the surgeon general or Michelle Obama. But all we care about is that our customers love them.”IMG 0245 thumb Deep Fried Butter

They offer a Coronary Combo that comes with Deep Fried Butter and Chocolate Covered Bacon. R.I.P fair goers, R.I.P.

IMG 0249 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Ben ordered the chocolate covered bacon earlier in the day. It wasn’t life changing. IMG 0213 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Ben and I decided to share an order of Deep Fried Butter in Cinnamon (you can also order it in garlic). We had very high expectations since we’ve been talking about it for so long and I have to say it did not disappoint (as I feel often happens with anything I build up too much).

IMG 0251 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Deep Fried Butter is basically a churro filled with melted butter. See the bitten one below – it has a hole in the middle that has butter in it. This makes for a very moist and decadent churro – the best you’ll ever have.

IMG 0254 thumb Deep Fried Butter

Heather got a Bunuello – it is a tradition Mexican dessert. I know there are a lot of different versions, but the way I know it is a deep fried tortilla covered with sugar and cinnamon

IMG 0256 thumb Deep Fried Butter

It was HUGE (TWSS)

IMG 0255 thumb Deep Fried Butter

And so that ends my day of living life dangerously via reckless food choices. But, like Ben says, “You’re going to be dead before you know it.” Read: Live life to the fullest!

It’s just that now we might be dead a little sooner than we know it. Oh well. It was fun knowing you guys, but I don’t regret that butter one bit.

pin it button Deep Fried Butter

Comments

I laughed at the “Australian” battered potatoes :P Every time i’m in america I always see things labelled as Australian that people here would have no idea about.
    I guess Australia is exotic? and makes people buy things

I LOVE the lemonade from HDOS. We used to have them here but I guess Australians don’t like hot dogs or something, because all the stores closed :(

Yeah we don’t really have ranch dressing over in Australia. But we do have ‘potato cakes’ which are big round slices of potato deep fried, that’s sort of what those look like. They are amazing (well I guess any variant of potato deep fried with salt is great). Okay now you’re making me want some good old Aussie fish and chips!

3. ida says

looks like you guys had a great day! I saw a news piece about the fried butter guy- he makes some crazy stuff and it all looks so good. I need to find a fair asap.

4. Nicole says

The potatoes are also known as “potato scallops” over here however they are generally eaten with tomato or bbq sauce. They sell them at fish and chip shops only or frozen at the supermarket. So you get your order of chips, fish and more potato lol. I know lots of people who get potato scallops only, they are good :)
    P.S you totally sold the deep friend butter lol.

I found your blog through the community of health bloggies and saw the Australian battered potatoes and had to comment! I’m from Melbourne and they aren’t even a big thing here! Don’t think I’ve ever had them before – but they look yummy :)

I was wondering how one would deep fry butter; I’m glad you cleared that up.
    Those Australian potatoes look mighty tasty.
    I’m glad you had fun at the fair!

7. Amanda says

I thought you were joking when you said deep fried butter! I didn’t know that existed…. and I live where the chicken wing was invented! I bet that tasted good…

Deep fried butter? It sounded disgusting and it looks disgusting! Now, I’m no elitist, I have tried a deep fried Snickers and it was sinfully delicious. I just don’t like butter! lol

oy vey – I don’t think I could bring myself to order deep fried butter.

That said, I’d sure be up for eating it if someone ELSE ordered it…but I love churros. I really thought it’d be a chunk-0-butter.

10. Karissa says

omgg I went to the OC fair last week!… my insane friends ordered both the deep fried butter and chocolate covered bacon too! ahhh lol… looked pretty nasty but it was hilarious and fun. Sounds like you had a great time :)

I wish very much that there had been such a stand at the state fair! I only found deep-fried Twinkies… well, a few other things, but I didn’t try them. But deep-fried butter?! *want*

I’m going to sound really sanctimonious, but all that deep-fried business looks really gross. The best-looking food in this post is definitely the fish tacos! The whole idea of deep-fried butter just makes my arteries (and stomach) hurt. Way, way, waaaaay too rich.

love it! I just moved to Iowa and my sister was doing some research for me and found over 50 food items on a stick available at the Iowa state fair! My favorite is the octodog which is a hot dog in the shape of an octopus (on a stick of course!)

On a side note I know how exhausting moving is (good for you for keeping up with the running!) I just moved 3 weeks ago and i’m still tired!