Fat Is Not A Feeling

I originally heard the term “Fat is not a feeling” from Roni’s Weigh. I love the saying and whenever I hear someone say, “I feel fat.” I always reply – “Fat is not a feeling. Happy, mad, sad – those are feelings, but fat is a whole other thing.”

Well, today I felt fat.

I went to go try on some running clothes. I was looking for a few pieces of running shorts and shirts to get me through the rest of my training.

When I tried the clothes on in the dressing room I caught a glance of parts of my body that I would rather not acknowledge exist (damn those face to face mirrors). Anyways, for the rest of the day I felt fat. I don’t know if I would have still felt fat if not for the dressing room experience. But, I do know a few minutes in a room full of mirrors shouldn’t ruin your whole day like it did mine.

After thinking about it for too long a while I realized that I am on the right track to reach my goals and really am not going to let a bad day derail my efforts. I realize even the skinniest girls sometimes feel fat (and if I may, please don’t call yourself fat if you’re actually skinny around me as it makes me feel like a giant, obese monster).

The moral of the story is I may have felt stressed, happy, tired, mad or confused today but fat just isn’t a feeling.

Lunch – I made the mistake again today of waiting way too long to eat. Then, I couldn’t find a can opener (I wanted beans with lunch) and I quickly threw some cheese in a tortilla and chomped on it while I made this salad.IMG 0617 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

Served with chips to scoop up the guacamole goodness.IMG 0618 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

For dessert I ate this cookie from my HLS swag bag. It didn’t change my life, but I was still hungry at that point and would have taken any cookie.IMG 0620 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

While running errands this morning I picked up an iced coffeeIMG 0612 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

and brought along carrots. I think I get some kind of chewing relief from crunching into carrots, almost like it’s therapeutic. Isn’t that sick? Kinda yes.IMG 0614 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

Mid-afternoon I dug into watermelon and a handful of cashews (which are my fave nut, but I’ve yet to try cashew butter). IMG 0625 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

Dinner was a frozen LC meal on top of a bed of broccoli and carrots. I really overdid it on carrots today and am going to get sick of them at this rate. I put hot sauce on this after the photo shoot. I am addicted to condiments and hope I don’t turn into one of those people who carries around a bottle of hot sauce in her purse. IMG 0622 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

And for dessert…I bought this half gallon of ice cream. Doesn’t it look tiny in my massive hand?IMG 0626 thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling

It’s an inside joke in my family that my mom and I have the largest hands and feet of any women in the world. I really need to call up the Guinness Book of World Records about this.

Question: If you could break a Guinness World Record what would it be? What record should I go for?

Bonus Question: Do you get a lifetime supply of Guinness if you break a record? If so, sign me up.

guinnessisgoodforyou thumb Fat Is Not A Feeling
pin it button Fat Is Not A Feeling

Comments

I agree with Sana. I nearly died during my half marathon! And you can di it everyday! WOW!
    Btw, i heart cashews too! I was addicted to it. cashew butter is ok. but i think it would have a more intense flavour if you roast it and blend some yourself (it’s cheaper too). I tried the commercial ones before, but it didn’t have a too intense flavour as i would’ve liked.

I have been one of those hot sauce carrying in my purse girls before. However, after a while it became a pain in the butt so I don’t do it anymore.

It does feel like fat is a feeling sometimes. I’m hormonal right now and I swear for the last 2 days I’ve been feeling fat and spotty, not a good combination! I tend to know the days when I’ll be ok to go shopping, and days when the mirror will be my enemy.

I love that saying too! Fat is not a feeling, but feeling bad about yourself can definitely effect your mood. I am so sorry that you had a bad experience today, but you are so right. EVERYONE has these moments. EVERYONE!!!!! You will be feeling back to your old sexy self in no time. Just look at that picture of the red dress. SMoking! ;)

I think everyone has those days where they just feel… off. No matter how small, medium or large you are, we each have a day when nothing looks ‘right’ no matter what.

you are sooooooo stunning! i think that everyone has days where they feel blahhhhhh. they make me appreciate my “holy moly i look hot” days even more :)

7. Jesse says

Cashews are my favorite nut too! But cashew butter is another story…to me it is too rich, like butter almost in paste form, I can’t eat it. Almond butter and peanut butter are still my favs…I keep reading about this mixed nut butter called Nutzo but I haven’t tried it yet.

Good for you for being able to talk to yourself and realizing that fat is not a feeling. You are not fat anyways! As women we are way too critical of ourselves…

8. Lungs says

I agree with the others who’ve said that (1) you’re gorgeous, and (2) you’re an inspiration for running so far so often (and so fast, relative to me!). But I’m sorry you felt badly and hope you can continue to refocus on your amazingness instead.

I actually was part of a Guinness world record attempt in June for the most kilted runners racing together. Though it’s not official yet, the standing record was 200 runners and there were 1200 runners registered for the race. So, once it’s validated, I’ll be part of a record!

I have gigantic hands too… gives me such a complex. When I was little, I hated playing dollhouse because my huge fingers would knock everything over. Now, I just can’t find gloves or bangles that fit over my monsterous hands. Sigh…

I was going to comment this on the other post but I felt like a creeper, but now seems like the time. I know you’ve said before that your BMI means you are technically overweight, and when you posted the picture of the cut on your side the other day I had the following swirl of thoughts – “Jeez, I wish I looked like that! Wait, isn’t she technically overweight? Her stomach looks amazing. I know I’ve gained weight recently but if she’s overweight and I’m not that must mean I look pretty good too.” So basically – 1. I realized I probably don’t look as fat as I feel, and 2. You look freaking hot!

11. Jen says

I’ve heard many times that eating something crunchy releases stress. In college, “crunchy” meant chips and pretzels. Now, I always turn to carrots as a crunchy relief. I’ve never gotten sick of them either! :) Happy Friday!

12. Orla says

I’m with you on the whole tiny-people-calling-themselves-fat around you thing. I have a friend who’s built like a sparrow (her feet are a size 4 US, I think) who never shuts up about how “fat” she is, despite the fact I and everybody else she knows has quite a few lbs on her, and she knows I’m trying to shape up, unsuccessfully. Nightmare.

I have man hands too, btw :D

13. Maren says

Damn that fat feeling. I get it too. You just made me crave iced coffee. That looks DELISH! And watermelon. Gee thanks. :) I definitely have man hands too, but more like man fingers. I’ve jammed them all playing bball and they are awkwardly long! But I’m 5’10” so I don’t really notice how big they are… oh and if I got guinness for life I would want it to be poured by someone in Ireland…because it really is WAY better there! Hope you aren’t feeling fat today because YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! :D

I agree with what everyone is saying, especially Sana! You are amazing, and the fact that you can run 16 miles AND marathons makes you such an inspiration! I do give you props for realizing that you were probably just stressed or mad.

I love “Fat is not a Feeling” – I always have “fat” feeling days – maybe its the way my pants fit or something. But then I try to remember that my thighs help me run 1/2 marathons and my butt provides a nice cushion when I sit down.

Great post!

I totally fall into the “feeling fat” trap. And let it ruin my whole day. I hate that I let it get to me — it is so counterproductive! It isn’t a feeling. And, damn it, I am going to feel good about myself instead.

I’m not going to say much about the “feeling fat” because I think you said it beautifully. We all feel that way sometimes, you acknowledged it and moved on. Your running schedule alone is amazing to me.

I love the last bit on here about Guinness. You are so funny!

hey, lovely! i am designating today a blog-reading-catchup day.. and i started here! yep. 8 posts, all monica, all love. i hate the feeling you get after dressing room frustrations. that’s why i try not to go into dressing rooms, period. i buy clothes and then if they dont fit when i get home, i will take them back. the only thing i can’t do this with is jeans.. dun dun dun. consequently, i rarely buy jeans. that’s ok, they are pretty dang expensive anyway ;)

that watermelon is enticing. now whenever i see a big ol watermelon on a blog, i think of your cute how-to-cut-a-watermelon video.

hope you and ben have a great weekend! i need to plan a trip out your way one day!

xo

19. Ami says

Hello!

New reader here. I think it’s funny that your family makes fun of the size of your hands. You look like a tall person though, so I assume they are just long. I am actually quite short (5’2″) and one of my friends calls me man-hands because they are so massive compared to the rest of me.

True story. I think I can almost palm a basketball.

Those stupid dressing room mirrors do it to me everytime. I don’t even know why I bother going in them.
    I have giant man hands. And big feet. I’m barely 5’4 and wear a 9-9.5 shoe.

What an amazing post! I’m trying to remove that phrase slowly from my vocab and I love that saying “FAT is NOT a feeling!” I’m going to try and remind myself of that the next time I’m thinking it. :)

Great job, thinking your feelings out and realizing that those mirrors shouldn’t get the best of you.

every girl knows that “feeling”. You just have to remind yourself that people love you for you, not for the way you look. Your are right, fat isn’t a feeling and I need to try harder to not say it when I am full after a meal or when Im moody etc. Anyways, don’t u love the mini ice creams? I do!

I’m so glad I found this post because it was exactly how I was feeling yesterday. Maybe its my PMS or the fact that I’ve been bummed out about my running times, but I have been feeling ‘fat’ and sluggish all week, so much so that I almost bought a mini carrot cake to devour because I thought to myself, well since I feel like a fat kid, I might as well eat like one. Luckily I was able to talk myself out of it and realize that I wasn’t ‘feeling fat’ I was just feeling a little lonely, so I went on a long drive instead. Reading your ‘fat is not a feeling’ post, I can better explain what I was feeling and where my mind was yesterday.

24. L says

Usually I “feel” fat on days when I cut a watermelon, because I end up eating the entire watermelon. Thank you for reminding me that fat is not an emotion – I needed that today!