Today was full of good news and bad news. Some of it personal and some of it not.
Good news: I got my first CSA delivery today! I signed up at the fair a few weeks ago. It was perfect timing because I’ve been wanting to do this for a while. Local and organic – I’m super excited to support this farm.
For those that don’t know CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture”. You can see if there is a CSA program near you at Local Harvest.org. From the website:
Advantages for farmers:
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking
- Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season
- Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they’ve never been known to eat
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
So, with a CSA you are delivered local, in season food – this means you don’t necessarily know what is coming in your box.
Bad news: I have no clue what a lot of this stuff is! I am ashamed to call myself a foodie, food blogger or health nut. I am tragic.
Ah, I recognize this thing – Mr. Plum. I was so happy to see this familiar food I ate it immediately. Confession: If it’s organic, sometimes I don’t wash it. I’m not scared of bugs, only pesticides.
Grapes too! The fruit that keeps on giving.
But back to what I don’t know.
Why would they send me a palm tree? Are those even edible?
Okay I think this is kale. Right?
I hate that I don’t know for sure.
Anyways, let’s have some audience participation…
Name that veggie!
Off topic: I’ve had a nervous feeling all week, like something bad was going to happen and today I got some bad news. Boo. I’m not going to share, but I’m hoping this bad news is also good news in a way. You know?
Anyways, I’m not getting a sticker today, but I’m not worried about it. Today was about getting through it.
Question: Seriously, I need help on the questions above. No joke.
Join the 21 Day Run Camp now!
Do you want to run faster, stronger or longer? Join in!