Too Hot and Too Hilly

I really should have checked the weather report before I got dressed for my run this morning. Long sleeves were a bad call.

Right Now
32 Too Hot and Too Hilly
Feels Like: 93°

Run: I set off in my long sleeves for a tempo run. The goals was to do a 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down with 5 tempo miles in the middle. But, the hills kill me and I didn’t get faster on the miles going out. Luckily, when I turned around, it was downhill.

Here is the breakdown:

Mile 1: 8:41

Mile 2: 8:41

Mile 3: 9:11 The speed isn’t happening uphill icon sad Too Hot and Too Hilly

Mile 4: 9:03 (turned around at 3.5)

Mile 5: 8:13 See! It’s down hill on the way home, but all up hill going out

Mile 6: 8:25

Mile 6.7: 9:21 (cool down)

Moral of the story: I need to find a downhill race if I have a prayer at all.

Before I left I had a small bowl of this new to me cereal. It’s dee-lish, but in a dangerous way. I used to overeat cereal on a daily basis. I’m a lot better now, but sometimes that tired snacking gets me. Better be careful.IMG 3140 thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly

Breakfast was a return of my favorite Cherries Jubilee protein powder in a bowl. IMG 3136 thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly

Toppings: cereal, almonds, raisins…IMG 3137 thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly

Plus some AB on the spoon because I really wanted it. And that’s reason enough. IMG 3134 thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly

By the time I ate breakfast it was 10:30 and I probably waited way too long to eat. I couldn’t get full and ended up eating pasta leftovers and a roll with pumpkin cream cheese too. Now I’m too full! I need to take a step back and Feel my Fullness (IE step 5).

I let the cat explore on the patio this morning. I’m afraid he’s going to run away in an attempt to look for his old home, so I’m scared to let him out. BUT – he was an inside/outside cat at my mom’s. He had a huge yard to explore and I know he used to have the best time climbing my mom’s avocado trees and chasing lizards. I’m torn as to how much freedom I can give him while still keeping him safe. IMG 3129 thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly
I’m putting together a training program for my next race today! This time I’m going to through in some nutrition goals so I show up at the finish line exactly where I want to be icon smile Too Hot and Too Hilly It’s going to be bad ass. Just saying.

poopoutside thumb Too Hot and Too Hilly (source)

Question: Quick! What’s your beverage of choice right now?!

I’m down for water, Diet Dr. Pepper and Iced Tea these days…

pin it button Too Hot and Too Hilly

Comments

That fiber cereal looks tasty!

It’s unusually warm in Portland too…it’s supposed to be 70 degrees? I wore long sleeves thinking it would be cold and rainy. :(

I know, it’s crazy November weather in Portland! I can’t believe I’m still wearing shorts and sunglasses.

I’m loving water right now. MMMMMMMMM

2. Ida says

I’m crushing pretty hard on sobe life water right now.
    I can’t stand running in anything over 80- you should be proud of your tempo run in such hot weather! I can’t wait to read about your new training plan.

There was about an inch of frost on the grass outside my apartment this morning – I won’t see 93 degrees for many, many months.

Great tempo run – up a hill too!

4. Tiffany says

I think I might be your beverage twin. On my desk right now I have 32 ounce bottle of water, a glass of iced tea and a diet dr. pepper from this morning. I am a drink kind of girl – I hate feeling thirsty or dehydrated. Love your blog by the way – I have been stalking/reading for a year, but this is my first time to comment. You have a great, fun writing style and I look forward to your posts on a daily basis.

5. Maren says

Very jealous of those awesome temps! It’s freezin here. But for those temps, I’d say you rocked the tempo! I am currently drinking a Dr. Zevia… I really like it! I haven’t ever had it before, but it complements my WF salad pretty well :) Can’t wait to see your next training plan!!

6. Kristen says

Even though it was hot and hilly, you still kept up a great running pace! Have you always been able to run so quickly or did you have to build up your endurance? I am running my first half marathon in a couple of weeks and would love to be able to run that quickly! I’ll be happy if I can keep up an 11 min/mile pace for my first half…

Ew. I ran at 6am this morning and it was SO hot out. Horrible. I hate this weather.

Iced tea is the best beverage ever. I drink it like it’s going out of style.

8. Jennifer says

I’m strictly a water girl. I have coffee in the morning and the rest of the day it’s water.

Which race did you decide to do next? Did you sign up for the Las Vegas half? I’m doing a half in December…if my IT band keeps up with me :)

I love the cat…that is the story of our poor cats life. He wants outside so bad but we have no safe space for him to explore. Someday…

My preferred drink as of late – water, Mt Dew, chocolate milk. I’m healthy…I know! ;)

The weather where I live has been rather chilly this week, but I am loving it and I cannot wait until the clocks go back this weekend because that means we will have a little more sunlight than we have right now.
    My preferred drinks are Diet Coke, Skim Milk (like it is going out of style), Water, and Skinny Vanilla Latte (hot or iced)!! :)

11. Lungs says

Monica, while fully understanding that this sounds ridiculous, have you thought of using a halter and long leash for kitty? Because of traffic and other factors in my neighbourhood, thats what I do. I usually put my little guy out on his halter if one of us is in the yard with him or can see him from inside, and that way he can get at least a couple of hours outside most days.

In your case, you could use the halter and leash as an interim measure until kitty realizes that he lives with you now, and then stop using it.

Been reading you for a little bit but this is my first comment. Yay! For some reason lately I have been drinking a Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper everyday! Not good for me or my wallet but enjoyable nonetheless :)