2011 Resolutions

I LOVE resolutions. I love fresh starts and the opportunity to establish HUGE, CRAZY and nearly unattainable goals and then go at it. So, even though I failed at some of my resolutions for 2010, I’m making more goals this year.

First, a quick review of last year’s goals

Fitness:

1. Lose 20 pounds – Intuitive Eating, Cut back on sweets, Eat whole foods – I did really well with IE and whole foods, but need to work on the sweets thing again in ‘11. And I need to make changes to my diet if I want to lose weight, changes I wasn’t willing to make in 2010.
  2. Run a 1:45 half marathon and a sub four hour full marathon (yikes!) – This is my biggest disappointment for the year. Shortly after making these goals I got ITB syndrome and was on the injured list for about 2 months. I never trained for a half mary and my full marathon was 4 minutes way from a sub-four.
  3. Do Yoga twice a week (for strength training) – Ba.
  4. Run five races – I DID IT!
  5. Recommit to being vegetarian – I did this for most of the year, until I realized it was interfering with my intuitive eating.

Personal:

1. Enjoy more time with family and friends – I DID IT. Ben and I grew a lot closer together this year and I made a lot of new friends wlEmoticon smile1 2011 Resolutions
  2. Go to a new country – I DID IT. Curacao
  3. Learn Spanish – No, pero voy a tratar de nuevo ano
  4. Choose to be happy – I DID IT. I had a few tough times this year, but I think I’ve really discovered what’s important. And I’m happy.

Professional:

1. Get a good job that I enjoy – No. I’m still looking.
  2. Learn – go back to school or get training. I DID IT! And it’s ongoing.
  3. Improve the blog. I DID IT. I have worked hard to stay consistent on blogging and really hope you guys enjoyed it wlEmoticon smile1 2011 Resolutions

1293795564417 8876790 2011 Resolutions
I have been thinking about my 2011 goals for weeks now. I reviewed my ‘10 goals and gave a lot of thought to what was important to me and what I wanted to accomplish this next year and here’s what I came up with:

2011 Resolutions:

1. Run a sub-four hour marathon. I’m going to do it. I hope you stay to watch wlEmoticon smile1 2011 Resolutions

The Plan:

- Do Body for Life for the first 12 weeks of 2011. Then, slowly transition to increase training mileage and carbs. I am going to focus on weight loss with BFL for 3 months, so will  tweak my training for this time.

*I know weight loss topics bother some people so I’m going to address this on my weight loss tab so you don’t have to read it if you don’t want to. Please do what’s best for you.

- Incorporate speed work in training.

- Race more to become a better runner wlEmoticon smile1 2011 Resolutions

3d74c769f475d0fda34079e06a71ff65b2 2011 Resolutions

2. Make RER better.

I love writing Run, Eat, Repeat. I love the friends I’ve made because of this site and the opportunities it brings. So, improving this is very important to me. I thank you for reading.

The Plan:

- Stay on a blogging schedule.

- Respond to emails same day.

- Do a video and recipe post once a week (each).

- Finish PT certification so I can be a better resource.

3. Save Money for our BIG travel plans and a house.

The Plan:

- Get a job, don’t spend all your money.

Ha.

- Ben and I are going to sit down and make a realistic budget.

- I’m looking for a job so I can contribute to our savings.

4. Run in 6 Different states.

One of my life goals is to run in every state, so I want to knock 6 more off my list this year!

5. No diet soda

Eeek. I drink a lot.

6. Relationship Resolution: One date night a week.

These are my big goals for the year, but I also love making small goals as I go along, so I will be posting monthly goals here too wlEmoticon smile1 2011 Resolutions

Question: Did you make an resolutions? I know it’s not everyone’s thing, just curious.

Comments

Yeah, I have resolutions but I haven’t written them down yet. My big one is to lose 15 lbs by July 2 (my wedding). I was going to do BFL and bought the book, but I don’t think I have it in me with working full time and going to school to dedicate to that program. But, it looks great so I’m giving myself 3 months on Weight Watchers to see how that goes (it seems less crazy-making than counting calories, which I was doing but wasn’t getting anywhere) and then re-evaluate for the final 3 months if need be. Then I want to MAINTAIN the loss and stop the yo-yo cycle I’ve been in for 6 years. My other goals include planning my wedding without killing someone, enjoy being a “wife” and pick up running again once I drop the extra weight. Oh and I want to blog more, especially before BlogHer in August.

Glad you asked? ;-) now you don’t have to read my resolutions post, LOL.

Heh, I used that same ecard today. I love it!

I’m not a resolutions person. Last year my only goal was to increase my weight for the bicep track in BodyPump. This year, I hope to make that increased weight easier to lift.
    I do intend, however, to really practice being thoughtful this year. Thinking before acting or speaking, but also being thoughtful of others and how I treat them and consider their feelings.

Lots of luck with your 2011 goals!

3. Melissa says

Hola!
    I don’t normally make New Year’s Resolutions however this year I did….I am feeling like I need some positive changes in my life.

My resolutions for this year include:
    Run a sub 2:30 half marathon (I ran my first half marathon in September…I am running my second half in May)
    Stretch after running!!
    Eat a less processed diet and stop demonizing food
    Apply for my MSW
    Look smoking hot as a bridesmaid in my brother’s wedding (ha! I’m allowed a superficial goal right?)
    I am also doing Body for Life for the first 12 weeks (today was day 1 for me)
    Pay down my credit card bill (being a grown-up sucks at times)
    Yoga 2-3x/week

Happy New Year!

All of my resolutions this year are about improving the foundation I already have. I’m very happy with the healthy life I’m living now, so I’m just working on being more awesome.

Love this! I wanted to make 11 resolutions for 2011, but I realized I don’t have that many things I want to change. I’m happy you realize how good your life is :)

I will say, a few years ago, my answer would have been totally different. It took about three years of fitness resolutions to get me stoked on my fit self. And realizing that certain dreams aren’t the kind I can force into a time frame (like doing pistol squats, not sure if that’s every possible).

Thank you. =)

I really love BFL. I’ve done it a few times before and had pretty good results despite not following it exactly how I should. I think you’ll do great!

One date night a week is a great resolution too!

I love setting goals and looking back on them later to see how I did. I just posted some goals and it makes me excited for this year!

6. Maren says

I love your resolutions! I did 6 solid weeks and 2 crappy weeks of BFL. Christmas ruined me, so I quit doing it, but it’s an incredible program and I definitely believe in it. I am not continuing because I am going to start training for my first half marathon next week! But I do think you will really like it! And it might help with your intuitive eating since you will be eating every 2-3 hours! It helped with my IE tremendously! Good luck! I can’t wait to follow along on your journey through 2011!

Awesome post, Monica!
    I’m glad you could conquer so many 2010 goals.
    You can sure succeed on the 2011 resolutions, too! I’m sure of it.
    So excited to hear about your running adventures :)
    Happy New Year, love!
    xoxo

Hahaha, I love that picture from someecards! I thought last year would be the year I resolved to lose weight, but I really did gain more than 20 pounds this year, so I’m hoping to take it off this year :) I’m not focusing on the weight loss so much as being healthy, so I don’t go crazy.

I think this year will be the year you run a sub-4 hour marathon. I can’t wait to hear about it!

Your resolutions seem very realistic! I love RER so I am glad to hear it will be going strong in 2011. The one date night a week is a great idea I might add to my resolutions – too often we get so caught up with work/eat/sleep and barely even talk before we hit the pillow! Happy New Year! Did you get to do your milk toast?

Monica, I love the fact that you looked back to see where you are going. So many times we don’t look back and continue to make the same mistakes year after year. I realized today that I will be 30 in 280 days. Wow really. I sat down today and made a huge goal lose 58 lbs by the day I turn 30. http://ashandlewplus2.com/2011/01/01/280-days-to-a-new-me-lew-that-is/ I think I can do, I think I can do it, I know I can do it. It was great meeting you in San Fran, I hope this year rocks for you.
    Lew

Love your New Year’s Resolutions. I think that giving up diet soda is a great resolution! I don’t judge people who are addicted to it (hey, they are my relatives!) but I wish I could explain to them the dangerous effects of aspartame and how they would be much more satisfied (and less bloated) with drinking 1 can of REAL soda rather than 4 liters of diet. Of course no carbonated drinks at all is ideal, but hey, subtle changes are what stick! One of my resolutions is to look in the mirror everyday and give myself a compliment; it can be about anything like a recent test, my new hairdo, my personality, or just a personal accomplishment. So that is 365 compliments and I plan on writing them in my journal every night. I’m super excited for this self-loving resolution, haha :) Happy New Years, doll!

I haven’t really made any finite new years resolutions, but one thing I’m going to be trying to do is try different foods. I’m in a pretty good rut. I need to expand my horizons..and not just in food. I Guess just all around XP

Looks like you have some realistic goals to aim for this year and you did great with last year’s!

This is the first year in the last several that I actually had a desire to write some resolutions, but I haven’t actually gotten to it yet. I hope “less procrastinating” isn’t on the list, hehe.

14. Katie says

I’m addicted to diet soda too … and one of my New Year’s resolution too. I swear I need a Diet Coke patch!

Love reading your blog!! Can’t wait to see what states you check off your list in your request to hit up a race in every state :-)

Happy New Year!!