An Ounce of Tempo

For my last 4 training plans I have written speed work and tempo runs into it, but NEVER end up doing them. I don’t like feeling uncomfortable speed repeats. But today I set out for a tempo run. It was rough because I’m not used to huffing and puffing on a run. I almost wanted to explain to passersby that I was not in fact dying, but trying to run faster. I’m sure that would have only made it worse though.

In the end I did 1 mile warm up, 3 miles tempo – 8:39, 8:32, 8:09, .5 mile cool down. I’m committing to doing 1 tempo run each week in this training cycle to help my speed and ending 1 other run with a fast last mile.

Then it was time for breakfast!

IMG 7297 thumb An Ounce of Tempo

I’m out of plain yogurt and didn’t think a fruit flavor would work with my Pumpkin Spice Vitatop, so I paired it with cottage cheese, heated pumpkin with splenda and PP spice and lots of Peanut Butter.

IMG 7298 thumb An Ounce of Tempo

I ended up grabbing a banana to go with this and some extra PB. I haven’t been showing my iced coffee with breakfast because I don’t have a cute iced coffee cup and use this massive shaker thing.

IMG 7305 thumb An Ounce of Tempo

It’s another beautiful day in Orange County!!! I know we’re going to get another cold front before spring and summer arrive so I’m trying to enjoy every minute of it.

IMG 7311 thumb An Ounce of Tempo

Question: Bread or Chips? What do you prefer for restaurants to place on the table when you arrive?

I vote BREAD! (Don’t tell me you ask for it not to be brought to the table either, because I won’t want to eat with you then. Or I’ll eat it all myself…)

pin it button An Ounce of Tempo

Comments

I seriously think I am the only person on the planet who enjoys a tempo run! When I ran the Disney Half last year I was up to 6:30/7:00 min tempos, yet I think I am sick for acturally liking it ;)

I looooooove bread!!!! I am a carb lover!! I will eat breat at every meal if I could!!!

I also love tortillas which of course is the mexican bread, there is a restaurant in town that serves homemade tortillas instead of bread and they also serve chips……ammmmmmazing! Those date nights I wear my stretchy pants! ;)

Bread. Good, fresh, bakery bread. Not loaf, Nature’s Pride, dry bread. Preferably warm with butter and pumpkin butter.

Comfort food at it’s finest (and needed here in Pittsburgh, it’s freezing!)

Lol I love that you want to explain that to passerby! I always want to explain that I look like I’m dying because I’ve just done like 8 miles. And if it’s a Mexican restaurant with homemade chips, YUM, I cannot get enough of those!

Nice job on the tempo run!~
    I like this quote from Jillian Michaels… “get comfortable with being uncomfortable.” I had to keep repeating this to myself while doind speedwork (which I hate because it’s….hard!)
    Be glad you moved from MD–here in VA we’re awaiting MORE snow. I have flashbacks to last year. {shudder}

I’m a bread girl all the way. I feel like I end up eating some chips even though I’m not really into them when they’re there. But really good bread is a beautiful thing.

Another gorgeous day in Iowa too – 19* and flurries! ;)

I’m for the bread, all the way. I actually just had a conversation with a co-worker about my love of bread and pasta.

7. Kellie says

Have you tried the Zen Bakery Muffins? If you like vitatops, try these. The ingredient list is short and they are filling. I love the carrot cake ones. They taste like pumpkin spice. You can get them at Whole Foods or Mothers. So good.

Tempo runs are SO TOUGH, way to go getting through it.

No contest – bread – I love it! I can’t stand those articles that tell you to ask the waiter not to bring the bread bowl – does anyone actually do that? The correct course of action is to eat so much bread you are full before the meal but then proceed to eat your meal anyway. And put real butter on the bread too.

I LOVE speedworkouts when I can get myself to do them- which isn’t often..however I have more of an excuse now, since I run at 5:30 in the morning, and I can’t go into the track that early XP Just thinking about speed workouts makes me nervous (like at this very moment mentioning them). It’s not that they’re so bad, it’s just my mentality, that makes them so much worse- which is also why I love them so much, becuase afterwards, having done them, I feel on top of the world. -Having not died or collapsed into a crying ball of mush; this being the one time ran mile repeats on my old team, being one of the slower ones (6:45..seriously, I was one of the slower ones O_o), the coach put me in the front, about 15-20 seconds ahead of people. I remember just about crying everytime I came around, but he’s always say “Go!” and hit the stopwatch before i had time. Lol. I’m glad he did now. I wasn’t in physical pain, just severly uncomfortable emotionally thinking I couldn’t do it…Man, this is making me want to do a speed workout, feel horribly uncomfortable and feel awesome afterwards becasue I did it, lol..
    Oh and for me with the bread or chips..hmm, eh, either. I don’t really ever like eating them by themselves ha. Maybe chips. Or bread..Chips if I’m at a Mexican restaurant, Bread and butter if I’m at an Italian Restaunt, lol..either way I don’t care XP

Great tempo! Doing them once a week will really pay off, I promise. I think they’re just as vital to any training plan as long runs. And bread > chips.

Well it all depends. If I’m going to a Mexican restaurant and I’m served bread I’d be a bit upset. It all about tortilla chips!

But like in an Italian restaurant I love the warm, crusty, ciabatta bread they will serve. Oh and cheesecake factory brown bread is delicious too!

So either way.. I will eat the chips or the bread. Whoever said to not eat those clearly doesn’t know what good carbs are! ;)

I feel the same way about speedwork. Have you tried adding some hill workouts? Although I may not run very fast uphill, they seem to have improved my overall pace.

Since I have to be gluten-free I can’t usually partake in either. (Why some Mexican restaurants have wheat in their corn chips, I’ll never know!)

I had no idea some places put wheat in their corn chips! Boo :(
      I think I would always make myself sick if I was Gluten free because I have no self control and would still eat them…

I am a total bread girl…unless of course I am at a Mexican rest..then please bring on the chips and salsa…I could bread nonstop..plain, w/ butter, dipped in oil w/ seasoning..you name it…yum!!