Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

I’ve been accused of being easy and I’ve been accused of being Mexican. Technically, both of those are true.

Proof: I’m representing my Hispanic heritage here…BARN FOLKLORICO thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

and here, I’m dressed like a little hussy. I can’t believe my mom let me go out of the house like that!TINY CHEERLEADER thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Anyways, I am all about easy, healthy recipes. If there’s a spice I don’t have in my pantry or if I have to chop 43 ingredients, I probably won’t even try it. IMG 7609 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Added bonus if I can create Mexican inspired meals as a little homage to my heritage. So today I have a super easy Tortilla Soup Recipe for ya.

IMG 7610 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

But before we put on our sombreros and make tortilla soup, let me mention lunch. I made an egg salad sandwich with a hard boiled egg and an extra white mixed with hummus and S&P. If you like this concept you can also try my Angel-ed Eggs.

IMG 7572 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

It wasn’t really opened faced – I ate the other piece of bread with a slice of cheddar because I was hungry.

IMG 7574 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

And of course dessert – calcium chews. Plural.

IMG 7576 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Tortilla Soup Time! IMG 7599 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

You only need 6 ingredients for this soup: broth, salsa, black beans, corn, can of chicken and tortilla chips or chip crumbs wlEmoticon smile51 Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

IMG 7584 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Drain the chicken and drain and rinse the black beans. Shred the chicken a bit if you’re using canned like I did. **You can make this recipe veg if you use veggie broth and double the beans.IMG 7588 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Then, pour everything except the chips into a pot and heat thoroughly. The roasted corn I use is frozen so I heat it for at least 20 minutes. I also add a few splashed of Cholula for spice.

IMG 7590 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Finally, pour a bunch of tortilla chips into your bowl…IMG 7619 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

IMG 7592 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Pour the soup over the chips and garnish with avocado.

IMG 7596 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Talk about easy! Here’s the $ shot…

IMG 7604 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

The TJ’s roasted corn really makes this soup! If you can, get that kind.

IMG 7614 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

All the ingredients are shelf stable too – so you can keep this stuff on hand when you need a quick dinner.  Tip:  Just try not to eat all the avocado and chips before it’s heated wlEmoticon smile51 Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup. That’s hard.

IMG 7616 thumb Easy Mexican. Tortilla Soup.

Enjoy!

Comments

looks great!I love tortilla soup! mostly because of the avocado and cheese :) thanks for the recipe!

Homeboy!!! Good of you to support the local community. :D

I only just told my friends today that I dislike MExican food. Slap myself!!! I totally forgot how much I love tortilla soup!

To be honest, I was not a fan of Mexican until recently. When I started doing Meatless Mexican and kind of doing my own thing I found stuff I liked, but before I would head to any other kind of restaurant first :)

3. Amy Ramos says

Holy crap! Did we get the same memo today? I had an egg salad sandwich today (using 1 tbsp of greek yogurt and sweet and sour mustard in the mix and spreading hummus on my bread!)

Right now, posole is in the crockpot and I plan making some homemade tortilla strips. Sadly, no avocados…can you ship some to me?? I live in Nor Cal or we can meet in San Luis Obispo…kidding…sort of!

This looks like something that my mom makes and that I used to love. I also love calcium chews- my grandmother used to tell us they were candy and set out the box, which would result in us eating 15 or 20… no joke. Is it possible to OD from calcium… because I probably did!

I don’t think you OD for real, but I have to warn you:
      For a while there were these sugar free chocolate bars at the 99 cent store. They were by some low carb company and had 50% of your daily calcium for the day. I used to eat them constantly. Then, I had to go to the doctor because I was getting dizzy…
      Turns out there were calcium deposits collecting on my inner ear – where balance comes from! No lie. Kinda gross too…

Yum!! That soup looks so good!! I was just trying to figure out what I can take to my crippled friend for easy lunches/dinners this week and this sounds perfect!

I love that you got the Homeboys tortilla chips! 8D
    I heard their salsas are good too, I ought to try them..
    I’m pretty sure I have all the ingredients to make tortilla soup in my house..except the corn, I’ll get some tomorrow when I go to the store ^_^”

That soup looks so good! I’ve never used canned chicken…I’ve always been sort of scared of it. Does it taste any different? I don’t really eat tuna or salmon either so I wouldn’t know if the can changes the flavor! Canned chicken just seems like a really easy ingredient to use for a lot of recipes.

Sorry, it doesn’t get better than the deep chocolate. Trust me, I’ve tried practically all of them. The pumpkin is just okay.

I think if you’ve been eating 100 cal packs then in comparison Vitatops are amazing. But it’s not a trip to the Cheesecake Factory.

I have to agree with this completely. For what they are vitatops are AMAZINGLY good. But if you’re trying to compare it to a real cake or brownie, it’s not going to hold up.

That looks so yummy!! I just started eating black beans and southwestern foods! I had a craving on Saturday and made a yummy spicy wrap! I think I will try this recipe! I cannot get roasted corn, but I might roast some before hand to make it zesty! I think I just found my dinner for tonight, THANKS!!!!!

I think you look so cute in that little cheerleading outfit!

And the soup sounds amazing. I could probably even try putting veggie chicken strips in their in place of the chicken. I’m in need of new soup recipes to mix things up a little bit! This is a must-try :)

This soup looks pretty bomb-ass good. The sad thing: I only have one of the ingredients on hand (canned beans). Sigh. My pantry is tiny.

11. Mare S. says

Did you use a full container of everything? (e.g. the whole can of salsa, box of broth, bag of corn and two cans of chicken) I have a TJ’s two blocks away so I think I might try this!

Wow – that soup does look good and EASY! I always bookmark recipes that look great & then ultimately never make them because it’s too much work…definitely won’t be the case with this soup! Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a very delicious recipe, though i wonder if i will be able to get all the ingredients. I will have to use a different brand of chips for sure as the one you mentioned is not available here, will try to manage the other things and give it a try.

also, i see that you have mentioned calcium chews, is it a calcium supplement?

The chips are just regular tortilla chips, you can use any kind. Same goes for the rest of the ingredients – I just use whatever I have on hand, not a particular brand :)

Yes, the calcium chews I have are calcium supplements.

14. Katie says

I just started reading healthy living blogs after the Marie Claire’s The Hunger Diaries article came out. It’s unfortunate that the article showcased your fellow bloggers in such a skewed manner, but I actually find healthy living blogs quite inspirational. Your blog is definetly one of my favorites. I had been looking forward to this soup all day at work on Monday. When you work 12 hour shifts you want a meal that is healthy, quick & delicious. This soup definetly fit the bill. Thank you for a wonderful meal.

PS The avocados were a nice touch plus I happened to have TJ”s roasted corn….which added more to the deliciousness.

I made this soup for dinner on Wednesday (for two friends as well). I added diced zucchini and yellow pepper to add in more vegetables. I also seasoned the salt with paprika and cumin. Everyone was full and happy! (I also garnished the soup with fat free greek yogurt instead as a healthy sub for sour cream).