Surf City Half Marathon Report

Today started out like any other race day, with PB&J and coffee. IMG 8033 thumb Surf City Half Marathon ReportI also had a dilemma… I was signed up for the Full Marathon, but decided to do the half when I realized I wasn’t ready and might risk injury and would have a very long recovery.

The decision was made, but I wasn’t sure if I should wear my timing chip. I didn’t want it to record the wrong time or to show that I missed the full marathon markers. So, I didn’t wear it.

That was actually a good thing because I had a bad race and am glad I didn’t have the added pressure of watching the clock. IMG 8038 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

Since I didn’t have the timing chip I don’t have an official time, but it’s okay with me. My stomach hurt, my hip felt tight and I just didn’t have it in me today. I’ll post more about it tomorrow.

IMG 8035 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

I was able to pay attention to the signs spectators were holding up. Some of them were great! My favorite race signs today:

“Don’t Stop!” That’s what she said.

“I am proud of you, complete stranger.”

“Suck it up buttercup”

“I have great stamina too! Call me.”

“I go nuts for tight butts”

There were a lot of clever spectators out today!

IMG 8036 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

This isn’t that bad of a time considering I was had rough race today.

IMG 8040 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

Here is the medal – it’s a Surf Board of course wlEmoticon smile9 Surf City Half Marathon Report I went through the Half Marathon chute, but they still insisted on giving me the full marathon medal. IMG 8048 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

This morning on the way to race I realized I have done a race every month since October. That’s 5 races in as many months. I am soooooo ready for a break now wlEmoticon smile9 Surf City Half Marathon Report

October – Long Beach Marathon

November – Malibu Half Marathon

December – Las Vegas Half Marathon

January – Arizona RnR Half Marathon

February – Surf City Half

Now I’m going to rest…next races are TBD wlEmoticon winkingsmile4 Surf City Half Marathon Report

Post race I had a Fig Newton that was in my goodie food bag…

IMG 8041 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

My stomach still hurts, but I am hungry. I just had a massive smoothie with sliced almonds.

IMG 8042 thumb Surf City Half Marathon Report

My belly better get it together soon I have big plans for Super Bowl snacks and pizza!

pin it button Surf City Half Marathon Report

Comments

Congratulations! A half marathon is still a huge accomplishment, and it’s better to be safe than sorry. I need to keep all that in mind as I’m still deciding whether to run the national half or full.

Congratulations, Monica! I’m sorry you had such a rough race. In my book, your time is excellent, but every runner is different.

I hope you belly starts feeling better soon. The Super Bowl isn’t any fun without pizza.

Congratulations on your race! I’m sorry it wasn’t your best, but it looks like you still rocked the time. I ran my second half today, but I didn’t see any awesome signs like that! There was a bacon and beer station at mile 11, though. I hope our bellies feel better–mine is queasy, too! Enjoy SB Sunday!

Sorry to hear you didn’t feel great during the race, but great job!! I think your time is great. I hope I can break the 2hr point for a half this year…

Next race – Black Cat 10 miler in Boston!! :D

Great job!! Thats a really good time especially since you weren’t feeling well. You still look really happy in your pics! What a cool medal too! Congrats!

I absolutely love your blog, it’s one of my favorites :)

hahahahahahah I loved those signs, those are the best!!!! I love the “Don’t stop, that’s what she said” bahahahah!!

I understand about not having a good race, I felt the same way at the Arizona half last month, I think my body is just exhausted from running and wants a break!

You’re doing amazing girl! Listen to your body :) Plus I think your body is asking for pizza and fro yo ;)
    xoxo

7. Susan says

Sorry you had a rough race, still looks like a pretty awesome time to me! Hope your tummy feels better soon & you can enjoy your superbowl nibbles.

Hey, you’re sub- 2:00 is still better than my time, which was an 8 minute PR for me (I won’t say what my finish time was, haha)! Loved those signs after that hilly neighborhood area too!

those are seriously funny signs. way to break the “tension” in the race, eh!
    congratulations on getting to the starting line, running, finishing. it’s too bad races don’t always go how we want…but that’s running, right?! i think you did great.
    enjoy the super bowl stuff!

10. Jennifer says

Congratulations on another finish!!! You should be proud that you listened to your body instead of pushing yourself to do the full :)
    I love those signs…I really did LOL at them…hehe.

Congratulations! This is a great time!

But you are right, there were so many great signs! My favorite one, was “chafe now, brag forever!” :-D

Wow…that’s quite a lot of racing. At least you listened to your body and recognized it wasn’t up for something like a full marathon. I bet it was actually kind of liberating racing without the timing chip too!

ah Mon! I’m glad you were able to finish with the hip and stomach issues, but you had a great finish time! it’s nothing to be disappointed about!

I hope you’re feeling better, and glad it’s gonna be a while before you run another race! Recovery time for you!

14. Amanda says

That time isn’t too shabby for having a rough day! Nice job! You deserve a break from races and some foam rollin’. Love the medal : )

I’m loving those signs, especially the first one!

Congrats on the half, looking forward to reading your recap. Even though it felt like a bad race you still got a good time, and I bet overall you are glad you still got out there and ran it :) Enjoy your racing break!

That is awesome that you did it even while feeling sick!! What an inspiration you are!! Even though you may not think it was that great, us newbies are totally impressed :) Hope you have a fun time at super bowl and get lots of yummy, well deserved, treats!!!

Congrats on running the half, even if you weren’t feeling awesome. I love that your not so awesome time would be an earth shattering PR for me. hahahah.