Born To Run – Video

Someone from my running group sent me this video a few days ago and I finally got around to watching it yesterday. It is Christopher McDougall, the author of Born To Run speaking.

For those that don’t know – Born To Run is a book by a runner (McDougall) written after he was searching for a cure for his injury prone running. He writes about the Tarahuamara Indians – a tribe of runners living in the canyons of Mexico.born to run book thumb Born To Run – Video

They are super athletes – running for upwards of 50 miles at a time, injury free well into their senior years.

The book tells the story of McDougall’s adventurous trip to Mexico to run with the tribe. It’s not a “How to run” book, but a story about runners.

I read Born to Run about a year ago and loved it! I started eating Chia seeds after reading it and mention that here

Speaking of Chia seeds…today is Waffle Wednesday and I threw some on my waffles! IMG 9883 thumb Born To Run – Video

Waffle Wednesday is my favorite especially when it’s paired with PB, sf syrup and eggs! IMG 9886 thumb Born To Run – Video

I woke up hungry and decided to eat before I ran. I really never do this, so I hope my run still goes well. My legs usually don’t cooperate with runs past 10am.

Question: Have you read Born To Run?

Any other running books you recommend?

Comments

I have also read Born to Run, great book. Mixed up the technical stuff with the story which was a great page turner.

I actually started my running in Vibram Five Fingers, before I found those shoes I was like those mentioned in the book running, even walking caused such back pain I couldn’t stand it anymore and gave up. But after at least 12 years of constant back pain as soon as I put those shoes on the pain was gone! I have since run two 5k’s and am about to run my first half marathon next week. A feat I never thought possible until a few months ago.

Born to Run completely changed the way I think about running. In fact, this quote below from the book compeltely changed the way I think about running:

“But yeah, Ann insisted, running was romantic, and no, of course her friends didn’t get it because they’d never broken through. For them, running was a miserable two miles motivated solely by size 6 jeans: get on the scale, get depressed, get your headphones on, and get it over with. But you can’t muscle through a five-hour run that way; you have to relax into it, like easing your body into a hot bath, until it no longer resists the shock and begins to enjoy it.”

After reading this book, I realized how often I used to run just to get in my workout for the day rather than for the sheer joy, thrill, and pleasure of running. Now, I pay attention to how my body feels and what it craves. I run when I feel the urge to run (which is almost every day), and I try to honor the distance and speed that my body wants to run. I deeply admire and appreciate the idea of running for the sole joy of running, and I strive for that. It’s not always easy, and I often find myself falling back into the pattern that Ann Tracen describes, but I try my best!

I have never read a running book, but that sounds interesting!

I always have to eat a full breakfast before I run. I’m never hungry after, so it’s a now or never situation. :)

I just ordered a copy of this book after so many people recommending it for some running inspiration. I’m excited to read it. Other recs were for Dean Karnazes books.

I loved Born to Run so much, I stretched it out so it’d take me longer to finish but I never had time to and had to return it to the library when I left LA. And now I can’t find it in any local libraries! But I will definitely buy it eventually because it’s so inspiring! To get myself excited about the LA Marathon coming up, I ordered 26.2 by Dean Karnazes; all of his books (like 50 in 50) are AMAZING! I can’t wait to read this one.

6. Danica Hedin says

I love that book, another good running book is The Long Run by Matt Long. Not only is it a good running book but very inspirational.

i’ve read two of dean karnazes’ books: ultramarathon man, and then the 50 states in 50 days one…sorry, i forget the name (and am on vacation, brain too lazy to google!!) – i think he’s got a new one out, too. his charismatic personality just shines thru in his writing, and they’re quick and interesting reads…and quite inspiring!

Love Born to Run!

I’ve also read The Long Run by Matt Long (a 9/11 firefighter), which is his story about how he came back from being hit by a bus while riding his bike to run the NYC Marathon. There is definitely a camp that dislikes him after a bit of a cockiness caught on tape after the run; I try not to judge because I don’t know him. Nonetheless, the book is interesting, raw, and inspiring.

Had a nice pile of Chia Seeds with my overnight: cinnamon, peanut butter, sf syrup oats this morning!!! I am going to try putting them into a tofu mousse this weekend!! I think I will go check that book out, sounds like an informative and inspiring read!!!