What Is Lent

I think most of you know what Lent is, but since I got some questions here is a Cliffsnotes version:

Lent is a (mostly Catholic) tradition of prayer, observance and fasting in the 40 days leading up to Easter. Today is Ash Wednesday, so Easter is 40 days from now. (Note: I just wrote “Eater” instead of “Easter” because I’m preoccupied with food.)

I was raised Catholic and have been giving something up for Lent since I remember. Even though I don’t attend a Catholic church now, I still observe Lent. ALTAR GIRLS thumb What Is Lent

(This pic is me and my bff in third grade. I am big boned or she is tiny boned, pretty sure it’s the former.)

For the next 40 days (and nights) I am giving up sweets and diet soda. To me sweets are cookies, cake, candy and ice cream.

I decided not to give up all sugar because that immediately seemed a little obsessive. Plus, people were all over me and really I am going to get all the judgment I need from Jesus.determine lent ecard someecards What Is Lent
So that’s that.

I ended up doing a slow 5 miler about 2 hours after breakfast. Yeah, my body prefers to run when it’s still asleep and it was rough.

Plus, waiting meant it was pretty warm and I was thirsty when I got back. I immediately chugged water and had an apple. Like my new water bottle? It’s massive. IMG 9895 thumb What Is Lent

Lunch was an egg salad sandwich.

IMG 9892 thumb What Is LentWith chips.

IMG 9890 thumb What Is Lent

Dessert was a finger of this new banana PB from the jar. It’s good.

pin it button What Is Lent

Comments

I did not grow up Catholic, but I went to church my whole life. We didn’t observe Lent, probably because, like I said, we’re not Catholic. Although people of all denomonations do the lent thing. I was talking with my 9 year old about Lent last night and about how we’re supposed to give up something we love, something that would be a true sacrifice, just like Jesus sacrificed for us on the cross.

She immediately said, ‘mom you should give up coffee’ to which I replied, ‘uh, we don’t do Lent, remember?’ ;)

I bet you’ll never want to go back to diet soda when lent is over. I gave it up about three years ago and never looked back. And now I can’t drink it even if I wanted to. Good lent choice. :)

That’s what I’m hoping! I know when I don’t drink it for a while and then try it again it’s super sweet and gross (I just always keep going back for more because I don’t take that much time off).

3. Maren says

I am Lutheran and I have been observing Lent since 8th grade when my confirmation teacher (our Pastor) told us he still thought it was important that we give something up. I am giving up added sugar..EEEEEK. I know that sugar is sugar, no matter in what form, but my problems are cookies, candy, brownies, chocolate, all that jazz, so It’s going to be a real challenge of my faith and I am excited to see what these 40 days have in store!! Good luck with yours, I am glad to know someone is with me on giving up sweets!

Great things to give up for lent. I’d never give up sweets – I’d miss them too much! Last year I gave up Nutella and the morning of Easter, right after church, I had a couple huge spoonfuls. Gotta love that stuff.

5. Allison says

I am a practicing Catholic and I have given up all diet soda. My husband gave up wine. God help our poor children, it is going to be a rough few weeks for all of us.

That said, I also stopped drinking all soda/anything with artificial sweetners when I was pregnant/nursing my kids….and as soon as it was done, I started drinking Diet Coke again. Each time, it was almost 2 years total. I wish it tasted gross to me, but it doesn’t. I LOVE it.

I gave up sugar as well and started to freak a bit when I saw that sugar is in our turkey bacon and deli meat from Trader Joe’s. I don’t eat the deli meat that often, but I eat turkey bacon once or twice a week. My husband snapped me back to reality and helped break down the nutrition facts to remind me that eating turkey bacon in moderation does not equal the sugar load of eating a chocolate chip muffin. ;) It helped to be reminded about the sugar work I am doing during lent and to not focus on the other little things.

I grew up in New Orleans which has a large Catholic population – as evidenced by the feast before the fast known as Mardi Gras. I remember in grade school all my friends worrying about what they’d choose to give up for Lent. As a Presbyterian that wasn’t an issue for me but I always wondered why we didn’t celebrate things the way the Catholics did. Catholicism was so interesting to me as a child and even now about some things.