Protein Mug Cake and Mini-Goal Monday

When I spotted the Mug Cake this weekend at the expo I was reminded of the blog phenomenon – Protein Cake in a Mug! This was all the rage a while back and I knew I had to make one asap!

IMG 0083 683x1024 thumb1 Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

I’ve seen a lot of different versions of the Protein Cake (or protein puff) recipe, this is mine. In a non-stick sprayed mug:

1 scoop protein powder

2 Tb. egg whites

2 Tb. pumpkin

packet of stevia, cinnamon

dash salt, baking soda and baking powder

almond milk to desired consistency

Microwaved until cooked wlEmoticon smile20 Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

I spread PB and apple butter on top. Great dessert!

IMG 0024 thumb Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

Run: I did 6 miles easy paced today. About a mile in a HUGE German Shepard came out of no where. It was barking and running straight for me. I screamed, “NO NO NO!” because I thought it was going to attack me. I think it spotted a squirrel in the bushes because it just paused and ran back to its owner (who was at least 80 yards away and I didn’t see at the time).

My heart was racing and I got very scared. I think it’s rude that the owner saw that I was scared and did nothing to stop the dog or apologize that I just sh!t myself. Thanks.

Breakfast: I busted out  my new Attune bowl for breakfast this morning. It is super cute and comes with a twist on lid.

IMG 0025 thumb1 Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

Attune had a table set up at the expo where you could fill up a bowl of cereal and granola and take it to-go. Genius right?! So many of the attendees are traveling and this allowed them to fill up a bowl for their hotel rooms. Then, all you need is to order a milk from a coffee shop at “Wa-La! Breakfast is served!!”IMG 0091 1024x683 thumb1 Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

I filled mine up with a mix of cereals and granolas, but ate all the big granola chunks last night wlEmoticon smile20 Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

IMG 0028 thumb Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

Today I added yogurt, pumpkin, banana, chia seeds and cashews. It was an AMAZING breakfast!!!

IMG 0030 thumb Protein Mug Cake and Mini Goal Monday

Monday Mini-Goals for this week:

1. Complete mid-week longer run and weekend long run. STRETCH after every run.

2. Close the kitchen and brush teeth at 8pm

3. Leave some food on my plate for my dead homies

Question: What is your big goal for the week?

Comments

I tried the protein cake for the first time this weekend with vanilla whey protein powder and pumpkin. It puffed up and looked like cake, but tasted awful – like a bland, chewy sponge. I had to toss it. :/ I’m wondering if I did something wrong? Do you have to add a ton of stevia to make it taste good? I only used 4 drops of liquid stevia.

PS- I’m so jealous you got to go to Expo West! I’m hoping I can go to Expo East this September!!

• Bonnie says

I did add a few chocolate chips on top (shame on me!) but it just went so well with pumpkin! Also, I added a dash of cinnamon. I nuked for 1:30, and my cake overflowed (b/c my tap of the box of baking powder was more than a dash. Oops!).
        I used 3/4 tsp Truvia (serving size) and it was fine, but the chocolate chips really made this worth it. I’m sure if I make some sort of PB2 “frosting” or other icing, that will help too, as runeatrepeat mentioned. The spongy texture is true to form for this mug cake.

I need to stretch more this week! I’m running LA Marathon on Sunday but have had tight quads for more than a week now. Also, I need to be on top of my sleep. Shouldn’t be a problem if I am taking 3 full rest days this week. ;)

3. Laura says

I had a similar dog incident last week! I was attacked by a Doberman when I was younger and I’m really uncomfortable around big, strange dogs. The owner of the unleashed dog didn’t understand why I was freaked out – he said, “he’s just being friendly!” which was probably true, but LEASH YOUR DOG, please!

Big dogs are super scary when you’re running and I’m not even typically scared of dogs. My husband kicked one once when we were running and the owner never said a thing. His dog was chasing us down the street!

My goal for this week is just to enjoy my after-work workouts. I just started a new job that is a ten minute walk away after commuting over an hour for the past year and 8 months. I’m so excited about my free evenings! :)

My goals is to make it through airport security without getting violated! and the more serious goal is finishing my first half marathon Sunday.

Also I am not a fan of dogs to begin with let alone on my runs, luckly they have all stayed in their yard but I have carried mace for that purpose. Dog owners can be so incrediably rude!

I am that person that lectures dog owners about stuff like that. I grew up with Dobermans, so I know people can be afraid of your (friendly) dog and you need to respect that. And CONTROL your dog at all times. Geez, I hate irresponsible owners so much.

The “Mug Cake” on the mug totally excited me too. I tried really hard to get the guy to give me a mug, nope. Then, I tried to offer to buy it, nope. I’m bummed and now gonna make my own!

my goal for the week is to get back on track by going to 2 yoga classes and buying my own mat for goodness sakes! I am living in New Zealand for 5 months, and its throwing off my routine, thats for sure!

I need to stop the late-night snacking too!

My main goal this week is to be ready for parent teacher conferences on Thursday (sigh) and a half marathon in the possible rain on Sunday.

Your breakfast beat the pants off my quick bowl of Kix (and ummm, a Snickerdoodle).

I really want to give that cake in mug a try. I saw the cake in a jar on OSG, and really want to try it out (I am guessing it the same thing). That bowl of yummy eats is looking mighty tasty! I had a parfait of overnght oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, banana, 1/4 homemade chocolate honey granola, 1 tsp natural PB…I love a million things all mixed into one delicious bowl of food!!! About to post my weekly goals in a few minutes…definitly to slow it down and try for more mileage, take 2 rest days, get a good routine for fueling my body before my 4:45am runs (ha ha, runs).

My weekly mini-goals: get up at 4am to workout every morning (ugh, I know) and do yoga/stretching every night (except Thursday because I’m out of town). And not eat my weight in chocolate.

Monica,
    Thanks for the reminder as I always forget about the protein mug cake, and it is such a quick and easy snack…and now I can’t wait to get back to home to my protein powder stash! :)

Uncle Sam’s makes a granola now? Hmm, will be on the lookout as I’ve always loved that brand of cereal…hello fiber!

I’ve tried to make things out of different protein powders, but they always come out tasting disgusting. I have no idea what it is. I certainly like my powders in smoothies!