Little Big Bread

This morning’s run require ear covering headband this morning. It was cold out! The weather report said it was 38 degrees! Crazy right?

When I went to turn on my Garmin it said Low Battery, so I decided to go without. I think I did about 5 miles. I’m bummed I didn’t have it because I felt speedy, but have no idea if I actually was.

IMG 0502 768x1024 thumb Little Big Bread

I got this new bread at Whole Foods yesterday – Little Big Bread. It’s a sprouted whole grain bread that’s lighter than  most!

IMG 0508 768x1024 thumb Little Big Bread

Breakfast was an open faced egg sandwich. I ended up adding PB&J to the right side and there is Laughing Cow on the egg side.

IMG 0512 1024x768 thumb Little Big Bread

Did you hear about the man who is now in the Guinness Book of World Records for Largest Marathon Finisher? He is pretty awesome. (source)largest marathoner thumb Little Big Bread

This article is about his LA Marathon from this weekend.

And this is backlash from meanies who discount his accomplishment.

What do you think? Does it matter how long it takes someone to finish a race?

I think a finisher is a finisher no matter how long it takes. Marathons in particular are about the distance more than the time. (I do think the course should still be open when the person finishes so it’s official, but that’s about picking the right race.)

Comments

The haters irritate me! what this guy did is an accomplishment, no matter how fast he did it. He has a lot of heart.

PS long time reader, first time commenter!

I think covering 26.2 miles is a huge deal- no matter if someone is walking, running, biking, somersaulting… I agree with someone in the article that said that he beat everyone that was standing on the sidelines :) Good for this guy!

I was out there in that race, so I know how miserable it was to finish with ANY time.

Elites (the former champ noted how glad he was that he survived that) and amateurs alike found it really hard that day, though I think marathons are hard any day.

I agree that it’s about finishing not about time. It’s not as if he went out there expecting to take 1st place. I think the backlash will dissuade people from getting up and getting active and that’s the last thing people should be doing. We should be encouraging each other to get out and try new things, and instead we belittle peoples major accomplishments. I think that man is an inspiration, and he should hold his head up high regardless of what others think.

What pissed me off most about the haters’ comments is the one who said something like, “How dare this guy say he ran a marathon?” Um, I don’t think he ever said that; he completed a marathon. Because, correct me if I’m wrong, a marathon is the distance, right? I don’t understand why they’d have to say things like that. His experience in no way diminishes theirs.

I think that he finished is the biggest thing here. Some of those people criticizing probably have never even considered entering a marathom themselves. No matter how long it took him to finish, he can say he did it. Can they?

NO!! It doesn’t matter how long it takes, as long as they finish. When I ran the Hood to Coast Relay last summer I wasn’t fast. I was averaging 9-11 minute miles. But I never walked! That’s all that matters.

26.2 miles is a LONG distance regardless of how long it takes. Many “smaller” people would not be able to go the full distance. I think it is great for anyone to set out with a goal and accomplish it.

9. Danielle C. says

My ONE thought that could fall into a hater category is that anyone going to run/walk a marathon REALLY needs to talk to their doctor before they begin a training plan. It is REALLY hard on your body (run or walk) and for someone that weighs 400lbs I can’t even imagine the stress on the body, I’m always scared for the people who get an idea from someone like this and don’t discuss their training plan with a doctor.

I have high blood pressure and was very, very concerned before I started training and my cardiologist and I worked out my plan before I started to train.

But it is all about finishing and being healthy.

10. Wendy says

He did it. I think it’s awesome for anyone to take on a marathon, no matter how fast or slow they are. I’m sure some would say I’m not really a runner (LA took me 5:30 this year) and there was lots of jogging, walking, and crying. But I did it and so did he!

It breaks my heart to see all of the negative comments about Kelly Gneiting. He finished 26.2 effing miles for goodness sake! Since when did the definition of “marathon” include a time limit? 26.2 miles = a marathon. PERIOD! (And if the event can’t support slower people, they put up a time limit. Makes sense right? That way people can enter a race they know they’ll be able to finish without being swept off of the course!)

I’ve completed one marathon so far – in 6.5 hours – and I’m almost ASHAMED to tell people that because of the negative connotations that sometimes come with slower times. It’s terribly frustrating to be so proud of accomplishing 26.2 and also be ashamed of it at the same time.

I think what matters is that people are out there getting the miles in. Whether fast or slow, people are still out there knocking off mile after mile. Why should it matter whether it’s fast or slow? Why do we need to be labeled? Who gives anyone else the right to judge whether or not our accomplishments are any better or worse than someone else’s?

Anyhow – major props to Mr. Gneiting. And shame on everyone that is criticizing him for doing something that 99% of the population will ever attempt!

(Whew – sorry for taking over your comments with such a long one!)

It definitely does not matter what your time is. If you persevere, you finish, and you put in the time with the training, I say. Good job and kudos to him for the perseverance. A marathon is a huge ordeal no matter how long it takes you.

I just wrote about him today on my blog. What a great accomplishment. This past Dec. I walked a half marathon and came in last and was dang proud of it. They did have a limit of like 9 hours to complete the entire race (took me 4 hrs 28 min.) so I think it’s perfectly fine to have a time limit. Obviously I would not have finished the full but that wasn’t the goal anyway.

14. Marcee .... IL says

Fantastic that this guy completed the journey he started. Wow. I could never. Brava #7831 … Udodit!!

Monica …. if you were hungry, then I suppose it could be “normal” to eat the entire can of salmon. 6 ounces? Usually we buy small & large cans. Not likely that you ate a large can of salmon. NO! (you’d definitely get sick.)

Can’t think of a funny signs. Although the “take a dump in your pants” is clever. If necessary …. lifesaving.

Keep us laughing! (you do that very well.)

When I saw Kelly Gneitings’ photos, I was surprised he actually weighed 400 lbs. It was funny, at the starting line he had an unofficial weigh-in. The announcer said he was at 399 and that Kelly was bummed because he wanted to be at 400. Nevertheless, he earned that record and deserves the bragging rights.

I think anyone who finished or even gave the LA Marathon an honest try (like ran or walked until they had hypothermia) deserves props. I was only out there for 4 and a half hours and it was rough. I can’t imagine being out there 5, 6 or even 9 hours. At about 4 points during the course, I said “wow!” at how hard the rain was coming down.

And actually, I think the people standing on the sidelines deserve props too. Spectators and volunteers helped!

16. Beki says

What an amazing guy! So inspiring, I think everyone could learn something from his determination and achievement, it is truely admirable.

I am definitely proud of what this guy accomplished! Marathons are not easy and it is very admirable that he was able to complete it. I’ll bet a lot of the commenters have never even ran a mile.

I think it’s great! i hate when marathons have a minimum pace requirement. it’s not very all-inclusive! however they want to get up and moving is a great idea, and completing a marathon, even if you walk, is one great feat!

I saw that article pop up on Huffington Post first, when the title was “Fattest Man…” I posted my not-so-nice thoughts on Facebook and Twitter, and within 5 minutes, the headline had been changed to “Heaviest Man…”

Interesting discussion there AND here.

20. Glenn Jones says

As someone who ran miles 17-21 during the worst of the storm last Sunday, anyone who finished is more than worthy in my book!