Friends First

I headed to Temecula for my friend Terence’s wedding today. It’s about 70 miles inland from where I live, so it made for a long windy drive! I had to go through some mountains and it took longer than I planned – luckily I left early.image thumb Friends First

But, the drive was totally worth it. The outdoor ceremony was beautiful and the weather was perfect!IMG 0156 800x600 thumb Friends First

The wedding was held at a winery overlooking the vineyards and had the mountains in the background.IMG 0158 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0161 800x600 thumb Friends First

Kyna was a beautiful bride wlEmoticon smile Friends FirstIMG 0164 600x800 thumb Friends First

IMG 0166 800x600 thumb Friends First

After the ceremony we enjoyed champagne outside.IMG 0172 800x600 thumb Friends First

This isn’t the best idea before a race, but I had to.IMG 0174 800x600 thumb Friends First

We went inside for appetizers IMG 0175 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0182 800x600 thumb Friends First

I had one more round of champagne with my food.IMG 0184 800x600 thumb Friends First

Since I got married and moved far away from my friends I NEVER see them wlEmoticon sadsmile Friends First I haven’t been the best friend lately and it was so so good to catch up with Lisa and my other peeps.IMG 0187 800x600 thumb Friends First

Then, it was time for the reception…IMG 0188 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0189 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0190 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0191 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0195 600x800 thumb Friends First

They labeled my name tag Mrs. Monica Essenburg, but that’s not my name! I didn’t change it when we got married. But, it does make me smile a bit wlEmoticon smile Friends FirstIMG 0197 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0198 800x600 thumb Friends First

IMG 0199 800x600 thumb Friends First

I grabbed a seeded roll with garlic butter to start.IMG 0204 800x600 thumb Friends First

SaladIMG 0207 800x600 thumb Friends First

Sorbet courseIMG 0213 800x600 thumb Friends First

I got the fish.IMG 0217 800x600 thumb Friends First

The happy couple <3IMG 0220 600x800 thumb Friends First

IMG 0223 600x800 thumb Friends First

You know how I run for the shirt? Well, I go to weddings for the cake! IMG 0227 600x800 thumb Friends First

I got a carrot cupcake and a mocha one. IMG 0229 800x600 thumb Friends First

I meant to get home early, but I hadn’t seen two of my favorite people in such a long time I couldn’t make myself leave. IMG 0226 800x600 thumb Friends FirstIt’s currently 12:52 am and I’m eating a chicken veggie burger and blogging. Since I would have to wake up at 3:30am to run the half mary tomorrow I’ve decided not to run the race. I feel dumb for backing out in front of all you guys, but I’m super exhausted (from waking up at 2am on Friday and 5:30am today). Plus, I wanted to do the race “for fun” and waking up in 2 hours does not sound fun to me right now. I shouldn’t feel like I have anything to prove to anyone, but this is still embarrassing. Well, I do feel like I have to prove to my friends – that I’m alive and miss them wlEmoticon smile Friends First

But, I will be doing 13.1 miles on my own when I wake up tomorrow! That’s a promise I’ll keep to myself and my blog friends!

Comments

I am proud of you for backing out of the race, but not backing out of running! You can just make it a virtual race and guess what, you’ll come in first place! Friends are certainly more important than anything. I used to think that I would never regret a workout, but I did regret workouts that I did instead of having coffee with a friend or something. It’s to keep your soul healthy!

Honestly, to me, important events with friends and family are a million times more important than any type of workout. Your friend’s wedding looks beautiful! Would you really have wanted to enjoy it any less? On top of it all, you’re still being a star and running on your own! That’s more than most people can say!

Don’t be embarrassed- it happens to everybody! At least you had a good reason (friends)! The same thing kinda happened to me once- I was supposed to do a race the day after prom, so I woke up after like 2 hours of sleep, spoke to my bff on the phone reassuring him I had dressed and was about to head out the door to meet him (I really was!) and I ended up falling asleep while tying my shoes sitting on my bed! Didn’t make the race lol…

Friends first is a good motto. Don’t feel bad for backing out of the race, sometimes other things are simply more important.

The wedding looked absolutely gorgeous. What a beautiful day to get married outside….and those cupcakes!? Yum.

I’m glad you had a good time catching up with your friends.

You have nothing to be embarrassed about! You chose to live your life, spend time with people you loved, and enjoy a beautiful celebration of love. Who cares if you’re backing out of a race because of it? You totally did the right thing!!!

I think it’s totally cool to decide friends come before the race. Don’t be embarrassed! It’s your life and you did the right thing for you.

I didn’t change my name when I got married either. It’s amazing how people always just assume that you did. The history of women changing their name to that of their husband just isn’t something we wanted to be a part of, although we are very dedicated to each other and more in love than ever (after 17+ years of marriage). Good for you for not changing your name!

Like you, I don’t mind when people call me “Mrs. Davis” even though that is not my name. I love my husband and don’t consider it an insult or anything, but I do think it is a sad commentary on society in general.

the fun and eeentxmcit that surrounded this very special day. To view the clip on their website, click here. This video is just a sneak peak so watch this space for

Yeah, Running a half marathon on less than 3 hours of sleep wouldn’t have been a good call, or fun at all. Good luck on your solo run! I know those can sometimes be harder than races.

Friends first is my motto! I think that’s definitely the best choice. On an unrelated note, I didn’t change my last name either and it often confused the heck out of people. It makes perfect sense to my husband and I, but sometimes other people just tilt their head with confused looks. lol

9. Ida says

I think you made the right choice- weddings happen once, races are every weekend. I’ve had cupcakes squared before- they are delicious!

10. Kim says

OMG!! those are the cupcakes I’m having at my wedding!! Cupcakes Squared is a few blocks from my house :)

11. Rika says

I’m a daily reader.. but I’ve never commented before! I just wanted to say: Life happens! You don’t need to feel guilty about your decisions! You did what you thought was best, and therefore it was right! Thanks for blogging, Monica. Your honesty and humor really pulls me into your blog! :D

Monica you rock whether you run an organized race or not! It’s so nice to see people being real and investing time and energy into the other people and the relationships in their lives…something our world needs more of :) PS you looked reallllly pretty at the wedding!!

You would have been so tired and it would not have been fun before, during, or after. It was a little warm towards the end and the water stations couldn’t keep up with demand (as in I actually had to stop and wait to get water a few times)- if that makes you feel any better about skipping!

14. Lindsay@Brownies For Brunch says

Cute dress alert! You looked amazing at the wedding. I’m glad you went and had fun. Keeping in touch with friends is never a bad thing!

15. Annemarie says

I read your blog all the time but have never commented on it yet. I live in Temecula and Wiens is a great winery! I moved here a little over a year ago because I met my boyfriend and I moved out here from NY. It’s hard to make good friends with similiar interests when you dont know anyone. Wish you lived closer!