5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

The universe is determined to deny me of sleep because my trip to the airport didn’t get me home until after 11pm. Then, I felt the need to blog. It was late.

This morning I woke up tired, but knew I had to get it together and start my day. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a piece of bread and slathered on some jam. As I was about to grab another I decided to just make breakfast and do my run later. Deal. IMG 0298 800x533 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

French toast with PB and sf syrup. The most decadent tasting breakfast under 400 calories. Love.IMG 0302 800x533 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

IMG 0306 533x800 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Ben is home. Hi Ben wlEmoticon smile4 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge IMG 0308 800x533 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Even though I didn’t end up running the OC Half Marathon, I am still going to sport my race shirt. Hey, I paid $70 for it! (My finger is covering up the dot of syrup I spilled on myself. Classy, I know.)IMG 0309 800x533 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

I love when races have sex specific tees. Thank you.IMG 0311 800x533 thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Amanda and I were talking yesterday about our upcoming Summer Plans. We both have big vacations coming up and want to announce our goals and plans to be held accountable. (Plus, I got a lot of questions about it yesterday when I said I wanted to lose 5 pounds this month.) beach scene in Florida thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Ben’s family has a time share in southern FL for the beginning of June. And every year I cling to my cover up like it is the only thing keeping me alive. ben and monica at marco thumb 5 Weeks Till Summer ChallengeWell, this year I want to feel better about myself and I’ve come up with a

Summer’s Coming Challenge!

5 Week Challenge – Today until June 8th

The Goals:

• Lose a few pounds
  • Get fitter and faster
  • End my worst habit:  Snacking and Night time eating

The Plan:

Food: Count Calories for the next 5 weeks (hopefully, I’ll have a good idea of what I eat after that and won’t need to do this any more). I am aiming for about 1800 a day. Stay away from the kitchen after dinner like it’s el diablo.

Exercise: 2 days of hard running, 2 days with group, 2 classes at gym or strength sessions each week.

I’ll keep my progress to the Weight Loss page so you don’t have to see it if it bothers you. And I promise I’ll update it once a week (I’ve been bad about this) until June 8th. *Yes, I realize this isn’t I.E. and I don’t really care. I’m doing my thing right now and I’m 100% at peace with it.

please join beach help seasonal ecard someecards 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Question: When was the last time you went to the beach?

I don’t count the times I go to run, so a real “beach day” was a long time ago wlEmoticon smile4 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

I am posting about my new job today – please leave any questions in the comments or email them.

pin it button 5 Weeks Till Summer Challenge

Comments

1. Catherine says

I was in south Florida a few weeks ago – it was gorgeous. I saw every body shape and size in a bikini (including my own). You just have to own it and be okay with it. I am a middle aged mom of two kids who runs a lot and generally eats healthy – I don’t have a perfect body and never will, but I love the beach, sand, and waves, so I have fun and don’t worry. Five pounds or not, have fun at the beach in June!

Thanks for being so honest and open about your challenge–I really appreciate reading about your experiences, and I wish you all the best this month! I was just on the beach in Hawaii a few weeks ago. At first, I was very self-conscious in my bathing suit, but then I realized that my insecurities about my body were preventing me from having a great time in the sun with my boyfriend. It is HARD to feel confident in a swim suit! Good luck to you with this challenge!

3. Emily says

Night snacking is my total downfall. I usually don’t eat enough during the day, then I lie awake in bed with a growling tummy and HAVE to eat something. I’m usually pretty good at eating something sensible and only until I’m satisfied, not stuffed, but it would be nice to fuel myself properly during the day so it doesn’t happen at all!

A question: when you say you’re aiming for 1,800 cal/day, does that mean your net calorie intake? Or overall, not factoring in calories burned through exercise?

Good luck with your challenge!

I am all about a summer shape up too :) However, last month I tried my own “bikini shape up” and ended up bingeing quite often!! So, I think mine will just consist of no snack machine snacks from the office and upping my strength training.

Excited to see your progress, but I have always thought you were gorgeous and admired your running ability!

Way to go, girl! The 2 days per week of strength training will be your biggest ally in looking good at the beach. You may not “lose” the same lbs since you are gaining muscle mass, but the awesome thing about muscle (besides looking toned and beautiful) is it burns more calories when you’re just sitting around.

Good luck!

Good luck meeting your goals – YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT!!! I am impressed by your honesty and willingness to hold yourself accountable. It’s inspiring! Think about how ‘worth it’ it will be when you’re feeling good with your toes in the sand ;)

I did the same thing yesterday! I really feel like we relate with munching at night after dinner, but you are so much better about admitting your problems on your blog than I am! So, starting yesterday, I gave up snacking for the month of May.

I really hope you are successful! Just remember, you aren’t alone!! I’m doing the same thing, except I’m getting ready for the lake, not the beach ;)

I haven’t been to the beach since my senior year of high school (2005) and that’s the only time I’ve ever been! Crazy!

a few question re your new job and ACE since hopefully Ill be taking my test here soon!

do you feel like ACE prepared you for what you are doing now?
    did the facility your at want/require more than the ACE cert?

thanks!

I’m glad Ben is home! I know you missed him.

You, Amanda and I all embarked on a really similar thing, without conferring, on the same day! It must have been in the air.

Ha this is so timely. So I’m getting married in 2 months and going on a beach honeymoon. And my weight loss efforts so far have NOT worked at all. I’ve been counting calories, eating lots of protein, weight training, everything, and no movement on the scale. I think the BFL “Free Day” was I’ve decided to just let my body do what it’s going to do and hopefully by obsessing less I’ll end up eating less and I’ll lose some weight, but if I don’t, I don’t and I’m determined to have a great time no matter how I feel about my stomach or arms. I feel like I should have the opposite attitude sometimes, like I should really buckle down and “try harder” because you only get married and have a honeymoon once (we hope!) and I don’t want to hate all the pictures, but I just don’t think I have that fight in me after all these years. Again, can’t tell if that’s a good thing or not…so I really hope this is successful for you!

i love your new goals-im trying to be faster too, now if i can just find the time to do speed work… ive been sleeping in way to much lately!! also 5 pounds is a great goal-very attainable- get it girl!!!

You can totally do it! I appreciate your honesty.
    I’m a late night snacker too. Most of it comes from not having a schedule or huge amounts of stress. But I need to work on losing some of these Italy lbs!
    Trying but so hard!

I definitely want to do something like this! I’ve been trying to count calories again, but since I have a really all-or-nothing mindset, I feel really guilty when I eat something that I don’t know the calorie information of. Like today- I went out for lunch and there’s no nutrition info, so now I kind of feel like my whole day is shot to hell, you know? How do you factor in eating out when you’re counting calories? I would love to know how other people handle this :)

Don’t let anyone knock you because you want to drop a few pounds, as long as it’s not obsessive. I think if you can easily spot something (like late-night eating) that is adjustable and not really a healthy habit, then by all means, I’d support that!

I weigh myself once a week and try to keep around a certain weight. While I know that isn’t everything, I check it against my general feeling and fit of clothing. =)

15. Amanda says

I think its a great idea because you know what your weak points are. I’m trying to lose a few pounds as well….. it’s really hard! I just wish my jeans would fit better…. like they used to before I graduated college : D

We’ll do awesome! Is it bad that I am dying to down diet coke? I probably shouldn’t since it makes me CRAVE sugar like nobody’s business….

A clear plan is such a great way to make goals come to life! Setting up the specifics of not just a goal, but determining how I was going to achieve it is what helped me lose my weight and keep it off! Way to go girl!