8 Mile Run and Eating Eggs

This post is sponsored by Eggland’s Best.

Hello! Ben and I made a detour to Taco Bell last night on the way home from the airport. I really should have abstained but my willpower was already asleep (like the rest of me should have been)!

But, Taco Bell apparently makes for great fuel because I felt really great on my run today! I ran 8 miles in 1:10:28 with music and a smile wlEmoticon smile39 8 Mile Run and Eating EggsIMG 4128 800x533 thumb 8 Mile Run and Eating Eggs

Part of my Fitbloggin swag was this pair of New Balance capris – love them! See Vegas in the background? wlEmoticon smile39 8 Mile Run and Eating EggsIMG 4132 800x533 thumb 8 Mile Run and Eating Eggs

After my run I made an open faced egg sandwich and used the other side of the bread for sunflower butter and jam.IMG 4134 800x533 thumb 8 Mile Run and Eating Eggs

Since January I have been trying to eat more protein and my #1 pick is eggs. I realize eggs have more to offer than just protein, so I thought I could share the benefits of Eggland’s Omega-3 packed eggs.

A few Omega 3 facts (according to the American Heart Association and EB):

• Reduces inflammation
  • Helps support healthy blood pressure
  • decrease risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats)
  • maintains the fluidity of cell membranes

As a runner, the most relevant benefit for me is that Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation. I’ll take eating eggs over taking an inflammatory pain pill any day! Plus this Runner’s World article says Omega-3 might reduce exercise induced asthma. IMG 4137 800x533 thumb 8 Mile Run and Eating Eggs

Right now I take a multivitamin when I remember, but am not a big fan of supplements (and hate the burpy aftermath of certain pills too) so getting extra health benefits through fortified foods seems like a good deal to me.

Question: If you have to choose between ketchup OR hot sauce for the rest of your life which would you go with?

I use both on my eggs every time I eat them. This would be tragic, but I might pick hot sauce if I got to use multiple kinds.

Comments

salsa! I was brainwashed due to living in Texas & Mexico – I truly believe salsa is its own food group!
    I keep trying to make myself eat eggs, but I still hate them so much.
    Great time/run!

Hot sauce, hands down! True story: I went through the majority of my life with an intense hatred/fear of ketchup. I couldn’t look at it or smell it without wanting to vomit. I’ve since recovered, but old me would not be able to read your blog without retching.

Ohhh… that’s a tough question, I love them both! If I had to pick one though I would have to say ketchup. I use it on a few more things than I do hot sauce.

I LOVE eggs, too! I have them for breakfast and lunch almost everyday! Eggland’s best is a great brand, but they are sure spendy! Ahh I haven’t had Taco Bell in sooo long! So bad for you, but soooo worth it. Oh and I could live without either!! haha I don’t use either for anything! :)

5. Vanessa says

Seems like my answer is in the minority, but I have to say ketchup! I am a wimp and hot sause is too hot for me. :) I LOVE ketchup.

I’d choose ketchup :)
    I find I crave eggs when I’m not getting enough protein. Omega 3 is why I’m trying to eat salmon more as I usually don’t.

That’s it, I’m going to have to shove mustard in my pants and steal my way into the competition. Because ketchup or hot sauce? Blech. Just can’t be done. The closest I’ll dare to get is salsa.

8. Josh says

Hey Monica!

First, my wife and I love your blog, and are using it as inspiration to get ready for our own half marathon! with regards to eating, we stumbled upon a product called “Proglyta”, and we are really happy with the results! We noticed that we were getting really sore in our joints, and we were really looking hard for some foods that would help. We tried all kinds of supplements, and nothing seemed to stop the soreness the day after a long run. We considered hanging up the shoes…

But then a friend told us about Proglyta. We began drinking it, and there was a huge difference almost immediately. We were no longer sore after a long run, and our knees felt a ton better! We gave some to her mother (who has RA), and she began moving around much better than before. For runners who struggle with inflammation and soreness, I highly recommend! Thanks for all you have done for us!