An Exercise in Cleaning

Ben and I both messed with camera #2 to try and figure out the perfect settings and touch screen we decided to just return it and go back to my old camera (but a new one). This one will stick because I already “know” it. Plus it was cheaper, so there’s that wlEmoticon smile41 An Exercise in Cleaning IMG 0017 600x800 thumb An Exercise in Cleaning

This morning I woke up to a very messy house. I am totally a morning exerciser so it’s normal for me to ignore all this mess, strap on my shoes and go for a run. While that’s healthy for my body, it’s not healthy for my life. IMG 0003 600x800 thumb An Exercise in Cleaning

I’ve had this pile of papers overflowing for weeks now and really need to organize them. Apparently hiding them behind a watermelon and case of beans doesn’t make it go away. This pile has been bugging me and it’s giving me anxiety.IMG 0004 800x6001 400x300 An Exercise in Cleaning

I’d like to think that my eating is an 80/20 balance with 80% ice cream healthy food and 20% treats. I also want to make other aspects of my life 80/20 –

• work/play
  • clean/messy
  • intelligent conversation/saying the c word
  • organized/chaos

Well, instead of exercising first thing this morning I cleaned the kitchen. It definitely helped me feel a little more organized and in control of things. I am super busy (with a bunch of good things!) and really need to get it together!

This is definitely NOT me, but I almost wish it was?excessive housework An Exercise in Cleaning
www.nataliedee.com

I’m a sucker for anything “limited time” or seasonal, so when I saw this Strawberry Shortcake Dunkin Donuts I snapped it up!IMG 0006 600x800 thumb An Exercise in Cleaning

Unfortunately, it tastes better hot than cold (I had it iced yesterday and wasn’t a fan). IMG 0010 800x600 thumb An Exercise in Cleaning

Waffles were one of my impulse purchases from last night. I’m totally glad I got them! Topped with Sunflower Butter on each and then syrup and jelly.IMG 0007 800x600 thumb An Exercise in Cleaning

Question: Do you have a certain day of the week that you clean?

Growing up my mom would have us do all our chores on Saturday morning. But, now I run on Saturday mornings and so I don’t have an automatic cleaning day/time. So, the house gets tragic and I go for a run…

Comments

I always clean on Friday nights or Saturday mornings. I never feel like I can fully relax and enjoy the weekend until the house is clean. I’m a bit like Monica from Friends. Total clean-freak!

My fiance and I usually do a big Sunday cleaning (“big” is a bit of an overstatement, as our apartment is absolutely teeny tiny). We are usually pretty clean during the week–we wash our dishes nightly, we put away our clothes, we clean up the kitchen table–but sometimes things fall by the wayside. I love the feeling of a clean apartment on Sunday evenings…it just starts the week off right!

I love the Kashi brand – the calorie count is similar, but they use better ingredients. I know Fiber One has teamed up with Kellog’s for a new version too – but haven’t seen that out in stores yet. I’ll try it as soon as I see tem :)

3. Jamie says

I work full time, and have a messy four year old. I felt weird doing it at first, but I decided to hire someone to deep clean the house every other week. It is so nice and then I have the whole weekend to myself. On the weeks that she doesn’t come, I clean on Sunday.

My husband will ONLY clean on Sunday. Oh, and he will ONLY do the dishes on Friday or Saturday morning when he wakes up. WTF?

I clean ALL the time. I get so stressed when things are messy, so it’s hard to deal with when the man I live with loves to play Street Fighter all day.

Although, he did clean the entire house while I was out of town the other weekend, so I’m still kinda loving him for that. :-)

I don’t have a particular cleaning day. I just do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. :) I’m a bit of a neat freak, so I never go to bed with the living room a mess or with dishes in the sink. If I wake up to, or come home to a mess, it totally stresses me out.

Sundays! My roommates used to call it ‘Mexican Cleaning Day’ because I would kick them all out of the house, blast the Vicente Fernandez on Pandora, and go on a cleaning frenzy… complete with Pine-sol and everything.

Cleaning day? The day before someone comes over or the day before a bill is due and I can’t find it. Seriously, for 2 people (Husband and Me) our house is always so messy. It drives me nuts but I get overwhelmed and can’t figure out where to start, so I don’t. Really trying to change that…

I’m a total “seasonal” fanatic too! There is a discount grocery store near me that carries out of season (sometimes out of date!) and extras. Last week I bought boxes of Egg’noggin and Gingerbread Bigelow tea there – Hell ya!

8. Jill says

Saturday is my cleaning day. Get up early to eat breakfast then enjoy some quiet time on the computer. Run with my group at 7am then grocery shopping on the way home. Laundry. Clean as much as I can. Take the dogs for a walk.

I used to clean on the weekends. Now I have kids and it’s ridiculously hard. I have no idea what it is about them, but things don’t stay clean. My hubby has Wednesdays off and he DOES clean, but it’s not the same. I’m contemplating a maid service because it I just cannot handle the disorganization/grossness of my house any longer!! I feel slightly guilty about that though – not sure why.

I LO-HUV that coffee (I don’t know if that spelling makes sense, but it does to me). Agreed it’s better hot though. I stocked up on 2 last time I was at Target, but think I need to make a roadtrip to get more. I tend to clean on weekend mornings. The week gets so busy I throw everything on the floor.

Ah cute header! When did that go up? I love it! Serves me right for reading in reader. We usually clean on Sunday, but sometimes don’t clean for over a week and things get crazy and I have an anxiety attack because it’s so messy and then I have a huge cleaning binge. That happened Sunday. My house is now spotless!

12. Erica H. says

“intelligent conversation/saying the c word” — hilarious.

I’m awful at cleaning too (it’s not that things are dirty, but I have papers everywhere … and the clothes … oy). But I get really mad at myself/anxious when things are messy. It makes no sense. I get bad at my bad habit but can’t seem to kick it.

You made a good point though … I make time to run and cook good food, so I should be able to find some time to clean and ultimately make myself less stressed out. Noted!

13. Katheryn says

I hate a messy and/or cluttered house, and with two kids, I feel like I have to stay on it, but I don’t have lots of time to clean. I take care of it by assigning something to clean every day. You know; bathrooms one day, vacuuming one day, kitchen one day. Dishes, laundry, and beds get done every day and then on Saturday’s we all have chores, but it only takes an hour of our Saturday. Works for us!

Wait, I’m supposed to clean? C’mon, I run the washer when it gets full, I run the dishwasher when it’s full. That’s not enough??

When I was living at home with my husband, usually the cleaning mood struck me on random days and times and then I would just clean. Now, that I’m with my sister in law, I’m usually cleaning on Sunday when I have a day off. :-)

I used to be such a morning exerciser… now I SEARCH for things to do around my apt before I head out. It makes my run less stressful knowing that I come home to a made bed, empty sink, organized table… plus I get to digest my necessary coffee. All parties win.