Race Day Requirements

My race day requirements include…IMG 4304 600x800 thumb Race Day Requirements

Pre-run fuel. IMG 4290 800x600 thumb Race Day Requirements

A positive attitude (no matter what happened the night before).IMG 4299 600x800 thumb1 Race Day Requirements

Iced coffee or a nap. Sometimes both wlEmoticon winkingsmile1 Race Day RequirementsIMG 4334 600x800 thumb Race Day Requirements

And Ice Cream. IMG 4512 800x600 thumb Race Day Requirements

Not necessarily in that order, but ALWAYS ice cream.IMG 4513 800x600 thumb Race Day Requirements

get walkin yall Race Day Requirements
www.nataliedee.com

I only get 13.1 miles per gallon of ice cream. Well, actually this week I got 26.2 miles per gallon!

Comments

Hey- I finished my first marathon 4 weeks ago. I’m healing from a stress fracture (which I actually did on one of my training runs) but what I remmeber most about the run was feeling sick to my stomach. I had always dreamed about scarfing food down after a marathon (it’s why I run …) but I was too sick to eat for a few hours. I ate the same GU I trained with, and I carried Gatoraide and took water at stations- do you have any tips to avoid this? I can’t figure out what I did wrong. THANKS

• Jill says

I don’t think you did anything wrong at all. The body sends the blood supply to where it’s needed the most. When you run, you’re in fight-or-flight mode, when the sympathetic nervous system is in charge. Blood is sent to the parts of the body that help you fight, or flee from the attacker.
      Later, when the ‘threat’ has receded the parasympathetic nervous system takes over and allows you to rest-and-digest. The blood now favors the gut and lets you eat.
      Does that make sense?

• Rebecca says

In a very technical way.

I hope my SNS doens’t kick in next time so I can enjoy the expeirence a little more!

If you ate the same Gu / Gatorade that you trained with (and didn’t have this issue while training) I would say part of it was also nerves. Sometimes this happens to me even when I don’t change anything on race day, but when I’m more “chill” at a race it isn’t an issue.

Best race requirements ever! coffee, pb and ice cream are my physical activity staples. yummm. The fact that Yogurtland has iced animal cookies as an option makes me SO jealous!

Congrats on yesterday’s PR! My race day must include a bagel with cream cheese post race!

When I ran my first half in March I tried to convince my roommate to meet me at the finish line with pinkberry and she refused! She said she didn’t want me puking on her. :)

Congrats! And two half marathons in a week, that’s insane and pretty inspiring. I guess I can’t complain about my little couch to 5k workout :)

Ok, I have been following you for awhile now and I just have to say that I think you are the funniest and most inspirational blogger I read. Really! I keep meaning to comment and tell you how much I love you but it always comes out creepy. Now I guess the secret is out and I realize I still sound creepy, haha!
    Oh, and of course I love running but was too heavy for a long time to even consider it. Now that I have dropped weight through exercise I want to start training for the Rock n Roll Las Vegas but am really overwhelmed by the training schedules out there. I guess I need to start getting serious and running more than 3 miles at a time. Intuitive eating would help as well.
    Sorry for the long comment! I just wanted to say you rock and inspire me in your eating and exercise habits.

Jaren,
      Thank you so much for this comment. It made me smile :)

You can do it – I’ll see you at RnR Las Vegas! Let me know if you have any questions on a training program.