Stevia Sweetened Almond Cupcakes

IMG_5071 (800x533)

Recently NuNaturals contacted me to try their line of Stevia products. I jumped at the chance because I have been in love with Stevia for over a year now, but haven’t baked with it yet.IMG_0167 (600x800)

Inspired by Ben’s almond cupcake from this weekend I wanted to make almond cupcakes topped with frosting and coconut. I used this recipe from the Pastry Affair as a starting point and tweaked it some.IMG_5034 (800x533)

Almond Cupcake Recipe – no sugar

• 1/2 cup stevia
  • 3/4 stick butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 almond milk, add more as needed when you combine to achieve batter consistency

Directions: Mix dry ingredients. Separately, mix wet. Combine slowly. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until done.

My #1 baking tip is to make sure and bake an extra one for yourself. You have to taste your work!IMG_5037 (800x533)

Try your cupcake when it’s still warm.IMG_5038 (800x533)

But, make sure to frost it first!IMG_5041 (800x533)

Baking Tip #2: Try not to make inappropriate noises while consuming as your neighbors already judge you for so many other reasons…IMG_5042 (800x533)

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. There are only 9 on this plate. Do with that what you will Winking smileIMG_5051 (800x533)

I love cooking and baking, but have tons of baking failures. I finally realized that BUTTER is the key to good baked goods. In the past I’ve always tried to make things healthier with apple sauce or pumpkin – but they never go over well Sad smileIMG_5055 (800x533)

This time everyone loved them! Ben and my brother Michael are often my harshest critics and they gobbled them up.IMG_0150 (800x600)

Use.Real.Butter.IMG_5057 (800x533)

It doesn’t have to be 3 sticks per recipe, but use it.IMG_5065 (800x533)

Yes, Paula – I’m finally a believer Smilepaula deen(source)

Finally, Frost to your liking and dip into shredded coconut. I uses store bought stuff because I didn’t have a lot of time. It works.IMG_5073 (800x533)

Enjoy!IMG_5074 (800x533)

True…IMG_0216 (800x600)

No time for makeup today! This actually happens daily often, but I don’t talk about it. It makes me happy to not wear makeup – especially at the end of the night when I don’t have to take it off!IMG_0217 (600x800)

Question: Are you afraid of any ingredients?

I used to shy away from butter, but now I’m a “Butter Believer”!

These cupcakes look AWESOME!! I agree, baking with butter is definitely the way to go. There’s no good substitute for it.

I also agree with you on the no makeup thing…there’s nothing better than not having to worry about taking it off at night. Love that! :)

My makeup bag has been in my husband’s car since Saturday afternoon. That should explain my feelings towards makeup right now.

I’m totally making that recipe gluten free. I love me some coconut covered cupcakes.

I’m someone who doesn’t wear makeup every day but when I do wear it, I forget and I ALWAYS rub my eyes! That’s why I cannot wear it daily.

I haven’t had butter in a loonng time…or baked.:(

4. Ella says

I hate fake butters and the 0 cal butter spray, nothing tastes as good as a little bit of the real thing! I use real stuff when I bake, I used to shy away from real sugar until I had a nutrition teacher tell me stevia is just as processed as splenda so now I use regular old sugar in my baked goods. Can’t beat the tried and true!

I lurve coconut! I think its weird when people don’t like it. There are pretty much no ingredients I shy away from, but I do usually cut the sugar by at least a third when baking… sometimes.
    I just wanted to let you know, I have been a long time lurker, but I have started my own blog partially inspired by you :) I have finally decided to take loosing weight seriously and really it’s because I read your adventures every day. Thanks so much for putting yourself out there everyday!

True story: I was cooking on the Rachel Ray Show in November (my sorority was asked to go). We started sauteing vegetables. My mouth began watering and I asked “What is that SMELL!!!” My sorority sister (also a healthy eater) turned to me, smiled, and said “Butter, Sarah. Butter.” From that day on… I knew there was no such thing as a substitute.

If I am making cupcakes, I go all the way. Creamery butter, superfine sugar, madagascar bourbon vanilla; life is too short to not eat the best cupcake possible. Then I’ll go run a few miles. It’s all about balance, padawan. 😉

I still can’t seem to grasp the whole baking with cold butter thing. My recipes never seem to work when it includes that.

These cupcakes look delectable! I love coconut!

9. Lorin says

I find that the things I bake without butter actually turn out pretty well, so I sometimes bake with butter, sometimes I don’t. Like today, I baked some scones with part yogurt and part butter and it was still delicious!

These look so great! I want one! :) I’ve been dying to try stevia but haven’t bit the bullet yet. (It’s kinda pricey).

I’m not afraid of any ingredients as far as baking is concerned. I LOVE to bake. But I do fear tempah. I’ve brought 3-4 packages in an attempt to force myself to try it but then I never use it!

It’s funny, I’m not afraid of butter, but I very much like the texture better when I use applesauce. I used it once to save calories and I’m never going back. It makes baked goods sooo much more moist!! I’m just not a butter believer 😉

lol, I wish! Actually, no that’d be pretty scary. I’m meeeeeelting 😉

Don’t worry while Ben & Jerry’s won’t be sponsering me anytime soon (though they should), my internal love of nut butters and avocados keep me sane.