Two Weddings and A Funeral

IMG_5341 (800x533)

Yesterday we went to the wedding for Ben’s friends – Dan and Jen. It was held at the Segerstrom Concert Hall in Costa Mesa.IMG_5365 (800x533)

One of the groomsman caught my eye. He’s a cute one!IMG_5347 (533x800)

Oh, it’s Ben. He shines up like a new penny Winking smile

IMG_5353 (533x800)

He’s also available for funerals, bar mitzvahs and engineering parties. IMG_5355 (800x533)

I hit on him and ended up taking him home Winking smile Scandal.IMG_5358 (800x533)

Put your guy in a suit and he’s like a whole new man Winking smileIMG_5363 (800x533)

Cocktail hour involved avocado and crab, grilled cheese and wine. Loved it.IMG_5359 (800x533)

IMG_5360 (800x533)

The tables were labeled as places. We were at the Princeton table.IMG_5374 (800x533)

The happy couple <3IMG_5400 (532x800)

Another, less important, yet also happy couple…IMG_5410 (800x533)

I devoured that bread with butter and then mixed greens with apples, cheese and dates arrived.IMG_5408 (800x533)

I chose the salmon and it came with a fried polenta cake. IMG_5420 (800x533)Life changing. Seriously, so good.IMG_5422 (800x533)

Ben chose beef with mashed potatoes. Also amazing.IMG_5418 (800x533)

Then, there was a wardrobe change (by the bride) and dancing.

IMG_5438 (533x800)IMG_5440

IMG_5437 (800x533)Time for cake!IMG_5446 (475x800)

I had 3 pieces because the waitress spotted the cake lover inside me and Erin. She brought us chocolate and another piece of white cake!

IMG_5447

They had a photobooth with fun dress up props too!IMG_5459 (529x800)

We were the only locals at our table (all Ben’s friends live in New York or Boston!) so Rob gave me the center piece even though he won it fair and square!

IMG_5461

*I wrote all the above Saturday night, but had to rush to brunch Sunday morning and didn’t get to publish. I’ll just continue for a monster post…

IMG_5464 (800x533)

After brunch we headed to Newport Beach to get a few minutes outside.IMG_5466 (800x533)IMG_5473 (800x533)IMG_5477 (800x533)IMG_5482 (800x533)

But, Ben and I had to part with his friends so we could attend our second wedding of the weekend…IMG_5538 (800x532)

I didn’t mention it because I didn’t really know how to explain it, but the second wedding we went to was my mom and dad’s wedding. It’s a complicated situation, but my real mom and dad (not step parents or anything like that) got married today.IMG_5530 (800x533)

Me and my little brother, Matt

IMG_5489 (800x533)

Because it’s not a Mexican party without Mariachis…IMG_5492

O for Olivas IMG_5499 (533x800)

and my mom and Grams….IMG_5509 (533x800)

Long story short, I ate way too much this weekend. A lot of it was tired and emotional eating. I don’t want to talk about it with you at least.IMG_5534 (800x533)

Let’s talk about other things, like how I need to cut my bangs…IMG_5537 (800x532)

My brother Michael, my mom and me. When people find out I’m Mexican, they always ask if anyone else in my family is redheaded Yep, my brother Mike SmileIMG_5543 (800x533)

The whole fam,

IMG_5563 (800x533)

This picture represents the 5th (NOT an exaggeration) piece of cake I’ve had in the last 24 hours. IMG_5568 (800x532)

So, that’s 2 weddings – but what about the funeral? The funeral is for me – because I’m digging myself an early grave with all this food and stress. I’ll see you in Heaven…

Comments

First off. I think those 5 pieces equaled like maybe 2 real pieces. Why do they give you such tiny pieces at weddings? At least at mine (er…next weekend!) I’ll have mini cupcakes in lieu of cake so people can take 5 and not feel guilty…and by “people” I mean the bride!

My cousin is a red-headed Mexican. Bright bright red. But to be fair, he got the hair color from my uncle, not his mom, and we’re not Mexican (but, we are Jewish and you don’t see too many red-headed Jews out there either)

2. elle says

Hi!!

Been reading your blog for a bit and just wanted to say I loved the 2 dresses you had on for both weddings..super cute! Where are they from?

No worries about the extra cake!! Cake makes everything better!

3. Kat says

As much as I’d love to hear the story behind the second wedding, I’m totally cool with you not wanting to share. But congrats to both happy couples! The looks on their faces say it all :D

And the cake…it’s at a wedding. It totally doesn’t count. And it looks delicious!

4. Ida says

what a crazy and special weekend! All of the food looks amazing, but I am jealous of that salmon. You look great in all the photos- love both dresses.

I’m pretty sure celebration cake spares you from an early grave! There’s a rule. Look it up. :P

Seriously though, it looks like you had a wonderful weekend! And I understand if you don’t want to talk about your parents wedding but it did look like a very happy event! Plus your whole fam is just so cute!!

Dude, you don’t have to explain all your cake eating. You were at multiple events, which means you can eat multiple desserts, but they only count as one. Because you were celebrating, of course! Anyway, you look great in the photos! And you don’t have to explain anything about your parents’ wedding, even though I’m super nosey and would love to know. ;)

Wedding cake doesn’t count because 1) it’s mandatory and 2) those slices are always way too small. If I ever had a real wedding (as opposed to getting married in my mother in laws living room with only 7 guests…er family members…in attendance, I would get a huge cake so that everyone could have big slices.

Congrats to all the happy couples!

8. Kelly Anne says

That pink dress is from Forever 21!?!? What a find! I would have guessed that was BCBG or something. Good score, girl. You look great!

9. Hannah says

That’s kind of cool that your parents got married… or maybe it’s not? Haha I don’t know. Are they getting re-married or were they never married before? Either way, cool! Congrats to your family!

10. Katie P says

Those aren’t pieces of cake, those are slivers! No wonder you had multiple pieces, giving a person a sliver of cake it such a tease!
    You may be stressed but you looked stunning all weekend!

Congrats to your parents :)

You look beautiful in both of those dresses. Don’t worry about the cake. they were less than slivers, your running and working out will negate all of that sugar.

Cake heaven!!! Looks like it was fun and today is a new day! Time to start fresh on the healthiness! And I love wearing pink so glad another redhead does as well! What is up with those people who want to confine us to neutral colors????

I went to a wedding last weekend with my boyfriend. Before they brought out the cake, I took a minute to tell him that if I ate more than a bite of each type of cake (cheesecake and carrot), that I would be complaining about “how much I ate all night.” I then told him that if he didn’t want to hear my bitching, he would keep my cake consumption at bay. He must have slapped my hand away from the cake about 18 times, but I cake out feelin’ great! Sometimes you just need someone to hold you accountable.. I know I do.

Wedding cake is THE best. I’m going to one in September and am so sad that I won’t be able to partake. But weddings are fun in general. Party on!

15. Nicole says

*Great* dresses – and such great pictures from both events!

Thanks for sharing SO MUCH of your life with us (hey, we’re not sharing everything with you – there’s no reason why you should feel obligated to share everything with US, right?? :) ).

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll have no problem running off the cake…. I had a personal trainer who told me his routine for staying healthy: Eat, Sleep, Workout, Repeat. You’re living a healthy life!!

Cheers to a great week Monica!

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great, let alone the content!. Thanks For Your article about Two Weddings and A Funeral | Run Eat Repeat .