Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

When I checked my Marathon Training Plan this morning and saw “8 Miles” I was not excited. Just didn’t have the energy, you know?

So I made a deal with la diabla myself – I’d only do 6 miles, but with 4 at tempo. Deal. IMG 6444 800x600 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes6 miles (4 tempo) – 51:59 Average Pace 8:40

• Mile 1: 9:07
  • Mile 2:8:28
  • Mile 3: 8:37 (hill in there)
  • Mile 4: 8:12 (downhill next two)
  • Mile 5: 8:15
  • Mile 6: 9:19 (walk break in cool down)IMG 6446 800x600 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

I actually took a shower before eating today. How fancy wlEmoticon winkingsmile18 Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

I think it’s important to have pancakes during the work week. It just makes it go by faster. I made super quick batch of oat brancakes.IMG 6448 800x533 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

Ingredients: 1/2 cup egg beaters, 1/2 cup oat bran, 1 Tb. chia seeds (helps thicken) dash – salt, baking powder and soda, stevia packet and cinnamon. Mix together.  Cook. Note: Oil pan well or they will not flip easy and fall apart.IMG 6451 800x533 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

Top with at least 2 Tablespoons of Sunflower Seed Butter. Preferably more.IMG 6454 800x533 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

Eat with iced coffee and a smile wlEmoticon smile38 Tempo Tuesday and Oat BrancakesIMG 6455 800x533 thumb Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

Question: Do you have time to cook breakfast or is just “grab and go”?

Tomorrow I have a 7am client and I’ll grab a bar as I race out the door 5 minutes late. But on days I don’t start until after 9am I like to cook something.

Comments

Those pancakes look AMAZING and healthy to boot. Unfortunately, I’m a bit of a procrastinator so I go for the grab and go but I’ve always wanted to be a morning person so I could make yummy breakfast food. Maybe these pancakes are the motivation I need :-)

I am really bad about eating in the car on my way to work, so that means I make an egg sandwich or eat a muffin on the go. If I plan in advance, I make oatmeal the night before and eat at my desk. Weekends mean I have time to make pancakes or french toast. I look forward to weekends just so I can sit down and enjoy my breakfast!

On weekdays, I usually eat at my desk at work. Typically it’s some instant oatmeal and Greek yogurt. But on weekends or when I’m working from home, I like to kick it up a bit. Baked doughnuts (with maple glaze, OMG!), french toast, pancakes, frittatas, running eggs and biscuits. Mmmm… It just might be a breakfast for dinner kind of night!

During the week I have time to make breakfast – but usually just yogurt bowls, overnight oats or smoothies. Pancakes, french toast and the really yummy stuff is saved for weekends when I have more time!

I almost always have overnight oats so it’s ready to eat. I am usually pretty busy in the mornings so I don’t have a lot of time or patience to make a full breakfast!

I do make a similar pancake for lunch sometimes, but it has 1/3 cup egg whites, 1/3 cottage cheese and 1/3 cup oats and baking powder. I make one savory with pepper and spinach, peppers etc added in and then 2 sweet with Truvia, cinnamon, pb and pear slices. I think I got the recipe from mealsandmoves.com!

I have plenty of time to make breakfast since I’m on summer vacation for about two more weeks but I am sure if I don’t plan ahead once I start back to work there will be a lot of grab-n-go or starv-o!

Sorry, I am such a dork! :-)

During the week I generally just go the smoothie route since it’s easy to take to work with me. But on the weekends I <3 making special breakfasts-especially after runs!

Does having pancakes for dinner count :)

8. Jill says

Since I get up in the middle of the night, I have my breakfast after I’ve worked a couple of hours. Instant oatmeal with a tablespoonful of peanut butter and some fresh fruit. If I’m not organized enough to have fresh fruit cut up and ready, I use Trader Joe’s chunky applesauce.
    Same thing on weekends, since I run in the mornings when I’m not working. I have the oatmeal at O’dark thirty and let it settle for long enough to stay down, when I run. It seems like the perfect meal, to me.

Usually I make up some VOO so I can grab and go in the morning. If not, I bake up a healthy breakfast bread at the beginning of the week and eat off of that so I can grab and go to work…and it is still healthy and satisfying!

10. laura says

Hi Monica
    I love your blog and i am training for my first marathon in December. My problem is that i am starving marvin all day, what can i eat that make me full for at least three hours? is it normal?
    Please advice :)

I try to make time in the morning by getting up early. I’m definitely a breakfast eater and am really hungry in the mornings so id be pretty cranky if i missed breakfast! or just had a bar…i need more food!

12. Christin says

I always bring my breakfast with me to work…it’s almost always greek yogurt, some type of fruit, and then a nonfat double short latte that I pick up on my way. Sometimes i’ll throw in a clif kidz bar because it’s chocolate brownie awesomness. I get up at oh-my-gosh-o-clock in the morning, so I can’t really think let alone eat until I am settled at my desk with my coffee chugged :)

I usually just make some overnight oats the day before then eat them when I get to work. I’d prefer to make french toast at home, but I can’t eat that early :( it makes my stomach hurt if I eat right when I wake up. Oh well, makes my weekends more special!

My work shift doesn’t start until 2pm so I always have time to make breakfast. Usually it’s oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, toast, all the good stuff. :-)

Those cakes look yummy!
    On weekends I make Cat Cora’s blueberry+walnut+oat pancakes (recipe from RunnersWorld.com) I like the chia seeds suggestion. I may add that to my weekend staple after reading this!

During the week I make microwave rolled oats+bran+banana+peanut butter.

Oh, and coffee.
    Can’t forget the coffee!

16. Anne C says

Hey there Monica,

I love your blog and am going to try and make these oat bran cakes for b’fast tomorrow. Question though how much baking powder and baking soda do normally use when making this?

I’m a cereal or oatmeal and a banana every morning kind a girl! And sometimes as a right before dinner snack too… Mmm… Great job on the tempo! I have to make running deals with myself sometimes to get motivated, too.