Work Out with Bob Harper

I went down to Santa Monica to hang out with my ol’ friend Bob Harper today. (You know ‘cause we hung out Saturday too.)

IMG 7457 800x632 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Bob was a little freaked out to see this red-headed stalker again totally remembered me from Blogher and said “Hi!” as soon as he saw me. That made me happy.

Okay actually, Anthem Blue Cross invited me to this event to learn about how our health connects us all. My contact encouraged me to check out my health footprint before the meet up. You can calculate yours here.image thumb11 Work Out with Bob Harper

The event was held at Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica. The brick front hides an amazing beach backyard!IMG 7463 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

IMG 7460 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob HarperMr. Harper put us through a great workout on the beach in Santa Monica to start the day. IMG 7412 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

It was a partner style workout and I had my mom with me as my ‘PIC’. IMG 7426 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

We did lunges, jump squats, dynamic lunges, push-ups, planks and more. IMG 7414 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

IMG 7416 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

IMG 7415 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Then, we used our bag of travel exercise gear for a few moves too. IMG 7422 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

And this will forever be known as the day I frolicked with Bob Harper on the beach. In my head at least wlEmoticon winkingsmile9 Work Out with Bob HarperIMG 7423 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Here he’s showing us how to do a bench press using a partner’s weight. I love that a lot of the exercises were using your body weight or a partners – perfect for working out while traveling!IMG 7419 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob HarperHere you can see Bob walking away in disgust at my poor form on this triceps extension. Sorry, I’ll get better!IMG 7424 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Some girls get all the luck…IMG 7425 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

We ended the workout with a good stretch session. Bob is really big on yoga and I loved how he led the end of the session in a calming, but powerful way.

IMG 7427 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob HarperIMG 7430 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob HarperIMG 7431 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Amanda from Two Boos Who Eat was there! Love her wlEmoticon smile19 Work Out with Bob HarperIMG 7432 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

After the workout we had a cooking demonstration with my new favorite Biggest Loser Trainer (sorry Jillian we’ll always have the 30 Day Shred).

We made a stir-fry! I have often said I could live off of stir-frys for lunch and dinner (he must have known).IMG 7435 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

Bob made a point to say “There are no portion sizes for vegetables.” – Meaning you can eat as much as you want of them. He must not realize I can put a farm out of business in 2 meals. But, I am very happy that he condones my volume eating style.IMG 7437 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

In addition to the stir-fry we had eggplant, faro and kale. IMG 7446 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob HarperI have never seen such a healthy spread like this at any event! I guess any hotel or restaurant will deliver when you’re eating with a trainer from the Biggest Loser!IMG 7448 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

After lunch we had a Question and Answer session with him.

Things I learned from Bob Harper:

> Weight loss is about

1. Diet
  2. Diet
  3. Exercise
  4. Hydration
  5. Sleep

Yes, diet is in there twice!

> Use a little bit of the real sugar. Fake sugars are out. Sure, it’s not going to taste the same at first, but your palate will adapt.

> He used to be vegan. But realized his body needed something more and is no longer vegan. He got reamed by many people when he ate egg whites for the first time again.

> The contestants on The Biggest Loser workout up to 6 hours a day.

> He sweetens his oatmeal with blueberries.

> He is all for having a small treat every day. He said Jillian has a chocolate stash for this purpose (and no one better touch it!).

> He said alcohol really puts the brake on your metabolism.

> He will never give up coffee.

Me, Bob and my mom IMG 7459 800x533 thumb Work Out with Bob Harper

It was the best day of exercise and healthy eating with a trainer that really inspires me. I loved it!

Comments

Wow! I loved your previous video interview with Bob and couldn’t believe you met him…and now twice in one week?! Lucky duck! ;) He really inspires me too, and he seems very down to earth, real, and approachable – I love that! Glad you had such a great day!

I actually think that you should make the picture with your mom + Bob your Christmas card for the year. I mean really, what’s going to be better than that?
    I’m so happy to know Jillian is a chocoholic, too.
    6 hours isn’t that bad, especially if you’re medically obese. I do 3 some days, and it’s tough but it brings out the results.

i love this post! it makes me like him so much more. i wish i had that stir fry for dinner tonight!
    but, just like he’ll never give up coffee, i won’t be giving up alcohol anytime soon…

4. FoodCents says

I like Mr. Bob – realistic, motivating, seems to believe in a mind/body connection to health & can totally pull off the tats.

I can imagine he got reamed by a few people, for not being vegan anymore. To each their own.

How fun! I loved your recap…so interesting to hear Bob’s tips. He’s my favorite too.
    I totally believe that diet is most important AND that alcohol hurts metabolism. Unfortunately, I really, really like wine. And Beer. And Martinis…
    Guess I’ll keep running marathons and NOT losing any weight. :)

Bob Harper is hot! I can’t wait for BL to come back. And you are super lucky for getting to meet him in person! Yeah!

Thanks for Bob’s tips. I know diet is the one thing that I’m not doing totally correctly and is what is keeping me from losing the weight I need to lose. But I really love his tip about having a treat every day. If Bob says it, it is so.

Absolutely loved this post!!!! I’d love to hear more about Bob’s take on sugar vs. fake sugar because there are so many differing opinions out there. You DO look awesome & skinny & your mom is ridiculously adorable!

I hope you remembered to tell him, “my bff chandra is totally in love with you and wishes she was here so this hug is from her!” ;) AAHHH!! SO JEALOUS! I.Love.Bob.Harper.

9. Jen says

I agree. When people say you can eat as many vegetables as you want they don’t realize I could easily eat a normal day’s worth of calories in vegetables only.

Is he as cute in person as he is on t.v.? Is he friendly? He seems intimidating.

So jealous!!!! I’ve met Jillian, spun with Brett Hoebel, and worked out with Olivia and Hannah (winner and runnerup season 11) — it’s my dreammm to hang out with Bob Harper!!!

It looks like you had the best day ever. I am super jealous!

A man after my own heart is one who will not give up coffee. Life is much to short.

What an awesome event! I wish we had such things around my part of the woods. What did Bob mean when he said use a bit of real sugar and fake sugar is out? Did he mean cut out the sugar substitutes and use real sugar instead?

sooo jealous!!!! thanks for the insider scoop. ive never watched the biggest loser, but im OBSESSED with jillian, and therefore by default, love bob, too. im especially jealous because you were a mile from my casa and we didnt get to meet up!

14. Heather says

Exercise should be last on that list. Food and diet trumps all in weight loss. You can’t outran a bad diet. And also six hours, really? I shouldn’t be surprised. I went to a casting call for the second season of Biggest Loser and it was… Interesting. This was before woman who were significantly overweight were on the show, so I think I may have been too big for consideration. Oh, and watch Fathead. It’s amazing.

15. Eileen Jeanette says

I am so jealous of you it hurts. I was at the gym this morning doing all the awesome things you have taught me with balls and bosus and weights while you were having fun with Bob. Sigh…. Next time you get a chance to meet him I will carry your gym bag and cut up lots of watermelon for you if you let me tag along. :-)

I am so excited for you that you had a wonderful day workout and cooking with Bob! He truly is someone that I admire a lot and I love that you had the experience. Again, anytime that you want a personal assistant let me know =)

17. Bee says

Brilliant post! The Biggest Loser isn’t that well known over here in the UK but i’ll be making the effort to check it out and see Bob Harper in action!

Also – maybe it’s just me but in some photos he really looks like David Beckham…with the tattoos and all… anyone get that?

Love the blog as usual :D

This event looks amazing! I am so jealous that you got to workout with Bob. Also, the thought of working out for 6 hours a day is somewhat terrifying. But I guess it works! Question: what did Bob mean by “fake sugars are out”?

I.love.Bob.

I’m not usually a big tattoo person, but his artwork makes me want to drag Lucas down to the shop and get him full sleeve tattoos. Stat.

So jealous!

Too cool that you met Bob TWICE…

I can’t believe they work out 6 hours a day! What a culture shock when they come back in the real world and have to go to those time-sucking things called jobs. I bet it is really hard for them to keep up the weight loss.

Bob is so hot….seriously like perfection! I really liked seeing his 5 items for weight loss…the older I get the more I realize that losing weight is all about the diet (which sucks.) Also it was good to see the alcohol comment in print…my hubby and I have decided to not drink for awhile as I do think it hampers the weight loss. (I’ll miss you wine.) I have lost 20 pounds recently and “only” have 30 more to go! :)

22. Sara says

Hahaha this post made me laugh. I love when Bob is “walking away in disgust”! It looks like you had an AWESOME day! Thanks for sharing! :)

Looked like such a fun day with Bob Harper! That lunch looked amazing too! I grew up in Santa Monica-haha Monica this place suits you well :) and that hotel is very nice! The bar makes good cocktails too.

24. Monique says

Is it just me, or have you toned up quite a bit during this marathon training?? You have been looking thin (in an awesome hot/blog friend kinda way!) and strong! You go girl! Super motivating! You look great :-)

• Monique says

Ok, lemme clarify before I get trampled on….these comments always get overly criticized. You have always looked as such in my opinion, but you are always saying you want to lose a few pounds. Just giving you a compliment is all!

Thanks Monique :)
        No worries, I know it’s hard to hear someones intent with comments sometimes.

Even my mom said, “You look good in those pictures!” when she saw this post. I was having a good day, I guess :)

I didn’t know who he was before reading this post and now I think I love him. I like having a stash of sweets for cravings. I work around sweets and used to eat multiple cupcakes a day, but lately have realized I have this thing called willpower and instead will eat a spoonful of nutella or something. That’s a hell of a lot better than getting a taste of a delicious cupcake and then hours later realizing I want more!
    I’m glad he added that biggest loser contestants work out up to 6 hours a day – I was wondering about the show Heavy because they get some AMAZING results, but I’m pretty sure they work out like all day.