Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

Happy Saturday! Before I forget, last night I made an awesome fruit salad with plums, watermelon, naners and pineapple cottage cheese. Oh, and lots of Puffins. I was carb loading, always am really wlEmoticon winkingsmile24 Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want IceIMG 8153 800x600 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

I set my alarm for 5:16am to try and get running before it got too hot. I’m in Southern California and we’ve had a really mild summer (hasn’t even got above 95), but the heat is here now!

I fueled up with a TJ’s sprouted sesame bagel with Barney Butter and iced coffee.IMG 8159 800x600 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

Then, I set off for my 20 mile long run.IMAG0011 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

It was okay. I didn’t feel great, but was able to push through when I wanted to quit at mile 15. I got a weird neck spasm at mile 14 and took a long break to stretch it out. IMAG0008 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

20 Miles – 3:04:16 Average Pace 9:14

I’m going to break it down so I can reference this for next time. Scroll down, thanks.

• Mile 1: 8:56
  • Mile 2: 8:53
  • Mile 3: 8:55
  • Mile 4: 8:48
  • Mile 5: 8:47
  • Mile 6: 8:52
  • Mile 7: 8:58 (Gu #1)
  • Mile 8: 8:52
  • Mile 9: 8:59
  • Mile 10: 9:05
  • Mile 11: 9:10
  • Mile 12: 9:23
  • Mile 13: 9:10 (Gu #2 around here)
  • Mile 14: 9:12
  • Mile 15: 9:18
  • Mile 16: 10:42
  • Mile 17: 9:28
  • Mile 18: 9:29
  • Mile 19: 9:30
  • Mile 20: 9:38

Unfortunately, last year’s 20 miler was 3 minutes faster. I pretty much used the exact same route too! I feel like I’ve gotten faster this year so that must be a fuel/hydration/rest issue I need to examine.

Just happy to be done.IMAG0017 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

Ben bought me a big bag of ice so I couldn’t skip the ice bath like I wanted. Some girls get flowers, I get ice. IMG 8168 800x600 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice* I only used half of it and stayed in for 10 minutes. Ice baths are no joke.

And I scarfed down this bar as soon as I got home. I don’t know if it was the fact that I just ran 20 miles and anything would have tasted good or what, but I thought this was delicious!!!IMG 8171 800x600 thumb Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

Plans for the day include lunch out (preferably somewhere “all you can eat”) and going to see The Help with my mom wlEmoticon smile36 Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice  Though, I really want to take a nap in there somewhere…

Have a great day!

pin it button Some Girls Want Flowers, I Want Ice

Comments

I can’t believe you ran 20 miles in this heat! I just came back from a 12 miler and had to lay down in my living room until I cooled off. I totally jinxed the weather- last week I was thinking about how cool it’s been on my long runs and then it has to go and get hot. Congrats on finishing!

Ice baths freak me out. haha. Good job getting the 20 miles done. I can’t even imagine! 13.1 was my longest and that ended up being pretty horrific. Perhaps if I was also better trained, had better fuel and hydration it would have been better too. I hope the neck is feeling better!

Yay for the 20 miles. Being only 3 minutes off from last year isn’t bad – that could totally be caused by so many different things…kudos for pushing through the last 5 miles!

And ice baths…serious business!

4. Melodie says

Wow on the 20 miles! And your times look great! I have yet to go over 7 but have an 8 miler tomorrow training for my first 1/2. I could not imagine running 20… especially in HEAT. And yay Ben for having your ice ready!!

I’m jealous of your ice bath! I did my 18 mile long run but we had to fill up the bathtub with fresh water in preparation for this hurricane. Great job on your times. 3 minutes off could be anything. How do you keep hydrated on your runs? I’m going through 1.5 litres of water by 9 or 10 miles. I have to design my routes around convenience stores in order to get more liquids for the return trip.

That’s still a very nice 20-miler. I have found this summer than aiming for negative splits on many of my runs and most of my long runs makes for a better run, both physically and mentally. Instead of slowing at the end, I’m picking up the pace, and it’s a great feeling.

I used to buy NuGo bars all the time from the local convenience store on my college’s campus but haven’t had much luck since moving home to the DC area… That flavor looks like the bomb-diggity, all my favorites jammed into one bar!

I knew I couldn’t handle an ice bath. I once tried to just do cold-ish water and I was FREEZING. I did it for about a minute and said “screw this” and jumped up for a warm shower. Although I use water that my husband calls freezing for my nice warm shower, so my temp may be all kinds of off.

That fruit salad sounds awesome!

Awesome job on the run! I did a 20 miler today and had to rush to worth right after and now my legs are killing me! Heh I should have saved time for an ice bath….