My Favorite IT Band Stretch

Happy Wednesday! I had a tempo run on the schedule today but felt really sluggish. Instead of skipping it I decided to just do my best and accept that my miles wouldn’t  be that fast. I was aiming to make them just a bit faster than usual.

6 miles – 52:40 Average Pace 8:46IMG 8341 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

• Mile 1: 9:20
  • Mile 2: 8:35
  • Mile 3: 8:46
  • Mile 4: 8:19 (back down hill)
  • Mile 5: 8:34
  • Mile 6: 9:02

While Ben was in the shower I rummaged around the kitchen and saw stale corn tortillas. No one likes stale tortillas! Instead of tossing them, I made him Chilaquiles. IMG 8344 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

In the mix: 2 chopped corn tortillas, green onion, bacon (that he cooked previously), 2 eggs, tapatio and cheese.

First, fry up the corn tortillas in a little oil. Then add onions and bacon till warm. Add eggs and tapatio, cook through. Top with cheese.IMG 8345 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

I stole a bite and decided I wanted eggs too!IMG 8363 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

It’s all about a bagel with cream cheese and jam. Both is better.IMG 8366 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

Even though I have a foam roller, I avoid it as much as possible. But, I do try and bust out my favorite IT Band stretch a few times a week. The trick is to lean toward your leg, but not push forcefully. Be gentle and breathe into the tightness.IMG 8354 800x533 thumb My Favorite IT Band Stretch

I loved reading everyone’s “Time and Temperature” yesterday! It’s so interesting to hear from people all around the world wlEmoticon smile41 My Favorite IT Band Stretch

Question: What’s your favorite kind of jam?

I’d go with strawberry preserves. I also love boysenberry, but don’t get it that often!

Comments

Why do you try and stay away from the foam roller? I I had an IT band injury a year ago, it was so tight I couldn’t even WALK normal..or not in pain. The foam roller saved me! lol. I have to stretch everyday after my runs and at the end of the day..my muscles get all spasmy and tight if I don’t. For the last oh..5 or 6 months? – I’ve been dealing with more injuries, because I would skimp on the stretching and foam rolling every other day to get to class on time…BAD IDEA! I know that that’s what caused the injuries…too tight.Jam..eh, Well, we usually have boysenberry at my house, or Apricot..or Damson. When I was a kid I liked strawberry, but it got boring after so many times, and grape is always good occasionally.

Why no foam roller? I have been using a frozen water bottle… works like a dream! Love the stretching tip… I have a looooot of stretching planned in my future and will most certainly use this one!

Concord grape or red raspberry jam with cream cheese on raw bagels! Raw = untoasted ;)

Also, what a great way to use stale tortillas! I could learn something from that! I am so wasteful… but your chilaquiles recipe is totally something my boyfriend would do too! he is the king of using left overs :-D

I love that I finally got a foam roller, but I find myself avoiding it too. It’s just so much work.

I can’t stand most jams actually. Although strawberry is clearly better than any other. ;)

4. Ida says

I like using a lacrosse ball to massage my IT bands, it’s less work than the foam roller.
    I love raspberry jam, but sometimes grape jelly hits the spot!

5. Christi says

Favorite jam? It would have to be Olallieberry, we had it last summer when we were visiting Cali at a little hole in the wall tavern in pescadero…sooo yummy!

Ooooh! That breakfast you made for Ben looks amazing! I am a huge fan of Tapatio…it’s the best!
    I do a different version of that IT band stretch…I sit in a chair with one leg crossed and bend forward a little at a time…gravity is totally my friend for once…lol!
    I am a freak for orange marmalade…I was into Paddington Bear when I was little :)

I totally love cream cheese and jelly. It’s like a breakfast dessert. I’ve been eating blue cheese spread from Laughing Cow with fig butter and it’s fantastic!

My favorite jam would have to be strawberry, but I had some papaya jam on my honeymoon this year and it definitely gave strawberry a run for its money.

8. Aleks says

As long as it’s homemade, I am fine with any! Just had some homemade apple (which is basically tart apples fried with sugar… but so good!).

I have a foam roller but no patience for it… I rarely go above 5 minutes, I should try harder.

9. Kristabel says

I may be in the minority but I think jam or any sort is SUPER gross. All kinds of jam, I just can’t do it.

10. Kate says

My IT bands hate me too, like actively hurt while I run. I’ve been known to get down on the grass and bust out that stretch mid-run. Ooh and huckleberry jam, half for the name and half for the taste :)

I just tried TJ’s Spreadable Goat Cheese and Jelly= HEAVENLY! IDK why I haven’t made that combo before- my momma always used to toast my bread with butter and jelly when I was younger, but never with [goat, cream, etc.] cheese… I was missing out!

Cool addition of tortillas, never thought of it! Are they still soft or a little crunchy after they get cooked in?

12. Kristin says

Marionberry, blackberry, boysenberry–all the dark, seedy berries. My specific favorite is blackberry peach preserves from Nervous Nellie’s Jam’s and Jellies (in Maine, but they sell online/by mail).

I love, love, love boysenberry jam from The Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo. You might need to consider a road trip. Their apple butter is also wonderful.