Manager’s Special Tips

I took my car in for some service this morning so Ben had to drop me off at work. We got really into this NPR story about a former gang member girl. Anyone else hear it?IMG 8723 800x600 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

After my short shift (1.5 hours) I walked home. Saw this sign on the way. Right smack in the middle of Los Angeles and San Diego. Kinda. IMG 8724 800x600 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

It was overcast all weekend and today the sun decides to bust out and shine on me for my walk. The camera doesn’t do my sweaty forehead justice.IMG 8731 600x800 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

I made a pit stop on the way home because we were out of lettuce. I scored 4 manager’s specials on produce! I know we all love a sale, but a sale on food is that much better!IMG 8819 800x533 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

sale time thumb Manager’s Special Tips(nataliedee.com)

Tips for scoring Manager’s Specials:

1. Shop in the early part of the day. I usually only find them between 10am and 1pm.
  2. Go to where your store keeps these sale items first thing. (Because there are 20 little old ladies who are going to get to them first if you don’t.)
  3. Check the expiration dates. (If you care about that sort of thing. I like to live dangerously and will eat basically anything.)
  4. Be ready to change your weekly meal plan / shopping list. Luckily, I don’t make one very often so I just use up my sale finds asap.

I used my salad and pico de gallo for lunch! Salad with chicken, peanut dressing, cashews and veggies.IMG 8822 800x533 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

I considered putting my watermelon in a separate plate, but that’s just silly.IMG 8823 800x533 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

Dessert – I adora these wlEmoticon winkingsmile4 Manager’s Special TipsIMG 8828 800x533 thumb Manager’s Special Tips

See you in a bit!

Comments

I love sales! Do you ever shop at Fresh and Easy? They always have a good amount of sale goodies, sometimes more than half off. Their premade hummuses (hummi? whatever, multiple hummus) are amazing! They can be hit or miss but I heard that they tend to put the expiration day 2-3 days before the food is expected to go bad, so if you are getting it on the expiration day, you are still good to go. Besides, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right? Haha.

I am obsessed with manager specials. Before my grocery changed their policy I would go first thing in the morning to get discounted baked goods. Sometimes I could a half dozen doughnuts or a loaf of bread for 99 cents!Now its half priced which is still ok but just not the same

I really love your manager’s special posts! You can incorporate those specials into meals that you normally eat… and perfect for those who don’t plan out their meals. I definitely do not. Planning probably helps curb spending but I like to be spontaneous… I always end up changing my mind and I like the freedom to chose what I crave right then and there. Looking out for crazy deals is key. That bagged salad actually looks very fresh! I use salsa/pico de gallo in my salads ALL the time. SO good. I essentially eat some form of a ‘taco’ salad every night haha

4. Ida says

I didnt hear the NPR story on the gang girl, but it sounds interesting. I’ll have to look for it online. NPR is the best!

5. HeatherDee says

I heard that NPR story too! She has like 5 kids now and lasered off all her gang tattoos. Amazing.

Love your blog – thanks for keepin’ it real :) My freezer is full of manager’s specials!!

I’ve never seen a manager’s special before! Given the amount of produce I buy in a week, this would come in handy.

You mentioned once that you get your peanut dressing at Trader Joe’s, I think. What is it called? I went there the other day and couldn’t find any.

I love, love, LOVE clearance/manager’s special shopping. So much so that I have a tag on my site called “orange and yellow” because I always scout out the color in the store, haha.

http://www.quirkycookery.com/2011/02/clearance-stickers-addicted-to-yellow.html (Yes, I’m linking to that and hoping it doesn’t come off as spammy…it’s just a picture of a pile of all my stickered produce one week and I’m *not* one of those crazy shoppers that uses a million coupons and goes nuts with frugality even…it was just awesome luck).

And one of my favorite parts (aside from the money saved) is that it often creates a menu plan for me. I don’t write one, so it’s not a matter of changing what I have planned….it’s a matter of giving me a focus for the next few days after I buy those clearance items since they have to be used up quickly. Produce is especially awesome because it can be added to just about anything, yum.

8. Holly says

I LOVE manager’s specials…but I end up thinking I need to eat everything that day and end up with a HUGE fruit and veggie food-baby…

I just figured this out as I stopped by the grocery late this evening and all the “specials” were gone. I was so mad!

Just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it; I’m a fairly new runner (a year and a half ago) and am gearing up for my first half-marathon in a few weeks. Excited and nervous at the same time!

10. Sandra says

I did listen to the same NPR story. Living in the rural part of the midwest in an area where we have gangster “wanna-be” types it was amazing and sad to hear that true life account of growning up in that environment.

My grocery store doesn’t have a section for sales like this. But how awesome! I actually know of a grocery outlet that will have some cheap stuff, but it’s always PACKED and they never have more than two cashiers. I can never decide if I really want to save money, but have to waste two hours in a grocery store…

12. Nicole says

I love the area at the back (or side) of any Ralph’s stores that have the racks of boxed foods on sale…everything from bread to cupcakes to jars of peanut butter. YUM!! But yeah, salad on sale = SCORE!!