I have the Marathon Taper Crazies!
My marathon is 12 days away, this means by now I’m deep into the taper part of training. This weekend I ran 12 miles and Saturday I’ll run 8 for my last long run of the plan. I’m also running less mid-week.
By body is as ready as it’s going to be. There is no point in trying to squeeze in an extra run (or a longer run) now. What’s done is done and I have to trust my training. (source)
Now it’s a head game. I need to have faith in my training and be confident. The next 12 days are about 3 things:
1. Less Running. No more long or tempo runs (not that I did the latter). Now is not the time to take up a new sport either. I’m focusing on easy runs, a few strength session for upper body and maybe a fun gym class or two.
2. More Eating. Okay not really, but a few days before I will start emphasizing carbs!
3. Getting my head in the game. I need to figure out my race strategy, my running mantra and how I’m going to deal with things when they get tough (and they will!). It’s best to acknowledge all of that rather than avoid it.
The Running Nut website has a great article on Marathon Taper if you’re in the same boat.
This morning I did 4 miles and felt great! I think Marathon Taper makes me bi-polar because one minute I am thinking about dropping out of the race, the next I feel speedy and bust out a great 4 miler!!!
I cannot get enough beans lately! I made a breakfast burrito with eggs, beans, and guacamole. Ole!
I’m on my third venti cup of iced coffee! I don’t know what my deal is, but I don’t really care that much either…
And a Vitatop for breakfast dessert. Fact: When you’re depressed over marathon taper time you should fill the void with carbs.
Monday Mini-Goals for 9/26/2011:
1. Stretch after workouts.
2. Get 8 hours of sleep a night = in bed by 10pm.
3. Brush teeth/close kitchen after evening snack.
Question: Got mini-goals for the week?
Got carb-loading plans?