10 am Hunger

Happy Wednesday! I had a 7am client this morning so I made a super quick breakfast. I ate this egg sandwich (with jelly and ketchup) at 6:30am. IMG 9930 533x800 thumb 10 am Hunger

In between my 7am and 9am clients I planned on doing a quick wardrobe change and run. It was supposed to be 4 miles, but you can see by the “8:55” on my watch that I didn’t have enough time for more! Side note: I only wear a ‘regular’ watch while working. I hate watches, yes it’s ironic I was wearing 2 of them!IMG 9934 600x800 thumb 10 am Hunger

After my 9am session I stopped in at Roadrunner Sports to see if they had my favorite shoes. I still need new shoes for the marathon and I need time to break them in. But, they don’t have a good color and I’d hate to spend that much money on something I’m not completely in love with (expensive!). Ugh. I need to make a move already!

I had more errands to run, but I headed home for food. By this time it was around 10:30am. I’ve noticed that no matter if I have breakfast at 6am, 9am or any time in between I’m always hungry around 10am?!?!

I chomped on some blueberries while making a quick packet of oatmeal with pumpkin.IMG 9937 800x600 thumb 10 am Hunger

natalie dee coffee drag thumb 10 am Hunger(nataliedee.com)

Is there a time of day you always get hungry?!

Also, very random – oats or oat bran for breakfast leave me hungry 2 hours later every time, but I feel like 99% of other people say it keeps them full till lunch. It doesn’t matter what toppings I put on it, I am always hungry shortly after.

Comments

I am totally with you on oats–I can’t figure out how to make them “stick to my ribs” as they seem to do for everyone else. They seem to slide right off mine and leave me feeling hungry. I always get hungry around 4:30. I could do the early-bird special for dinner every day and be a happy (old) camper.

Man, I always need a snack midmorning, regardless! it’s so obnoxious! usually it’s around 9:30 or so since I get up at 5:30 and eat around 6:30, but it’s always about 3 hours after breakfast, and an hour before lunch (argh). Maybe more protein? But I do eat a lot of protein at breakfast…hmmm…

Oats always leave me hungry too – and I load them up with extra fiber and fruit and peanut butter and coconut oil and still 2 hours later I feel completely empty like I haven’t eaten anything. I feel the same way if I eat an apple all by itself.

4. Kristie says

I am the same with the oats. A good friend (and fitness guru) told me to cook an egg in the oats. I haven’t tried it yet, but I think that may be the key. I am hungry between 10-12 on the days I work 6am at the gym for sure (even when I have a power breakfast like yours), it does take a lot of energy to train, so not suprised.

I HAVE to have a lot of protein in my oatmeal or else I don’t feel full. Usually I’ll add either peanut flour, cottage cheese, or greek yogurt, and it really does the trick for me!

And I am alwaaaaaays hungry. Always.

Oats always keep me hungry! If I’m having warm oats I’ll do 1/2 C. Water and 1/2 C. Almond milk and then I put some chia seeds (protein) fruit, and some sort of nut butter on top. If I’m having overnight cold oats I do a mixture of yogurt, milk, fruit, and nut butter. You could also put yogurt or cottage cheese into your oats towards the end of cooking them on the stove and that will give you more protein!

Oats have the same effect on me!! It makes me mad too because you ALWAYS read in mags/health blogs/etc about how great oats are at keeping you full. Yea right. I’m usually hungry just a short hour later, not even 2. It’s not even a normal kind of hungry. I’m literally ravenous. I don’t get why that is. I have to have my egg sandwich in the morning if I want a shot at staying full until lunch.

Also, jelly AND ketchup on that egg sammy?! I do one or the other, but I’ve never dared to try both at once.

8. Jamie says

I am the same way, I need protein in the morning or I am starving in two hours.

Also, I started eating green beans with ketchup because of you, I tried it and it is so good. My family thinks I am totally weird but that is all right with me :-)

I love eating small meals. So I have an early ‘small’ breakfast about 6:30a, then a mid-morning breakfast at 9:30a… it all works out. I love munching on healthy goodies.

BTW, love the comic & the wearing of two ‘watches’. Reminds me, I need to charge my Garmin.

I always struggle to get from 9am-10am without eating all my lunch and that’s the case whether I eat breakfast at 5am or 7:30am… I thin it’s because I work out in the evening? That’s my explanation at least :)

breakfast has to be protein + fiber and I don’t like oatmeal, so I eat eggs and cheerios. Close enough!

11. Ida says

Unless I have a really big breakfast I need a snack before lunch.

You could also set your garmin to display the actual time in one of the windows if you’re trying to make sure you don’t run late.

• Ida says

Haha, it took me a while to figure out how to change the screen view too.
        Go to Settings>General>data fields. Then you can change the number of windows you want on the screen. And then you can select what is displayed in each window( pace, distance, and all sorts of times). Hope that helped!

I usually try to eat every 4-5 hours if I can so that I’m never overly hungry. Choosing foods that are high in fiber typically help, but I also try to make sure I get a well-balanced blend of carb, protein, and fat at each meal/snack. If you find that you are still hungry a couple hours later though, its totally fine to have a little more somethin’ somethin’ to get you by – just make sure its a nutritious option. ;)

13. Aleks says

Cereal + milk always makes me hungry in 3 hours! So my trick right now is to only have breakfast after I get to work, i.e. after 9. It means I get to sleep longer, I don’t have to buy my own cereal & milk (they are in the office pantry… I’m new so I haven’t really asked but I hope it’s OK, and I haven’t been a cereal thief for the past week). I call it a win-win-win situation! Oats do keep my full longer… but only if i don’t add any extra sugars to it (except maybe little fruit). I also like mixing oats with a spoonful of wheat bran, which has more fiber than oat bran.

No matter what I eat for breakfast in the morning, I’m ravenous by 9:30. Even though I have breakfast #1 at 6AM and #2 at 8AM, I’m more than ready for lunch by 10! I’m much more hungry in the mornings than afternoons so I don’t fight it and feed my belly!

Yeah, I’m one of those that has oatmeal in the morning and is really full for 4.5-5.5 hours. Especially if I eat an apple with it, sooo filling. But I always seem to want a snack before dinner. Even if lunch was fairly filling, I just get snacky about an hour before dinnertime. I think it’s more of a mental thing for me.

Oats totally fill me up till lunch, but I am with you guys on the apples thing, you need to eat at least two to feel anything in your stomach.
    I am more like Amber K, I get snacky around dinnertime. As soon as 5pm rolls around and I jam out of the office, I have to have something carby and crunchy. I usually exercise after work though, so I need a little something to see me through that until I start cooking dinner.

17. Tara says

You can change the settings on your garmin so that you can see the time of day also. Then there are 4 windows on the screen. Everything that you have on there already will show, but also the time. I never realized that either and it was making me crazy that I couldn’t see the time when I was running. I was fooling around with it one day and realized that I could add the time. I think its under settings. Then you won’t have to wear 2 watches! Are you running Long Beach?