Zero Week–After the Marathon

Hello! After the marathon I did the obvious – Rest, Eat, Repeat wlEmoticon winkingsmile7 Zero Week–After the Marathon

If you were also MIA from the computer yesterday – I ran a marathon and am glad it’s over.

This morning I woke up to the smells and sounds of Ben making breakfast. His egg sandwich looked so good I made one for myself!IMG 0404 533x800 thumb Zero Week–After the Marathon

Open face style on sourdough for optimum yolk enjoyment.IMG 0405 800x533 thumb Zero Week–After the Marathon

But, it needed something… cheese!IMG 0411 800x533 thumb Zero Week–After the Marathon

I took a short walk to shake out my legs while talking with my friend Susan on the phone. We are going to her bachelorette party this weekend!!! I really need some fun after all this marathon torture training.

Post-walk fruit.IMG 0415 800x533 thumb Zero Week–After the Marathon

According to Hal Higdon, the week after the marathon is considered “Zero Week”.

For the day after the marathon he insists, “No running today! No exercise of any kind! Take it easy.” Yes, sir.

He says you should take 1 day off of hard running for every mile of the race. That’s 26 days off from hard runs, long runs or races for a marathon. It’s basically reverse taper for 3 weeks.

Now, you might read blogs written by hardcore athletes to whom running and recovery come easy. I am not one of those. I am going to take this week to rest and reassess my goals. This includes running, work, life, all of the above. I’ve had a lot on my mind lately and want to take some time to get my ducks in a row.

Music Monday – M.J.’s Man in the Mirror is randomly in my head…

Question: What is the worst song to get stuck in your head?

pin it button Zero Week–After the Marathon

Comments

Congrats again on the marathon! You deserve the rest time.

The absolute worse song that I get stuck in my head is from a TV show that my stepson likes to watch. I hate the show and the song, but every time I hear it sticks. So frustrating. Makes me want to blare Black Eyed Peas at top volume!

Congrats on finishing sub 4 and take the rest. You totally deserve it!

The worst songs to get stuck in my head are like dumb songs from YouTube or from random websites. Like the PB Jelly Time song. It will stay in my head for-freaking-ever!

Congratulations! Your finish time is AMAZING! Also, I want to thank you for sharing that running is hard. It’s great to her from somone who just kicked major marathon tail! Enjoy your rest days :)

4. Jill says

Rest. Eat. Repeat. I like that.

Worst song? It’s a Small World. Got stuck on the Disney ride and listened to it for far too long, then got it set in my head for the rest of the day.

Congratulations on your awesome marathon!!!

Man in the mirror is a pretty good song to have stuck in your head (RIP MJ!) :(

I always have something or other stuck in my head, because I live my life to the soundtrack in my head (lol)…but let’s see…I hate it when Disney songs get stuck in there…they never go away! ha!

I feel like the worst song ever is Yellow Submarine. Who knows where this song comes from? It just gets in your head and stays.

Also, I have an extreme case of the lazies and wish I had a good excuse like a marathon to be able to take today off from working out. But maybe I should let your hard work be inspiring instead.

7. Tiffany says

“I’m leaving on a jet plane, don’t know when I’ll be back again.” For some odd reason my hubby sings this song frequently (it is probably the only one he knows), and it gets stuck in my head. Even the 5 year old sings it now.

Way to go with the marathon. I have my first 1/2 on deck this weekend, but I hurt my knee somehow a week agao. So, I’ve done basically nothing now since then hoping to still get my race in even if I have to mostly walk it. I give you lots of credit. Enjoy your rest!

I’m a horrible example. I ran a metric marathon a week ago, and I will run 2 full marathons this month, with runs the day after each of those. In my defense, my training plan told me to. :P

For some reason, my suitemates have been OBSESSED with “Man in the Mirror” for the past few weeks. They play it when they wake up. And in the shower. And we listened to it in the car today. Oy vey.

Also, that cheesy eggy toast is making me want something cheesy and eggy and toasty. Mmm mm good.

I love running, but also the relaxing aspects of zero and taper weeks. I wouldn’t be able to run today even if I wanted to. The extra time means more home-cooked meals and time to catch up on work I’ve been delaying.