Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

Yep, it’s getting cold in Southern California! As soon as I stepped out of our bedroom I felt a chill (we have a room heater in there) and checked the weather outside. Brrrr!image thumb3 Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

But, I know these temps are very mild compared to many other parts of the county. I also realize that low 40s require some extra gear to run, but not thermals and a parka!image thumb4 Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

I’ve made the mistake of wearing too many layers in chilly weather and ended up super sweaty and peeling them off one mile from my house. It’s important to check the weather and figure out how many miles you’re running before you just throw on gear and go wlEmoticon smile9 Not Super Cold Weather Running Gearpeas in the shirt Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

I’ve already decided it’s long sleeve weather and this morning I busted out two more piece of my colder weather running gear – gloves and ear covers. IMG 2031 600x800 thumb Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

Freezing hands are a big distraction and pain when you’re running. I got these at Sports Chalet a while back. The ear covers are from Old Navy (years old though).IMG 2021 800x600 thumb Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

I have a few half marathons scheduled for next month, plus I’m toying with one more full. So, I need to get back on training! I did 5 miles with a few tempo miles thrown in.IMG 2024 800x600 thumb Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

Post-run breakfast – bagel with PB&PB and yogurt with granola. I had the biggest granola craving yesterday and made a special trip for it.IMG 2028 800x600 thumb Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

In Maryland I had to put on more layers in the winter and got good at cold weather running. You can read my Cold Weather Running post here.cold weather running gear thumb Not Super Cold Weather Running Gear

Question: Would you rather go outside to walk or run in 100 degree or 30 degree weather?
I’d pick 100 all the way (without humidity it’s not that bad)!

Comments

1. Jazz says

Man, all these bloggers talking about ‘cold’ weather gets me maaaad!
    Today it’s 10F and we have about 6 inches of snow… it only gets colder from here!

2. Christelle says

I laugh everytime I see post from bloggers in warm weather climates talk about cold…here in most parts of Canada, it’s gets freakin ridiculously cold -30c which is -22f on average for winter. We’re still all out there running, looking like snow mans with our eyelashes and eyebrows looking like icicles. We already have about 6 inches of snow to run through now and winter just started….so ENJOY you 30 degree weather!!

3. Kristie says

30 degrees is actually pretty close to ideal running temperatures for me, or maybe 40 if I really had to pick – and that would be long-sleeved & capri weather for me (definitely not a hat or gloves though). I know I’m crazy though :).

I ran in 30 degree weather yesterday! it was actually nice because the sun was shining. :-) i do prefer 40s and 50s though. i would most def. pick that over 100 degrees any day. i hate running in the heat.

I feel like such a baby complaining about how cold it is here (I’m in the Cali Bay Area) when I see the weather everywhere else in the country, but I can’t help it! I like my warm weather!
    And totally true about the gloves. I left this morning at 6am and should have worn them because painful fingers are not a motivating factor to keep going.

I’d much rather have the cold running weather, as long as its dry. I can always put more layers on. Plus, I have a really cute Brooks Jacket that only works when its below 30.

Haha, peas in my shirt….

I have such crazy respect for people who get out there and run in the cold. I’m in SoCal too, and getting out there when it hits 45 or below is really hard! But, I also have no trouble running in 90+ temps as long as I’m well-hydrated. We’re all products of our environment, I guess :)

It’s really hard to dress for changing weather I am often too warm or too cold. I still haven’t figured out how to run in sub zero weather!

I’d rather run outside in the 30 degree weather than in the 100. I feel dehydrated when I’m warm and atleast when I’m cold I feel like I can push myself a little more to warm up! Great blog, this is my first visit!!

30? That is pretty much PERFECT running weather!!! Anything above 50 is too warm. ;p

But seriously, winter marathon training in a place where it often hits the single digits with a fair amount of snow (100 inches or more!)? Cold does not bother me at all. You get used to it. On the other hand, when I ran the Vegas half last year that was the very first time I’ve run where it WASN’T humidity and the lack of sweat freaked me out.

30 degrees all the way! My last race was in March and I trained through one of the snowiest winters ever in Philadelphia. Having a pair of wind pants over my tights was always a good thing- but on top I never wore more than two pretty thin layers + gloves+ head warmer. It was scary on some days, but also really invigorating and challenging. I can’t stand the heat- way too much chafing!

I would definitely prefer the cold weather run…I inherited my dad’s warm blood…plus, you can bundle up and take layers off as needed, but in hot weather you could theoretically go nekkid and still be miserable! ugh! :)

I would prefer 30 degree weather! I really hate running in warmer weather which is why I never really want to plan a big race in the summer. Although, that is probably going to be hard to avoid but I will try to send the weathermen good thoughts so that it stays in the 60s!

My preferred temperature range for running is 45-65 with cloudy skies.

I prefer running when it’s cold. I can layer up as much as I want. With hot weather running, there is only so much I can take off. I don’t like breathing in the cold air though. It makes me cough all day.

Ahh, it’s in the low thirties in the AM up here (Oregon) too! No bueno, my face feels like a popsicle whenever I try to run outside… try being the key word ;)

On my run this morning my eye lashes iced up – brrr! The gloves are out, the jacket is on and I need to invest in a pair of warmer pants because the Adidas coolmax ones I am currently wearing are doing the opposite of what I want them to! Also, tissue in the pocket is a must :)

I’m about to go check out your cold weather running post to pick up some more tips :)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha…oh, how I giggle and smile when I read the “it’s cold here” blogs, knowing full well they are all located in the southern US. I ran a 5-miler on Saturday night, in the mountains, in the dark along with 1,500 other hardy souls, with the temps about 25-32F (can’t remember exactly what it was at race time). Sadly, I was over-dressed, and the gloves came off at about the 500 meter mark! Removed my toque (Canadian for hat) at the end of the race, and it looked like I had just walked out of the shower.

Needless to say, there is nothing more beautiful than a run on a crisp, cold, snowy winter Sunday morning, when your feet “crunch” in the snow, and the flakes are falling softly, the trees are covered and sparkling in the light…takes my breath away and affirms for me why I run.

As for the 100F – you keep it! It almost killed me (yes, I was scary close to collapsing) at an August marathon in Edmonton, when the temps were in the high 80′s – low 90′s. Made me write several future marathons off my list, just based on weather patterns.

The temps your chart showed for today…now that is perfect running weather.

18. Lori says

I agree with Carol (above) and loved her description of winter running. I am an American living in Northern Japan and we experience beautiful, snowy winters here. I can run in a snowstorm on the beach with the winter surf pounding as my soundtrack, which is amazing in every way. Running in the cold is just plain invigorating to me.

Hi Monica! I just stumbled upon your blog when I googled “what to wear on a cold run.” I was so excited to find a fellow so cal girl who hates the freezing temps like I do! I am running the Mission Inn 5K (My 3 race ever :) ) this sunday and they said it’s supposed to be cold and raining! AAAAHHHH! I’m hoping I can make it through considering I’ve been training in the warmer temps! Thanks for all your helpful posts on running in the cray cray weather!

30 degrees all the way! I’m from Boston so I love when my lungs fill up with cold air and I have a coughing fit when I come inside after my run. I love it!!!

The heat makes me whiny ;) I’d pick 30 degrees over 100 degrees any day. It snowed here the day before Halloween and I wore my short sleeved “costume” to run my 5k anyway. That’s about as hardcore as I get though.

22. Denise says

I notoriously overdress as well. I’m just a big cold weather wuss as a native Southern Californian. I ended up turning back for home during my warm up on Saturday for my arm warmers because the wind was a bit chilly. I took them off halfway through, but I’m pretty sure I made the right decision.

I have two halfs next month too – Vegas is going to be COLD and I want to test out all the cute gear I got to keep me warm.