Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive-Ins)

I said I was going to eat my way through San Francisco today and I wasn’t messing around! As soon as we landed Ben and I grabbed a rental car and headed to the Ferry Building. IMG 2464 533x800 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

He’s never experienced Blue Bottle Coffee so that was our first stop. This place had a super long line all day!IMG 2452 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)IMG 2453 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is the BEST iced coffee I’ve ever had. EVER. It’s called New Orleans style and I have no idea what that means, but it’s amazing.IMG 2458 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)IMG 2457 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

We also grabbed a few macaroons to share for a snack. By this time it was 1pm and we were ready for lunch. But, we were trying to wait for Clam Chowder bread bowls!IMG 2460 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

IMG 2462 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

After perusing the Farmer’s Market we headed toward Fisherman’s Wharf on foot. I love that they had a huge Christmas tree set up at one of the piers. I LOVE this season and don’t mind that it comes early wlEmoticon smile23 Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

IMG 2471 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Finally after an hour of sightseeing we made it to Boudin’s!IMG 2489 533x800 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

I think all food should be served in an edible vehicle, don’t you?IMG 2478 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

I got the combo with a clam chowder bread bowl and salad.IMG 2479 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

I love carbs.IMG 2483 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

IMG 2490 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Photo bombed by a bird.IMG 2495 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is Ben.IMG 2497 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is Ben on vacation.IMG 2504 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is Ben realizing he just put his hand in bird poop. IMG 2508 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Any questions?IMG 2505 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is Monica.IMG 2510 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This is Monica looking at the seals at Pier 39.IMG 2513 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

IMG 2515 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

<There are no more pictures of Monica because she remembered she wanted a vegan donut before the Ferry Building closed and took off to get one.>

After a lengthy Q&A session with the vendor about all the flavors I went with a Blueberry vegan/organic donut. All “vegan and organic donut” means is that it costs more to fill your body with 900 calories.IMG 2519 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

This donut is like the best moist blueberry cake you can imagine, frosted with Heaven.IMG 2524 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Ben and I took our time getting back to the car and planned out dinner. We decided to try a Diner’s, Drive-ins and Dives place – La Texanita in Santa Rosa! IMG 2539 533x800 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Guy Fieri is actually from Santa Rosa and did a good segment on this Mexican restaurant.

We started with chips & got free guacamole because it took so long to get menus.IMG 2527 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Ben ordered the Carne Asada plateIMG 2530 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Since this place is all about their homemade tortillas I got a big salad and side of beans, plus and order of tortillas for munching.IMG 2531 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Many times restaurant refried beans contain lard. This is why they are so delicious.

Praise the lard!IMG 2533 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

lard makes you fat and happy thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)(source)

Bye Guy!IMG 2536 800x533 thumb Boudin’s and La Texanita (from Diners, Drive Ins)

Question: Do you like the show triple D? Do you have a favorite diner, drive-in or dive?

Comments

We went to Boudin in San Fran. It was my goal to eat clam chowder in a bread bowl on the pier….it was Toly’s goal to see the Golden Gate Bridge…haha priorities!

Yay for SanFran! I had so much fun when I was there for Foodbuzz!

The Ferry Building was awesome! I got a salted caramel vegan donut, I almost got that blueberry, it looked good as well! Oh but the salted caramel, amazing!

Happy Sunday!

I like regular hot coffee, but iced coffee has just never appealed to me. I know a lot of people like it.
    A drive-in in my hometown was just torn down this week. Though it hadn’t had a restaurant in it for several years, it still has a lot of childhood memories for me. They used to serve the best hamburgers, onion rings, and I loved their ice cream!

4. Ida says

I’ve been by the vegan donut stand countless times, but have never eaten one b/c I’m always too full by the time I get to that end of the ferry building!

I think New Orleans-style coffee is coffee with chicory in it? That could also be entirely made up.

San Fran looks fun — Never been to California but this will definitely be one of my stops :)

Mmm, my heart melts for bread bowls- I could live off carbs… Guy is awesome, he’s got such a great TV personality!

P.S. We totes went out for Mexican last night too, to celebrate my Dear’s bday! But I gotta disagree, black beans > refried beans :P

I have all the same pictures you just posted lol, spent all of Friday doing those exact things- except I forgot to hunt down the vegan donut. I did have an amazing chocolate covered vegan cinnamon roll in Berkeley though.

Blue Bottle has chicory in it and is also cold-brewed, which is part of what makes it so smooth and sweet. (I was completely converted to cold-brewed iced coffee this summer. So easy! So good!)

I can’t stand Guy Fieri, but do love that show. We always look up places from there when we travel and haven’t been led astray yet.

Ok the doughnut looks amazing, the bread bowl looks amazing, and the tortillas? Oh geez, I’m in a carb-loving moment right now and I can’t actually eat any of that! Boo. But I will now be trying to create my own versions of everything to satisfy all of the cravings I have now. Or I’ll just continue to eat my apple while I dream about caramel. Dang it, I’m making some!

10. Marcee says

Fun post Monica! Love when you “dish” on vacays.

Sooo …. back to lard-beans. Really? No. I would bet (some) money that you would never eat em w/pork fat liquid. That type of grease will definitely do someone in.

Worse than butter.

Just sayin ….. (spillin the beans!)

I love Triple D! Probably too much. Was it a good recommendation? You didn’t say :) My father in law recently ate at a greasy spoon for breakfast in Pittsburgh that was on Triple D and he said it was dirty and awful, so I’m not sure if I trust Guy or not!

I love this post. I went to San Fran years ago before I was married or had kids and I had a blast. Your pictures were like a walk down memory lane… and doesn’t that wharf have the coolest little shops?? I went to one that was all old movie posters and black and white photos. So cool.

13. Christine says

Blue Bottle makes their iced coffee cold brewed! I’m now completely addicted to it. Best way to make it at home is to 1:3 ratio coffee to water (I use a 1:2 but I like my coffee super strong). Place in a large pitcher, stir and leave it for 6-8 hours in room temperature. run it through a coffee filter and refrigerate. So good and best part is you can use not so great coffee since you aren’t heating it.

14. Sihomara says

Hahahahaha….That “They’re happy because they eat lard” picture made me laugh so hard I cried. I get it. Im Mexican. I love me some refried beans with lard. On a different note….I am now craving Clam Chowder!

15. Denise says

I had no idea of the culinary delights that awaited me when I went for Nike Womens in October. I didn’t end up waiting in the coffee line and I totally forgot to the vegan donuts which Id read about.

Id love to go back for more food and fun, but I would need the calorie burn of a half marathon during it all to make me not feel like a total gluton.