Done and Drenched

When I woke up this morning and heard rain I considered going back to sleep. But, I really needed to get a good run in today (for physical and psychological reasons) so I went for it.

I thought it was just sprinkling, but it was really coming down when I set out! I was drenched within a mile, but I wanted to keep going.

Ben and I stayed up late talking last night – we had an opportunity to move to Florida and decided not to go a few days ago. I couldn’t really talk about it here, but I’ve basically been holding my breath for the last 2 weeks. So, I really needed to run my thoughts off today – even if it was pouring!

Southern California doesn’t function well with rain so all the people driving by kept giving me weird looks. “Who is this crazy girl running in this storm?!?!”

It’s me.IMG 4944 600x800 thumb Done and Drenched

My shoes are completely full of water now. They felt so heavy.IMG 4947 800x600 thumb Done and Drenched

Ten Miles done and drenched.IMG 4949 800x600 thumb Done and Drenched

Since I don’t do it that often, I have to admit running in the rain feels pretty hardcore. I feel proud of myself as people under the shelter of the bus stop shake their heads at me. And it reminds me of this old Nike ad I posted years ago…

“You pretended the snooze button didn’t exist. You dragged your butt out of bed while others slept. While others ate their pancakes you had a feast of protein, glucose and electrolytes. You double-knotted. You left the porch light on and locked the door behind you.

You ran 5Ks, 10Ks, 26.2 miles. Some days more, some days less. You rewarded a long run with a short run. And a short run with a long run. Rain tried to slow you. Sun tried to microwave you. Snow made you feel like a warrior.

You cramped. You bonked. You paid no mind to comfort. On weekends. On holidays. You made excuses to keep going. Questioned yourself. Played mind games. Put your heart before your knees. Listened to your breathing. Sweat sunscreen into your eyes. Worked on your farmer’s tan. You hit the wall. You went through it.

You decided to be man about it. You decided to be woman about it. Finished what you started. Proved what you were made of. Just kept putting mile after mile on your interval odometer.

For 25 years, you ran. And we ran with you. How much farther will we go? As far as you will.”

Breakfast: I ate a bowl of cereal before showering – I was hungry! Then, I made soy chorizo for breakfast.IMG 4953 800x600 thumb Done and Drenched

Warning: I put onions and green onions in my scramble. I don’t mess around.IMG 4954 600x800 thumb Done and Drenched

Now I’m off to a training class for work. We’re getting a new piece of equipment that I’ve never worked with before – a Flexi Bar. Ever used it?

Comments

Good for you for getting your run in. I haven’t done it yet. We have a birthday party to go to at 4:30 and I need to clean…blah…

So can you tell us more about Florida now that you aren’t going?

2. Bethany says

Good for you for getting out there. Today my 11 miles was in 21 degrees and it started snowing at about mile 7, so I real pretty hard core also.

I have such a hard time finding the push to run in the rain! I live in northern northern California and for the past few days it has rained like crazy! The sky is finally blue outside my window, though, so maybe today will be the day to finally get back outside!

4. Jaclyn says

Great job! It has been raining in Northern CA too. Luckily, the rain stopped this morning in time for my long run. I don’t know if I could have left my bed otherwise. Hopefully, your personal life will be more settled in the days ahead.

5. Traci says

Awesome work getting out there in the rain! Not always the easiest thing to do but once you’re out there you feel great right? I know what you mean about crazy looks. I ran in the snow here in Boston today and got some weird looks for sure. Actually people looked pretty much angry! I just laughed.

Love your blog btw…been a reader for years. I think you rock!

6. Leslie says

Good job on getting out there in the rain! I live in Portland and run in the rain all of the time. The biggest tip I can give you is: crumple up newspaper and put them in your shoes(more the better). They will dry out pretty quick!

7. Jamie says

That’s hard core. You are awesome for getting out there in the rain. Usually when it rains I just want to curl up in bed with a good book.

8. Grecia says

I was a wimp and decided to wait out the rain. I like running in the rain, but I don’t like starting my run while it’s pouring, just drizzling. I did get out the door at around 11 though =)

I love running in the rain. LOVE it. It’s always a struggle to make myself get out the door, but once I’m good and drenched, I’m loving life. I can’t explain it — it just makes me feel awesome and hard-core!

That ad was just what I needed. I’m quite sick and supposed to be going 13 miles today per my marathon plan. I was going to just nix it all together but now I’m going to head out for a shorter run and see how I feel instead. :)

Even though I’m in Oregon, I just can’t get down with being out in the rain for too long. Although, here no one would have given a second thought to you being out. You wouldn’t be even close to the only one. Your run sounds cathartic, but I’ve been rained on my whole life! Blech. Good for you for getting out there!

I love that Nike ad. It makes me feel strong and confident and good about myself.

I hope that the decision about moving to Florida (and not doing so) was made for the best possible reasons and that you and ben are happy and feeling strong together.