The Best Breakfast

I have been wanting to try Flame Broiler for weeks since I spotted an ad for it that shared decent nutrition information. So last night I got an all white meat chicken with brown rice bowl. It comes without sauce so I needed to add their “magic sauce”. And I’m sure by “magic” they mean “sugar”, but we’ll ignore that part.

IMG 5182 thumb The Best Breakfast

Ben got the combo plate. I am an orange thief.

IMG 5183 thumb The Best Breakfast

I’m going to do a strength workout today so I went straight home after teaching boot camp.

Okay, I’m a liar.

I passed by the amazing scone place  on the way home because I’ve been craving one for a week. But, they don’t open until 7am (I was 15 minutes early)!!! Fate decided no scone for me. It was probably for the best.

So, I went home and made my favorite sweet breakfast – pancakes. I have been using this Hodgson Mill mix and adding 1/2c egg whites to 1 serving for more protein.IMG 5190 600x800 thumb The Best Breakfast

Pancakes with PB and sf syrup. It’s not scone, but it’s delicious.

IMG 5198 800x533 thumb The Best Breakfast

I’m having a really “eat-y” week so I’m trying to fill up on iced coffee for now.IMG 5216 533x800 thumb The Best Breakfast

miracle of breakfast The Best Breakfast

Food Fact: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because you can put syrup on it. Yes, even cereal.

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I was doing a little research on “the best breakfast” yesterday. I found this study that says eating protein and carbs at breakfast is best. Good, I’m glad that’s settled.

New research suggests eating protein and carbohydrates together at breakfast can help support long-term weight control, at least compared with a high-protein, low-carb breakfast. In the study, published online in the December issue of the journal Steroids, 193 obese, non-diabetic adults were given either a high-protein, low-carb breakfast, or a mixed protein-carb breakfast as part of a weight-loss diet.

After 16 weeks on the diet, weight loss was similar: the low-carb breakfast eaters lost 15.1 kg vs. 13.5 kg for the mixed breakfast group, but the result did not reach statistical significance, which means the outcome may have been due to chance. After a further 16 weeks, however, the low-carb breakfast eaters regained 11.6 kg, while the mixed breakfast group lost a further 6.9 kg.

(source)

The article has some good breakfast ideas too.

Unlike the magic sauce in my dinner I don’t think there is one magic breakfast. I think you need to find a meal that’s realistic for you to make and eat and that keeps you full and happy.

Question: What’s your best breakfast?

I think my best breakfast is an egg sandwich because it’s satisfying and delicious, but my sweet tooth loves pancakes.

Comments

I am a creature of habit and I have egg whites, oatmeal with bb every morning. It’s filling and get’s me through my tough workouts. If I eat something sweet first thing, I will crave sweets all day, so I stay away from sugary stuff.

Lately, my favorite breakfast has been two hard boiled eggs sprinkled with some salt (love love love this), a whole wheat roll slathered with some low fat cream cheese and strawberry preserves, and a banana. It keeps me full until lunchtime. Sweet and savory, yum!

Almost every weekday I microwave egg whites into a patty and eat it on a high fiber english muffin with a slice of american cheese. Sometimes I add in a smear of jelly on the english muffin too. It’s a quick grab and go…On weekends I like to make soemthing that takes more time to prepare or consume…Oatmeal, scrambled eggs, or even a smoothie! I also love a good old fashioned bowl of cereal with milk and sliced banana but I can’t seem to practice portion control with cereal so I try not to have those too often :)

I love pancakes, but I always end up feeling like I’m in a carb coma after I eat them! What I normally eat is oatmeal, or occasionally a gluten-free waffle with cream cheese.

In terms of keeping me full, a green monster with Greek yogurt and fruit is best for me. It doesn’t quite kick my sweet tooth though. I LOVE sweet breakfasts. So I’m working on that. I feel more satisfied in some ways when I have a pastry or something, but then I’m hungry again too soon. For a while oatmeal was a good compromise, but I got tired of it after a while.

normal weekday morning: banana, 2 hardboiled eggs and Cheerios without milk… weekends I go crayzay and have an egg burrito! This weekend’s had feta on them too, which made my day.

7. Kristabel says

I used to put maple syrup on my Chex every morning as a kid. I still do when I get around to buying cereal. Hurray (I looked up the spelling and this is what came up) for syrup!

It’s funny, my whole life I’ve been all about the salty breakfasts- eggs and toast, eggs benedict (mmm), but the past 3 or 4 months I’ve grown a sweet tooth! I guess they say your body has full cellular turnover every 7 years, and you can develop new allergies, your hair can change texture… it looks like after 26 years my tastes have changed!

9. Jamie says

I have eggs almost every day. I have tried to hop on the oatmeal bandwagon and find that I am starving about two hours later. I may try savory oats soon to see if that works better for me. My mom is always telling me I shouldn’t eat so many eggs because it is unhealthy, but I usually only have one so I figure it’s okay.

I used to swear by oatmeal but haven’t had it in a year and a half–I loaded it up with the sugary stuff (excess fruit, brown sugar) and it wasn’t working for my weight loss. Now every day…seriously every day (even before long runs)…I have two scrambled eggs with a piece of multigrain toast and hot tea. Later on in the morning I’ll have my iced coffee!

11. janae@hungryrunnergirl.com says

Whenever we go to cali I force billy to Flame Broiler with me. I am HOOKED. Did you try the hot sauce….I crave it!

12. Alison says

I love oatmeal, I eat it at least 5 mornings a week. I just mix up the add-ins!

Questions- Do you track or count your daily calorie intake? Do you adjust your calorie needs based in your workout for the day? I’ve been keeping track of my calories (with a goal of 1,600 a day) but I find that I am always! hungry. Any tips?

I don’t track calories right now, but I keep saying I’m going to for a while. If I did though, I would shoot for 1800 a day to lose. Maybe up it for a week or two and see if you aren’t so hungry?

13. Amy says

Thanks to your tutorial a while back my breakfast EVERY DAY is an egg white patty on a sandwich thin with laughing cow cheese. YUM & Thanks!

My best breakfast is always savory. I just can’t start the day with something sweet. So I usually have a whole wheat sandwich with egg or cheese. Seems like the protein/carb combi is even good for me. Yay!
    Oh, and breakfast always includes coffee, of course. I prefer hot espresso with a splash of 2% milk, no sugar.

15. Elizabeth says

My best breakfast would have to be the one I came up with this morning! I took two whole wheat english muffins put them in a pan with a little pam and let them brown just slightly on both sides. Then I poured 4 eggs over the top of them. I cooked them until the egg was solid on the bottom then flipped! So it was like an open face omelet with an english muffin stuck in the middle! I added a little spicy salse and greek yogurt on top with a side of grapes! This breakfast kept me SUPER full until lunch!

So glad your blog has been working for me! My best breakfast is overnight oatmeal, Greek yogurt, an apple and chocolate peanut butter. Fulfills my sweet cravings while keeping me full all morning long.

17. Alyssa says

Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day (well other than dessert ;-) )!!! My favorite breakfast is an equal combination of pumpkin and 0% plain greek yogurt, mixed together with cinnamon and pumpkin spice, placed in the freezer for 30 minutes!! I feel like I am eating pumpkin pie frozen yogurt every morning for breakfast!!!

Overnight oats! Seriously so good. Use 6oz. Chobani Greek yogurt with 2/3 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 2 Tbs. chia seeds (these are a must to make it thick!) and a scoop of protein powder. voila! in the morning they’re perfect, plus a generous scoop of PB. Keeps me full from 8am-2pm when I get out of classes :)

My ideal breakfast to be really satiated is a bowl of oats (I soak mine for at least an hour, but not necessarily overnight, in vanilla almond milk with chia seeds, cinnamon, and a whole banana), and then 1 or 2 eggs on the side – I’ve been preferring hard-boiled eggs lately! that combo does it for me.

My favorite that I’ve been making lately is a whole wheat english muffin with a fried egg, french onion laughing cow cheese spread, and fake bacon (Morning star). The flavors are flippin’ amazing. Paired with a side of fruit, and it’s a winner. :-)

Before I started caring about nutrition and eating healthy, my all time fave breakfast was garlic fried rice, fried egg, and Spam. Yes, Spam. I’m Filipino and from Hawaii. ;)

But now my go-to breakfast is a blueberry protein shake. :)