My Bread and Butta

Happy Tuesday! It was rough waking up this morning because I just had to stay up and watch the RHWOBH Reunion – anyone else?

After teaching boot camp I decided to head home for breakfast before running. At this point I’m playing it by ear stomach and deciding day by day.

Chilly Mornings + Not enough Sleep = Ear Covers and Lots o’ iced coffee!IMG 5264 800x533 thumb My Bread and Butta

On the way home from camp I decided I wanted more cinnamon raisin toast for breakfast. I cannot get enough! I decided to stop on the way home for a loaf of Bagel Thins.IMG 5273 800x533 thumb My Bread and Butta

But, this got me thinking… When I hung out with my friend Susan recently we stopped at the grocery store for a snack she said she never has bread at home. susan at the grocery store thumb My Bread and Butta

I thought this was so weird since I ALWAYS have bread and eat it sometimes 2-3 times day. I’ve let myself run out of bread once since then and didn’t die (it was pretty close though). And that little experiment made me realize how much bread I eat! I eat PB&J toast before runs, bread with breakfast, egg sandwiches, garlic cheese bread…you get the idea.

I’m not trying to cut out bread because I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. Like my favorite Sh!t People tell their trainers video said, “People have been eating bread for centuries!” But I am going to try and opt for a bigger variety of whole grains for carb-age.Woman cannot live on bread alone, right?

I used my Cinnamon Bagels to make french toast. Dip it in some egg whites, dust with cinnamon and chia seeds, cook. Topped with PB & syrup.IMG 5226 800x533 thumb My Bread and Butta

Okay, I should get in a quick run because I have a pile ‘o emails and clients this afternoon.

Vote for your fave carb: Bread, Rice, Pasta, Cereal, Oatmeal, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Tortillas, Pitas?

Comments

1. abby r says

i totally stayed up to watch the reunion too and then i started to watch some of its a brad brad world to see the sneak peek for next week! yikes it pushed my bedtime back. i think my favorite carb is bagels or pasta. i don’t think pizza counts.

I dvred RHOBH!! Can’t wait to watch it! We have Ezekial bread at home and then some for my daughter but I really only eat it once a week before long runs. This is a HUGE change from my Portuguese upbringing when we had a loaf of bread and butter on the table for EVERY meal!! I would vote for bread or pasta….love them!

3. Robin says

Have you ever tried Western Bagel’s alternative pita bread or bagels? They are really high fiber and also have protein and only 110 calories, and they keep me more full than regular bread. I’ve made “french toast” with the pita, but I usually toast it and then top it with an eggwhite and veggie scramble.

As for the reunion, it’s on my Tivo. I’m possibly more excited for the “Watch What Happens Live” that follows, though. Do you watch it? I think Andy Cohen is brilliant.

I caught the reunion about halfway through but it is on the DVR so I will catch up later.
    Do I have to pick just one? Waffles, Bagels, pasta, scones, sweet potatoes. Not necessarily in that order.
    But fruit is a carb. So that would be #1.
    The Kidless Kronicles

5. Ida says

Does granola count? I also love naan! I haven’t seen the RHOBH reunion yet, but I am so excited to watch it later today.

Oh. I totally missed the reunion show. I’ll have to catch it sometime this week.

My favorite carb … hmmmm… in bread form probably Lite Whole Grain English Muffins. In rice form … I’d have to say Black Rice. I am not really into noodles right now but am trying to eat through the surplus that happens to be in my pantry. :)

7. Jen B says

I love that video! And I love carbs too: biscuits, bread and tortillas are the big ones for me. Hope you have a good run.

Bagel French toast???!!! You are a GENIUS!!! I am going to try that. I had to cut cereal out I the house, I ate too much of it. Oatmeal is much more filling and I’m never tempted to have another bowl because it’s not that great! That sounds sad when I write it out though!

Has to be potatoes in the form of french fries. I realized just how often i don’t eat actual bread when I had to go gluten-free. I tried some gluten-free breads, but they all upset my stomach. I haven’t eaten a slice of bread in probably a year and I don’t even really think about it. What I really miss is being able to dine out without asking a million questions of every person in the place.

10. Willie says

“I used my Cinnamon Bagels to make french toast. Dip it in some egg whites, dust with cinnamon and chia seeds, cook. Topped with PB & syrup.”

All added to today’s grocery list. How come I have never had this wonderful, delightful, filling AND healthy bread choice meal?? Well now I have and we will be the best of friends. Thank you!

I don’t keep bread in the house, but I definitely eat it out of the house. I have fallen in love with naan.

Funny video, however, I think it is very irresponsible for personal trainers to give out nutrition/dietary advice. They should stick to what the specialize in- EXERCISE.

12. JessicaE says

I love sandwiches, and especially now that i am pregnant they are a staple for me. So I tend to always have bread around too. But I’m not really a bread snob, so if I’m going to eat two sandwiches a day i try to make sure it is small and not so calorie dense AND 100% whole grain.

13. Ananda R. says

I love bread as well and I don’t particularly want to cut it out of my life, but I don’t want to gorge myself on it when I have it in the house. I’ve found that if I keep my bread in the freezer, I can space out servings a little better. The act of getting a slice out and then thawing it for a minute or so on the counter or in the toaster slows me down.

On a side note, have you tried the Innkeepers bread from Costco? It’s soooo delicious…. hearty and whole grainy and soft. I highly recommend it.

You are one of my favorite bloggers. Because you eat like me! I love bread. French toast, and sandwiches, and garlic bread. Yum! I recently have at least been trying to buy things with whole grain in them, and have become slightly obsessed with 9 grain and seed bread from the grocery store bakery. SO GOOD!