Salad Works and Six Miles

I had to work at 2pm yesterday so I had an early snack before I went. Cereal x2.IMG_6987 (800x600)

After work I rushed to meet Skinny Runner to carpool to Salad Works. (She probably would have run there if I didn’t beg her to drive me since it was only 20 miles away.)IMG_6988 (800x600)

Mini-Pam, Pam and Life sized SRIMG_6989 (600x800)

Salad Works is pretty awesome. They have 13 salad options or you can build your own. IMG_6990 (800x600)

Salad Works has locations in California and a lot in Florida and on the east coast.IMG_6999 (800x600)

The “Build Your Own” option comes with 5 toppings and extras cost $.79. If I got what I really wanted I would end up paying 20 bucks for a salad, so I stuck with my 5 item limit. I’ll say my 20 bucks for Whole Foods.

Even though it looks just a pile of romaine it had: Lettuce, cucumbers, chicken, egg, garbanzo beans and dressing. Okay yeah, that is some non-colorful choices. #Anti-oxidantBloggerFailIMG_6993 (800x600)

The salad eaters included Pam, Margot, SR, Sarah and Heather IMG_6997 (800x600)

I would go to Salad Works again. Especially if they had unlimited free toppings!

I got home and stayed up way too late hanging out with Ben and ended up eating a granola bar. Bust.Ed.

This morning I did 6 miles with no real goal pace. This is my “go to” route when I just want to run so I’m recording my splits for my reference.IMG_7001 (800x600)

6 miles – Average pace 8:45

• Mile 1: 8:49
  • Mile 2: 8:57
  • Mile 3: 9:05 (darn hills)
  • Mile 4: 8:21 (Yeah Hills!)
  • Mile 5: 8:27
  • Mile 6: 8:48

Then, it was Hammer Breakfast Time!

Made a beggel sandwich…IMG_7006 (800x600)

But ended up switching out the top half for PB&JIMG_7009 (600x800)

Question: Did you have a savory or sweet breakfast today?

Comments

Sweeeet breakfast as usual.. overnight oats with chia and banana, in a PB jar.

Come to NYC and ill take you to places that have unlimited topping salad bars for $7-$8!! I get every single topping even if I dont like them :-)

2. Meg says

I normally always ‘make’ something for breakfast – mostly bc my hub doesn’t eat unless I feed him but he was away this AM so I had a bowl of cereal which wasn’t special, it was a bland bowl that I ate while starting at a banana I wished I had put in it but shockling I wasn’t nawing my desk at lunchtime so it worked.

I had both this morning, and most mornings actually. A side of scrambled egg whites and toast with PB and banana with a sprinkle of chia seeds – I’m pretty sure I got the idea to sprinkle chia seeds on my PB toast from you so thank you! :)

Salad works looks so good! Ill have to check around San Fran to see if there are any near by. My breakfast this morning was deliciously sweet – 9 grain cereal with some maple syrup and sprinkles!

Sadly sweet….I have got to stop going to Starbucks. I have NO self control most mornings. Hate that about me.

I have seen that Salad Works place and wondered what it is all about I will have to check it out. I usually have an issue with paying lots for a big yummy salad when I can make huge ones just how I want at home for so cheap.

Man…California really does have the best food options! I love that this is where I came from…for all its problems, CA is also a pretty great state. 😉 NOTHING like this in Calgary and I’ve only seen one or two places in Canada that are fast-food-ish but healthy like this. Glad you could enjoy such a good meal with good friends- what a neat network!

I was going to go savory w/my breakfast but switched to sweet (Greek yogurt, blueberries, 1/2 banana, chia seeds and a crumbled up banana flax muffin – now you know my breakfast 😉 ) at the last minute because it was faster and easier. Eggs for lunch it is!

Monica, I rarely comment but ALWAYS read – 2 or 3 times a day. 😉 Thanks for being you, congrats on the 4 years of blogging, and I’d love to meet up for a running and Disneyland adventure sometime with you. (Remember we ran 14 miles with Tina in Philly?!) :) Have a great day!

Bonnie, Thank you so much for this comment. I know it’s hard to comment all the time, but I really appreciate when someone says they’re reading :)

Of course I remember that humid run in Philly! You are adorable :) I don’t get to run with blends often and cherish when I do.

I love saladworks! It’s my go to place when I don’t feel like making dinner for myself. I always get the make your own option and usually get the same thing every time. Lettuce, chicken, broccoli, carrots, blue cheese and craisins. YUM.

I have a sweet breakfast every single morning. Gotta love overnight oatmeal, fruit and chocolate peanut butter. I’ve got to have a savory breakfast sometime. But I don’t see it happening anytime soon :)

Sweet. I had Trader Joe’s version of frosted mini wheats with soy milk and half a banana. I usually do sweet during the week because it’s faster (oatmeal, cereal, yogurt), and I’m always running late!

10. MaryEllen says

Hi Monica,
    I am an “older” blog reader and I love your blog! I find so many bloggers (esp health/fitness bloggers) condescending or worse, and yours is anything but! Keep up the good work and happy blogaversary! (spelling is, I’m certain, way off).

11. Paula says

Hey Monica,

I am a fairly new runner..about 2 yrs and did my first 10 miler today. It was awful! The stars just weren’t aligned for it to happen. I know I am capable, but I am coming off of 3 days of being sick…so that may have had something to do with it. I completed the entire distance, but with a lot of walking. I would love to see when you post your mileage how you feel physically and mentally at each mile. The voice was very loud today…;) Usually I can drowned her out with the iPod, but not during this run!! Great job on the blog…look forward to each post.

We recently had a Salad Works open and when I went for lunch, I was so impressed by how friendly the staff was. Very accommodating but it kind of reminds me of a controlled salad bar.

13. Katie P says

In RER fashion I went the savory/sweet route. I have egg whites with Texas Pete hot sauce (I keep a bottle in my desk drawer at work) and a cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin… and coffee CAN’T skip the coffee with soymilk.
    Great run Monica, you are a rock star!