Salad Works and Six Miles

I had to work at 2pm yesterday so I had an early snack before I went. Cereal x2.IMG 6987 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

After work I rushed to meet Skinny Runner to carpool to Salad Works. (She probably would have run there if I didn’t beg her to drive me since it was only 20 miles away.)IMG 6988 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

Mini-Pam, Pam and Life sized SRIMG 6989 600x800 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

Salad Works is pretty awesome. They have 13 salad options or you can build your own. IMG 6990 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

Salad Works has locations in California and a lot in Florida and on the east coast.IMG 6999 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

The “Build Your Own” option comes with 5 toppings and extras cost $.79. If I got what I really wanted I would end up paying 20 bucks for a salad, so I stuck with my 5 item limit. I’ll say my 20 bucks for Whole Foods.

Even though it looks just a pile of romaine it had: Lettuce, cucumbers, chicken, egg, garbanzo beans and dressing. Okay yeah, that is some non-colorful choices. #Anti-oxidantBloggerFailIMG 6993 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

The salad eaters included Pam, Margot, SR, Sarah and Heather IMG 6997 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

I would go to Salad Works again. Especially if they had unlimited free toppings!salads are healthy Salad Works and Six Miles

I got home and stayed up way too late hanging out with Ben and ended up eating a granola bar. Bust.Ed.

This morning I did 6 miles with no real goal pace. This is my “go to” route when I just want to run so I’m recording my splits for my reference.IMG 7001 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

6 miles – Average pace 8:45

• Mile 1: 8:49
  • Mile 2: 8:57
  • Mile 3: 9:05 (darn hills)
  • Mile 4: 8:21 (Yeah Hills!)
  • Mile 5: 8:27
  • Mile 6: 8:48

Then, it was Hammer Breakfast Time!

Made a beggel sandwich…IMG 7006 800x600 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

But ended up switching out the top half for PB&JIMG 7009 600x800 thumb Salad Works and Six Miles

Question: Did you have a savory or sweet breakfast today?

Comments

Sweeeet breakfast as usual.. overnight oats with chia and banana, in a PB jar.

Come to NYC and ill take you to places that have unlimited topping salad bars for $7-$8!! I get every single topping even if I dont like them :-)

2. Meg says

I normally always ‘make’ something for breakfast – mostly bc my hub doesn’t eat unless I feed him but he was away this AM so I had a bowl of cereal which wasn’t special, it was a bland bowl that I ate while starting at a banana I wished I had put in it but shockling I wasn’t nawing my desk at lunchtime so it worked.

I had both this morning, and most mornings actually. A side of scrambled egg whites and toast with PB and banana with a sprinkle of chia seeds – I’m pretty sure I got the idea to sprinkle chia seeds on my PB toast from you so thank you! :)

Salad works looks so good! Ill have to check around San Fran to see if there are any near by. My breakfast this morning was deliciously sweet – 9 grain cereal with some maple syrup and sprinkles!

Sadly sweet….I have got to stop going to Starbucks. I have NO self control most mornings. Hate that about me.

I have seen that Salad Works place and wondered what it is all about I will have to check it out. I usually have an issue with paying lots for a big yummy salad when I can make huge ones just how I want at home for so cheap.

Man…California really does have the best food options! I love that this is where I came from…for all its problems, CA is also a pretty great state. ;) NOTHING like this in Calgary and I’ve only seen one or two places in Canada that are fast-food-ish but healthy like this. Glad you could enjoy such a good meal with good friends- what a neat network!

I was going to go savory w/my breakfast but switched to sweet (Greek yogurt, blueberries, 1/2 banana, chia seeds and a crumbled up banana flax muffin – now you know my breakfast ;) ) at the last minute because it was faster and easier. Eggs for lunch it is!

Monica, I rarely comment but ALWAYS read – 2 or 3 times a day. ;) Thanks for being you, congrats on the 4 years of blogging, and I’d love to meet up for a running and Disneyland adventure sometime with you. (Remember we ran 14 miles with Tina in Philly?!) :) Have a great day!

Bonnie, Thank you so much for this comment. I know it’s hard to comment all the time, but I really appreciate when someone says they’re reading :)

Of course I remember that humid run in Philly! You are adorable :) I don’t get to run with blends often and cherish when I do.

I love saladworks! It’s my go to place when I don’t feel like making dinner for myself. I always get the make your own option and usually get the same thing every time. Lettuce, chicken, broccoli, carrots, blue cheese and craisins. YUM.

I have a sweet breakfast every single morning. Gotta love overnight oatmeal, fruit and chocolate peanut butter. I’ve got to have a savory breakfast sometime. But I don’t see it happening anytime soon :)

Sweet. I had Trader Joe’s version of frosted mini wheats with soy milk and half a banana. I usually do sweet during the week because it’s faster (oatmeal, cereal, yogurt), and I’m always running late!

10. MaryEllen says

Hi Monica,
    I am an “older” blog reader and I love your blog! I find so many bloggers (esp health/fitness bloggers) condescending or worse, and yours is anything but! Keep up the good work and happy blogaversary! (spelling is, I’m certain, way off).

11. Paula says

Hey Monica,

I am a fairly new runner..about 2 yrs and did my first 10 miler today. It was awful! The stars just weren’t aligned for it to happen. I know I am capable, but I am coming off of 3 days of being sick…so that may have had something to do with it. I completed the entire distance, but with a lot of walking. I would love to see when you post your mileage how you feel physically and mentally at each mile. The voice was very loud today…;) Usually I can drowned her out with the iPod, but not during this run!! Great job on the blog…look forward to each post.

We recently had a Salad Works open and when I went for lunch, I was so impressed by how friendly the staff was. Very accommodating but it kind of reminds me of a controlled salad bar.

13. Katie P says

In RER fashion I went the savory/sweet route. I have egg whites with Texas Pete hot sauce (I keep a bottle in my desk drawer at work) and a cinnamon raisin Ezekiel muffin… and coffee CAN’T skip the coffee with soymilk.
    Great run Monica, you are a rock star!