Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

I was pretty hungry around 1:30pm and decided to make my craving – a Shamrock Shakeshamrock shake thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole(source)

I don’t necessarily like Shamrock Shakes as much as knowing I can’t have one makes me want one (Lent and Shamrock shake season always collide). Plus, I don’t really “get” sucking a thick shake through a straw wlEmoticon winkingsmile9 Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole. I’m more of a scoop girl.

So today I made a homemade Shamrock Shake with a little extra Leprechaun love.

And by Leprechaun love I mean, Peppermint extract.IMG 7980 800x533 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

ShamRock Shake Recipe:

• 1 serving vanilla protein powder
  • ice
  • 1/2 banana
  • handful spinach
  • 1/8 tsp Peppermint Extract

Blend.  Stick a green straw in it. Spike with Bailey’s Irish Crème wlEmoticon winkingsmile9 Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole. Drink.IMG 7973 800x533 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

I ended up putting it in a bowl with granola. So so good.IMG 7984 800x533 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

After the rain died down a bit Ben and I headed to my parent’s house.IMG 8040 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

And in honor of St. Patrick’s Day we ate Irish food GUACAMOLE! IMG 8042 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

My mom had leftover enchilada casserole and I served it up with over easy eggs for Ben. IMG 8054 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love GuacamoleThis is also the best way to eat tamales.IMG 8053 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

I put mine on a salad with tons of guac. I told you we had a ton of ripe avocados to eat! I’ve accepted that challenge wlEmoticon winkingsmile9 Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love GuacamoleIMG 8057 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

IMG 8059 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

The other day I offered an almost empty PB jar to my dogs and they didn’t want it. I thought all dogs love peanut butter?!?! My Mexican dogs do not.

I offered them some tonight to demonstrate:IMG 8061 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

IMG 8062 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

They just stared at it, then me, then the PB again. Finally, Bailey just laid down.IMG 8064 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

Then, I offered them a spoon with guacamole and It.Was.On.IMG 8066 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

IMG 8069 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

Clean guacamole spoon, untouched PB spoonIMG 8071 800x600 thumb Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

less famous eating disorders Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

Question: Do you have Guacarexia?!

pin it button Shamrock Shake and Mexican Dogs Love Guacamole

Comments

1. Nikko says

Not guacarexia, but I am a recovering anorexic. Your blog daily helps me to try and regain a good, healthy, balanced relationship with food, eating, and working out. I love your blog, and really have to give you your props for helping me with this, even though you don’t realize how much you do for people like me. Keep it up Monica!

The shamrock shake looks excellent!

• Laurel C says

I too am recovering from anorexia and eating disordered behaviors, and Monica is such an inspiration to me as well :)

so i just tried a shamrock shake for the first time today…pretty good!! but i definitely think i could make one just as good (maybe not) at home. at least healthier hah..but it was pretty awesome

HAHA! The expressions on your dogs’ faces are priceless! My dogs will pretty much eat anything anyway, but they LOVE PB and would like a jar clean if they could fit their heads inside :)

My parents dog is like this – I wondered whether they prefer by nature to only eat the freshest stuff? Their dog will eat locally grown apples but will leave anything imported – that’s some discernment!

Our puppy doesn’t like PB either! When he stayed at the PetSmart PetsHotel they gave him a Kong toy filled with PB but he didn’t like it… Oh well, more for me ;D

6. Shannonrenee says

Ok at first I thought it was really funny that your dogs like guacamole over pb then I was like, “oh no avocados are really bad for dogs- I must tell her!” then I thought wait, maybe her dogs got used to the avacado and aren’t allergic the the pectin…. Well, either way there you go… I wish my bf would develop a tolerance to avocados too, poor guy.

avocados yummmmm. i wish i had your supply! i once had a bunch of ripe ones that i couldn’t use up, so i froze some of them. they’re great in smoothies!

8. Laura says

I can’t believe your dogs aren’t crazy for peanut butter! My dog has woken up from a dead sleep under covers a few rooms away when I was quietly opening a peanut butter jar.

LOL, I celebrated St. Patrick’s with guacamole too – definitely the yummiest green food out there!

My parent’s dog also hates peanut butter but she looovvess bread. So she loves the smell of peanut butter because it normally means toast is somewhere nearby. Haha, dogs are hilarious.

I love the healthy shamrock shake recipe! I’ve been craving milkshakes the past while for some reason and I’ve been trying to be good – I can’t wait to make the healthy version!!

Your pups are adorable :) Be careful feeding them guac though – uncooked garlic is toxic to dogs (I know, weird thing for them to not be able to eat). You may already know that or not have any garlic in your guac but I figured I’d mention it just in case!!

11. Rachel C says

I was going to say that avacados are bad for dogs, but it looks like other commentors have it covered. ;)

Also, your ShamRock shake looks delish! :)

It took living in California for over eight years before I finally started liking avocados, but I finally became a fan about six months ago. Now I have to have them on all my Mexican food. It makes my half-Mexican husband very happy!

Hey there – I know people have already said it, but avocados are toxic to dogs and can prove dangerous in ways that aren’t seen to their owners as the persin causes damage to the heart, lung and other tissue. I’d just be super duper careful and not give more than a spoonful on a very rare occasion and I, personally, wouldn’t feed it to any of my doggies. Ditto on what was said about the garlic (and onions too!) They both interfere with the absorption of other nutrients.

That said, I have no problem not sharing guac with my dogs because I end up eating it all myself!

This was the first time I ever gave avocado to my dogs, they eat the avocados that fall off the trees on their own. We def. make an effort to pick them up, but they’re quick and devour them! I’m looking into this danger more though. Thanks!