The Hunger Games and More

image thumb11 The Hunger Games and More

This morning Ben and I headed up the California coast to Paso Robles. He had a 4 day work week and wanted to do something fun with his 3 day weekend. So even though I wanted to stay home and watch House Hunters all weekend, I agreed.IMG 8362 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

I packed lunch for the road – an apple, salad and some stolen chips. (Stolen from Ben, not the store…)IMG 8348 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

And since we could not go one more day waiting for the Hunger Games movie we made a pit stop for a matinee showing! I mixed up half home popcorn with half movie theater so I could get my volume eating fix and buttery goodness fix.IMG 8363 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More

I LOVED the movie. I read the book end of last year and completely became obsessed. I got way too invested in those characters and have been waiting to see the Hunger Games since then. (I don’t to say how many times I’ve watched different clips and cast interviews and tried to get Ben to reenact scenes from the book with me.)

It’s funny, but even though I knew what was going to happen I was dying of anxiety with each scene. What’s going to happen?!?!?! AH!!!

I ended the books team Gale because of a certain Peeta / Katniss altercation but this movie did remind me I love Peeta too. the hunger games poster thumb The Hunger Games and More

After a little more driving we stopped for dinner at Panera. That “any baked good for 99 cents deal” (with an entrée and drink) is too good to resist. Well, at least for Ben. He ordered the cheddar scones and a chocolate chip cookie. I swear the cookie was all him. Seriously. IMG 8383 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More

IMG 8386 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More IMG 8388 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More

We ended up sharing the cookie. Here’s my thoughts:IMG 8390 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Criteria:

One a scale from 1 to 5

Presentation: 3.5 – plastic wrap, made me feel like it was store bought. I at least want the illusion that it’s fresh.

Size: 5 – Perfect! Bigger than my palm, smaller than a car.

Thickness: 4 – Not thick enough wlEmoticon winkingsmile15 The Hunger Games and More and I want it chewier.

Amount of Chips: 4 – Good amount, good size.

Other: The sign read 440 calories. I like that info – especially helps me share with Ben. Normally I’d dominate.

Overall Taste: 3.4 – Not the one.

IMG 8393 800x600 thumb The Hunger Games and More

The drive was long, but since Ben wanted to drive most of it I was able to read my latest copy of Runner’s World and take pictures.IMG 8366 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

IMG 8368 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More IMG 8377 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More IMG 8378 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

Now we’re settling into our hotel room. Not sure what the plans are for tomorrow. IMG 8399 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

When we were dating Ben and I would just take off on road trips without a plan. Well, my brain was obviously flooded with love chemicals at the time and I didn’t care – now, I kinda do. But, he wants to ‘go with the flow’ this weekend and I’m going to reluctantly play along.IMG 8407 800x533 thumb The Hunger Games and More

See ya later!

Comments

1. Gretchen says

If you head back down the coast via PCH, consider stopping at Neptune’s Net (just north of Malibu). SO YUMMY. :)

2. Jackie says

Love, love, love the Hunger Games! Love the book! Loved the movie!

I’m team Peeta, all the way. But, the movie Gale? OMG….wow.

9:45 tickets tonight! I can’t wait. But I did land on team Peeta.

I always need to know, on a trip, that we have a decent place to stay. Those arrangements have to be made in advance. I am a snob about accommodations and once, we took off without reservations and landed in a place that makes shudder to even think about it. Yuck!

The Kidless Kronicles

4. MonicaH says

That picture from the California Incline makes me homesick for my Santa Monica. Yes, I am “Monica from Santa Monica” .

Have a fun weekend! PS- Have you ever tried the toffee chip from Panera? Im not even a huge cookie lover (I know it’s crazy) but that cookie was outstanding!

Team Peeta!
    I got invested with the characters, too. I took my time reading the last book because I just didn’t want it to end!
    Have fun up north. I miss road trips on a whim. Now that we have a kid, that’s so tough to do! Love wine tasting too! Have fun.

I’m also Team Gale, especially because he looks like one of the beloved baseball players (Joe Mauer) from the MN Twins. Although, I didn’t know about what Heather said in the comment above since I haven’t read the 3rd book. I thought it was a great movie though and can’t wait for the second one to come out.

Have fun on your long weekend getaway!

I was always Team Peeta.

I can’t wait to see that stinkin’ movie. I started re-reading the series a couple weeks ago (only a week after I’d just finished all three books in 4 days). I was that obsessed.

9. Ryah says

I’m in Paso this weekend too! I’m visiting my parents. It’s my hometown so let me know if you need any fun suggestions.

You didn’t drive 101?! Shame! I-5 is just so dang boring for me ;) Enjoy NorCal! It’s supposed to rain up here, but we need it, so except for while I’m running the race on Sunday, I won’t complain ;)

I love your idea of mixing home popcorn with movie popcorn, so clever! No matter how full I am, I find it impossible to turn down movie popcorn…it’s so addicting and delicious!

Best chocolate chip cookie ever: Levain in NYC on UWS. Hands down best cookies I have ever eaten. (Notice that was plural.)

You MUST get there and try one. I would send one to you, but part of what makes them amazing is that they are always fresh from the oven, and therefore warm, so it just can’t be eaten any place other than in their store. Trust me. You won’t be able to consider any other cookie in the running once you try one.

And now I’m drooling just thinking about it

I used to be in search of this website last several days and nights wonderful webpage proprietor excellent posts every little thing is fantastic