Oxygen Magazine Recipe

Hello from the sky! I am on my way to Seattle for the Blogher Food conference right now wlEmoticon smile5 Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I flew out of John Wayne (the Orange County airport) and it was easy peasy. IMG 1907 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

Good News – the new carry on suitcase that Ben bought me got through security and is happy in the overhead bin above me. (I was worried it was too big.)IMG 1900 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I am digging this bag, but the one negative is – It’s meant to hold your laptop in the front pocket, but that makes it front heavy and it falls forward. We noticed this right away, but figured once it was packed full of stuff it would be fine. Nope.

So, I am hanging my purse off the back (which is super heavy!) and now it’s fine. IMG 1903 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

IMG 1905 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I walked the terminal and checked out dinner options (normally I prefer to pack something but our fridge if pretty bare). Finally I decided on CPK. I used to eat here all the time back in the day when I was just a little gigolo. IMG 1909 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I wanted a big salad and figured this would fit the bill…IMG 1913 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

Another reminder of how salads are not necessarily healthy – this baby checks in at over 700 calories and 40g of fat! I’m not surprised by this, but thought I’d share the reminder…IMG 1911 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

That’s more than their Tuna Salad Sandwich (you know with all the ‘evil’ mayo) wlEmoticon winkingsmile Oxygen Magazine Recipe Moral of the story – get what you really want and satisfy your craving if it’s all the same.IMG 1912 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I ended up choosing the BBQ Chicken Salad because that’s CPK’s “thing”. I’m going to ditch the tortilla strips to knock that calorie count down to 699 and call it a dinner. IMG 1919 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

I just got my new copy of Runner’s World and Oxygen magazines this week and saved them for the flight.

I started with Oxygen and was casually flipping the pages when I came across a very interesting article…IMG 1921 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

A recipe for French Toast Cups?!?! IMG 1916 600x800 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

It’s my recipe!!! I made the Reader Recipe of the Month!!!

Being in a magazine is on my bucket list and I’m proudly checking it off with this. I was smiling so big when I saw this and it took all my effort not to stand up on the plane and announce this to my fellow travelers. I’m suck a dork, but this is a BIG deal to me! IMG 1918 800x600 thumb Oxygen Magazine Recipe

You can check out my French Toast Cups recipe here

See you in Seattle!

That reminds me, I better get to updating that bucket list…

pin it button Oxygen Magazine Recipe

Comments

Congrats, that is super exciting! Oxygen magazine is my favourite! I had a recipe published in a Clean Eating e-newsletter and that was a huge thing for me so I could imagine how excited you are for this. Congrats again!

2. Kerri A says

That is so cool!!! Congratulations!
    I’m kinda surprised they didn’t let you know that you’d be featured – but how cool it must have been to flip thru a magazine and see your own photo in there!! That might have been even better than knowing in advance!

Aaaa that is so cool!! Congrats Monica!!!! I would not have been able to hold back my a squeal before noticing I was still in public lol when you get off that plane you better skip, click your heels or pump your fist in the air!

Wahooo! You’re a celebrity! So does that mean I get celebrity status by KNOWING a celebrity? It’s celebrity by association isn’t it?

No way! A huge congrats on the recipe being published! :D And enjoy BlogHer and Seattle for me – one of my favorite cities for sure!

6. Daphne says

SUPER COOL about the magazine article! I’m pretty sure anyone within ear shot would have known about my celebrity and my fab recipe to boot! Congratulations, that is super exciting!

7. Holly B says

Way to go Monica. You are such a cool girl now. I’d love to see my face in any magazine. Living the dream!

Wow! Any more feature articles/recipes in mags coming up?
    BTW, just reading this post reminded me to pack something for my trip this weekend. Can’t believe a salad is a whopping 700 calorie meal!

Congrats on being published!

I know what you mean about the salads – I always think I’m being so virtuous (well not really, but I kid myself that I think I am…) by having a salad, and always feel resentful of people who can just eat a sandwich or whatever they want and be thin while I have so many problems with my weight. Then I realise for all of the crap I’m dumping on my salad, I could have just had the proverbial sandwich in the first place. Yet I keep repeating this same pattern because I have salad=weight loss stuck in my head.

For what it’s worth you look very slim and pretty in that first photo :)

That is awesome!!!! I am honestly surprised by the calories in the salad. It sounds healthy expect the tortilla strips and ranch…this might be why I LOVE salads out, but they taste horrible when I make them…it is because the salads out are full of fat and calories!

Wow, that is pretty cool that you got your recipe published! Congrats!!! Surprising though that they didn’t somehow contact you beforehand and told you that they chose you to be featured. Maybe they didn’t want to spoil the surprise ?

Congratulations! That is super cool that your recipe is featured in a magazine – and the recipe looks delicious. Definitely going to try it out :)

Seattle is pretty much the best place for food. Especially Asian cuisine. I’m not sure what extra time you’ll have when you’re there, but there’s a fantastic Asian market on 5th Avenue in the International district – Uwajimaya. There’s also an unassuming Chinese restaurant just down the street from it called Honey Court. It looks like a dive, but the food is amazing (especially the honey walnut prawns), they’re open late, and the waitresses are amazingly funny wiseasses.

That’s so awesome about your recipe!! I probably would have been tempted to show and tell everyone within speaking distance. And maybe some who weren’t. :)

Enjoy Seattle! So cool all you gals are in town. Sorry the weather isnt that great for you…today looks like it might be a bit better!

That is so exciting!!! I don’t know if I would be able to contain myself if I was featured in Oxygen. I actually just got my copy today and am whipping through the pages to find you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

i subscribe to oxygen and had no idea u were in it…i just stumbled upon ur recipe!! thats SO awesome congrats!! i was just in seattle too and had no idea the blogher conference was going on…oops..i need to pay better attention!

Congratulations on making the Reader Recipe of the month! I actually wondered if you took those pictures in the magazine yourself. It was such a clever recipe. I believe a recipe of mine will be featured in an upcoming issue. I am just as excited as you were about yours. This is how I found your blog, which I am now following. :) Also, I would have to agree about the salads. I feel like they are disguised as a healthy option but are loaded with so many unhealthy extras and filled with the least nutritional lettuce. Im excited to see more of your blog. Thanks for writing creative and cool stuff.