My First Triathlon

Good Morning! Wow this weekend was a whirlwind of fun!IMG 1944 800x600 thumb1 My First Triathlon

Thursday – I flew to Seattle and saw my recipe in a magazine.

Friday was all about Running and Snacking in Seattle, plus Parties!

Saturday I learned about storytelling and picture editing.

And Sunday I went home and watched the Real Housewives of New Jersey (love love love) before promptly passing out. I am obsessed with that show, so if you are too let’s discuss.

This morning I had to shoot some video on my run for a BIG project I have coming up. So, I did 6 miles total but there were a lot of breaks in there.

I came back hungry and had half a sandwich thin with AB while making eggs. I’m so glad I remembered to pick up ketchup yesterday!IMG 4568 800x533 thumb My First Triathlon

And I don’t know how or why, but this batch of iced coffee is extra delicious! I brewed it last night and added almond milk and stevia this morning. I think going a little heavy handed on the almond milk “made” it.IMG 4574 800x533 thumb My First Triathlon

Yes, so I have a big video project going on and I’m going to start training for my first triathlon this week! There is a local Triathlon group for woman called Tri La Vie that has invited me to train with them.

I’m planning on doing the iTRYathlon at the end of July – it’s organized by Renegade Racing – a local racing company that also hosts trail runs and other events.

This race is an entry level triathlon with a 200 meter swim (in a pool!), 9 mile bike and 3 mile run. So, it’s not a killer distance and I don’t have to learn open water swimming –> but I haven’t biked in a year and haven’t actually swam a real lap in 6 years?!

Backstory – I started to train for my first triathlon in college after I hurt my ankle while running. I knew I needed to cross train more to protect my running muscles. I saved up my money and bought a bike and a wetsuit. I even started to train with a local group since I knew NOTHING about tris.

Well, I got busy with school, work and my internship and quit the tri-training.

Sadly, the wetsuit was one of the casualties of our move across the country. Ben and I threw out a ton of super valuable stuff at the last minute because it didn’t fit in the car and we were on a time crunch wlEmoticon sadsmile1 My First Triathlon

Anyways, years later I am finally going to give the triathlon another shot.

Problems to solve:

1. My bike has 2 flat tires and spider webs.

2. I don’t have a pool to train in! My gym doesn’t have a pool and I’m not sure where to go. I’m thinking the local Y?

Music Monday: Pitbull’s Back in Time

I need to add this one to my playlist!

Question: What was the highlight of your weekend?

Comments

I bought a wetsuit this weekend! I was planning to rent for my first tri in July, but I found one used on Craigslist for just a few bucks more so I decided to bite the bullet. This way I’ll have extra time to go practice open water swimming. Trying on that wetsuit was the hardest workout I’ve had in a while. I was sweating when I came out of the bathroom.

2. Eileen Jeanette says

Congrats on the tri! Two Wheels One Planet is an awesome shop and just minutes from you (Muirlands and El Toro). Kristen is the GM there and AMAZINGLY helpful. If you want to go biking at all, just let me know! :-)

Fun fact : my best friend’s cousin is in that Pitbul vid. I know what you’re thinking, and yes that does mean that I’m practically bff with Will.

My highlight was my first Half Marathon, totally impressed you are training for your first Triathlon, very cool! I am glad you had a good time in our neck of the woods this weekend, I am outside of Portland, you should check it out too one of these times :)

wow – very impressed. i’ve wanted to do a tri for a while now but i’m kinda scared of the swimming bit. looking forward to hearing how you get on.

highlight of my weekend was my sisters hen party!

I’ve been wanting to train for a beginner triathlon for months now, but still haven’t taken the plunge to commit to it. I have similar obstacles as you, no pool to train in, and I don’t even have a bike! I should just do it, bite the bullet, buy a good bike, and join a better gym!

7. Dalia says

Juicy Joe always manages to say things at the wrong time… I have to admit sometimes his offensive comments make me laugh… is that bad?

Training for your first tri- fun! My husband couldn’t swim more than 25metres when we started training for our first tri and he successfully swam (with a very decent time!) a 1.2 mile swim and then a 2.4 mile swim a couple months later!

9. Tina says

Congrats on starting tri training. I am sure you will do great. And….. what is the deal with Jacqueline? I can’t decide if she is 2-faced or just hoping for the best in her friendship, with the completely delusional Teresa Giudice. I swear talking to Teresa must be like talking to a brick wall.

10. Alex says

My husband just did his first tri at lake mission viejo last month. He trained at Waterworks for the swim. It’s off of Sand Canyon and they charge $5 a session I think. Check out their website.

11. Emily says

Did you hear what Teresa said during the preview of next week’s show?! She called someone Hekyll and Jyde! You can’t make this stuff up!

Congratulations on the triathlon training! A triathlon is on my to-do list right after running a half and a full marathon. My mom thinks I’m crazy, but I know I can do it if I put my heart into it. I’m actually running my first half marathon in July and I’m SUPER excited.

triathlon!!!! How great! And what a good one to start with. I would say go check with the local Y and see what kind of magic you can work for the next 2 months for training.
    After completing my 1st tri a week ago, I swore I would never do it again because of the open water swim, but as time has gone by I just might end up doing another one in the WAY future. Glad you get to start in the pool!

Congratulations on training for a tri! I completed my first one a year ago, and am training for my second one now… I think you’ll be hooked once you finish!

And your trip to Seattle looks like it was so much fun! I want to replicate salad-on-a-stick :)

Oh I’m so excited! I’m doing that as my first Tri too :) I actually ran with Linda (who’s one of the coaches with Tri La Vie) last week in what I will declare a disaster of a first impression run with many bruises and scrapes to remind me of the incident every day since!

16. Ida says

sounds fun! i’ve never done a tri but really want to do a duathlon. I feel like being all wet after the swim would make the rest of the race uncomfortable.

The highlight of my weekend was my new PR 5K time of 30:41 :)

And congrats on deciding on a triathlon. Def have more balls than I do, lol. I hate water.

Dang, girl, triathlon — nice! I forgot how to ride a bike (I’m serious…it’s actually possible, haha) & suck at swimming, so triathlons would not be my thing, but I’m always impressed by people who do them! My friends & I once joked around that we should do a triathlon & split it up amongst the 3 of us (I run, one of them swims, & the other bikes & runs).

check your park district, we belong for the summer and it is pretty cheap. Also I take V for swim lessons at a racquet ball court. They have a pool. It is crazy how much cheaper it is than the Y.

Phuket Marathon! Had a fabulous time – hey, can’t get any better than pool time, sun, food, run and friend. Looking forward to hearing about your tri training. Good luck with the pool find.

I love that song! The second I heard the Dirty Dancing song I had to have it :-) Also newly obsessed with Usher’s More (Jimmy Joker Remix) – I’m a beginner runner in week 6 of the 5K runner program and it has gotten me through the last few minutes many times already!

22. Denise P. says

I wish I lived a little closer to the OC so I could train with the ladies of Tri La Vie.

Re the bike – take the Basic Bike Maintenance class at your local REI – I just took it since I don’t have a man around anymore. Now I could change my own tire if I really had to.

Re the pool – Most of the local cities have open swim hours right now being that it is summer. They are usually held at the high school pools in the area. Check out the little recreation brochure or your cities website to find the hours and see if it works for ya.

I love the sprint distance tris. Have yet to attempt open water or anything that involves swimming more than 4 laps in a pool!

23. Missomy says

Now I’m beginning to understand why friends always ask me to be on their tri teams. I never knew open ocean swimming scared so many people! I did a month of pool training then one open ocean swim. Swimming is second nature in Australia- especially in the ocean. However, The day before the event, there was a shark attack, so they reoriented the swim into a “M” shape- meant 3 lots of bouys to go around. I was not prepared at all for the pushing, punching and scratching. Made me so madi completed the swim (.93 miles, 1.5 km) in 26 min (plus a 500m run up the beach to the transition zone. I too swore I’d never do one gain, but I may reconsider once I move home. Good luck! Try make the best tri swim wear ;)

24. Marjie says

Yay for you trying the tri! I’ll be so glad to hear about your experiences b/c I’m doing my first tri in August. First time I ran right after biking was… indescribable. Can’t wait to get your reaction!

Getting ready for my first sprint Tri, too! I’m a runner, but thought it would be great for cross-training. I went for a pool swim race and I am still scared out of my mind about the swim. When I pulled my cobwebbed, flat-tired, bicycle with a basket on the front out of the garage and tried to lift the 40 lb thing into my car my husband laughed and told me to go get a new bicycle. I bought an entry level road bike and am now sold on Tri’s. Hope you have as much fun training as I am!