Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

Hello from New York! running central park thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

I made it to my hotel around 5:30pm yesterday and had a minute to upload my post and head to dinner. I was finally able to meet my contacts from ING and their media company at Rosa Mexicano.IMG 5097 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

There was a set menu and I thought we were supposed to choose our dishes, but it turns out everything was served family style so I tried all of it!IMG 5066 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

We started with guacamole made table side. Normally I’m the guac maker so it was nice to let someone else make it for me.IMG 5068 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

I love that the restaurant gave us chips AND corn tortillas for the guacamole and salsa. I’ve always said asking for corn tortillas is a great way to avoid eating too many chips at a Mexican restaurant. IMG 5072 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

The second appetizer was chicken flautas.  The chicken inside was a bit dry, but the sauces on top of the the flautas were amazing. IMG 5073 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

The third was empanadas, which being Mexican and all, I don’t consider Mexican food, but I’m not about to turn down a fried corn masa shell stuffed with cheese. I love masa. IMG 5078 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

We lingered over each course and talked about the shoot and other fun New York-y things. I know nothing about NY so I was just trying to take it all in!

The main course included salmon, chicken enchiladas, carne asada, rice and beans. Everything was delicious. Fancier than the Pico style Mexican I’m used to, but delicious. IMG 5080 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park RunIMG 5087 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

I know it’s a little premature seeing as though I just got here, but I’m going to go ahead and call the highlight of my trip right now…IMG 5076 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

Freshly made churros served with dipping sauce. I love churros and these were served hot and covered in cinnamon sugar. So so good. IMG 5089 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

They gave our table 2 HUGE bowls of the churros and I had three, but stopped myself from eating all of them. We left a ton and now I kinda wish I would have grabbed that bowl and put it in my purse (this morning I would have filled it with milk and had churro cereal). IMG 5090 800x600 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

When I got back to my room I did a little Google Hangout with Ben. I don’t know why I have such separation anxiety from this guy. I’m such a weirdo.image thumb3 thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

Then, I had to hit the sack because I was meeting Ashley from Healthy Happier Bear at 6am for a run! My hotel is super close to Central Park, but again – I know NOTHING about NY so I was very appreciative that she showed me where to run.ash bear in ny thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

We met in Columbus Circle and took off for about 5 miles from there.

monica in ny thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

We ran around the reservoir and enjoyed the morning breeze. She’s actually running NY too and this is her first day of training so I’ve decided it’s mine too wlEmoticon smile18 Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run I can’t believe it’s only 18 weeks away?! running in ny thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

*Remember how my toe was hurting a while back? Well, it has been getting better (and I’m not curling it under). But today it cramped up major when we stopped for water and now it’s sore and achy. Thoughts?the path thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

After our run we parted ways and I head back into the park for another mile or so (not sure exactly Moto is dead). I went out for a hit and then turned back to my hotel.  I almost got lost and was about to turn around when I asked a nice man and he told me I was almost back to my starting point. So glad I didn’t turn around without asking!

The magic phone helped me find a Dunkin Donuts for iced coffee! dunkin donuts thumb Rosa Mexicano and Central Park Run

And then I took my iced coffee into Starbucks for an egg white feta wrap.

DD Iced Coffee > Starbucks

Starbucks egg wrap > DD egg white flatbread

I also grabbed a gallon of water from CVS. But the pics are being difficult so you’ll have to take my word on it.

Anyways, I should probably shower and figure out where I’m going for this morning’s shoot! Ah! Hope I don’t get lost or say a bad word on tape…

Question: Do you eat OR exercise “different” when you travel or try to stick to your normal routine?

Comments

I hope you survive the rain and storms. While there is nothing I like more than a nice thunderstorm it will definitly make your pizza box soggy! :)

Such a fun day! Warm churros sound like heaven.
    Good luck with your shoot today!
    I love to exercise when I’m on vacation, but I definitely eat a lot more! It’s my time to indulge a little.

I do enjoy new foods while I travel but try to control my portions and avoid eating too many not so healthy foods. Those are my goals but sometimes you have to give in and enjoy the ride. Wishing you a wonderful NY visit. Good luck at the shoot.

1. Sorry I couldn’t get my ass out of bed to come meet you guys.
    2. I <3 Rosa. A lot.
    3. I fully support your breakfast choice and often do the same thing.

Sounds so fun! NYC is definitely on my bucket list of places to go. Have a great shoot!

Honestly, I rarely run on vacation (at least short weekend trips). I usually try to get all my training in during the week so I can just relax. I’ll often swim or elliptical and very often walk a lot so I just call it active recovery. :) Running in Central Park sounds like a must-do though!

6. ina says

yum. sometime i wish at worky type of events, they’d bring out dessert first so you can kind of figure out how to pace yourself. definitely would have forgone extra guar for more churros!

When I go on vacay I mostly just walk, I don’t do any other form of exercise. It feels like a good break, though! I also usually eat a ton more crap than usual. I try not to, but often if there’s an ice cream place nearby, I’ll hit much more than I would at home, and I just slip into lots of snacking and eating less fruits and veggies, too. Luckily vacation is only a couple weeks a year!

8. Ida says

I love rosa!
    When I travel I eat more, but I also walk more. I feel like it’s important to try local foods and a few days of indulging isn’t going to do any major harm.

Dunkin Donuts coffee wins every single time. I get so sad when I have to go back to school because they don’t have a dunkin :(
    I had a similar issue with my big toe and it just went away with time. One run it bothered me and then the next day it didn’t.

Family style is the best! You get to try a little bit of everything :) I am also a huge fan of Dunkin coffee. We don’t have Dunkin Donuts in Minneapolis, so whenever I See one I try and grab a cup :) When I travel, I try and stick to my normal workout routine, which really just consists of running and/or if the hotel has a gym! OR if there is an Anytime Fitness near by, I’ll just hit up the gym. Either way, I try and exercise while I travel so I can stay sane!

Not to be a total stalker, but I saw you and Ashley running in Central Park this morning! So cool! Glad you had fun at Rosa Mexicanas.

looks like you’re having a great time! so fun that you’re running in central park now…and that you will be running the NY marathon soon! i saw that the other day, and meant to comment but forgot (fail!) anyways, congrats on getting in!! so exciting :)

fun to see your post in NYC! I’d probably scream and then give you a hug if I ran into you on the street. hope the rest of your time here is fab! xo

Welcome to NYC! Hope you enjoyed the lovely tropical storm this morning (it may have hit Manhattan later than it hit Staten Island, where I live) :P
    I’m with you on the churros…LOVE them. If you ever go to Barcelona, get churros con chocolate. It’s very popular there & is basically churros that you dip in a cup of pure liquid chocolate. In other words, it’s heaven in your mouth.