Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Ben and I did a little exploring around our neighborhood yesterday and ended up stopping at a Korean restaurant for dinner.

They start you off with kimchee and two other things that I can’t identify / am too lazy to Google. IMG 5359 800x600 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Ben ordered the tempura Udon and I drank most of the broth.IMG 5360 800x600 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I got some dish called bibimap IMG 5364 800x600 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Okay I googled this one and found the Wiki definition for your reading pleasure:

Bibimbap (비빔밥, Korean pronunciation: [pibimp͈ap̚][1]) is a signature Korean dish. The word literally means “mixed meal” or “mixed rice”. Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with namul (sautéed and seasoned vegetables) and gochujang (chili pepper paste). A raw or fried egg and sliced meat (usually beef) are common additions. The ingredients are stirred together thoroughly just before eating.[2] It can be served either cold or hot.

The waiter advised me to put this bbq kinda sauce on it before eating and I gave it a whirl. Eh. I wasn’t into that red bottle, but I drowned this thing in soy sauce.IMG 5365 800x600 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

After dinner I got a text from someone named Skinny Runner telling me to get to Yogurtland immediately or she was kicking me out of the Mediocre Bloggers of the OC Club. IMG 4921 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Yes, it’s a real club and we have meetings where we dress up in costumes and brain storm dumb blog ideas. You’re welcome. DSC 4148 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Anyways, she said I had to try the Birthday Cupcake Batter fro-yo as research for our meeting tomorrow and I jumped on this project!IMG 5371 600x800 600x800 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I don’t know if you are aware of the blogger hierarchy, but when SR says to eat fro-yo – you eat fro-yo. IMG 5372 800x600 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

That, or I really wanted fro-yo anyways…

Okay – on to Sunday!

I started my Sunday with a nice little stroll while talking to my mom on the phone. Ben slept in, but chatting made it feel like I was on the walk with someone wlEmoticon smile Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

45 minutes later I got back and Ben was just waking up. I asked him what he wanted for breakfast and he said, “Hamcakes”.

I’m sure he was joking, but I delivered. I made pancakes and added some chopped ham to his. He was very impressed. IMG 5377 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I’ve been so busy with work and traveling that I haven’t cleaned since before Chandra came to visit! I would be embarrassed, but I’m not. I’m messy and not at all Type A so it is what it is.

But, it was getting pretty gross over here so Ben and I spent most of the day cleaning.

I went through part of my closet and found my college diploma! Um, but it was empty?! I never even put my diploma in the frame!IMG 5383 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I know it’s hard to believe by the less than stellar quality of writing on RER, but I have a degree in Communications. IMG 5389 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I also found Ben’s fancy degree. P-town writes the entire degree in Latin! So, I have no idea what he studied. I think it was Ivyleagueology, but I’m not sure. IMG 5396 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

We cleaned all the way through to lunch and broke around 1pm. I made Ben a snack plate and stole a cracker with cheese. IMG 5402 533x800 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

It’s all about the presentation.

IMG 5406 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I had a huge salad and of course cherries and watermelon. IMG 5415 800x533 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

By this time we had enough of cleaning for one day and I went out to run some errands. I had to hit up the health foods store for more natural supplements for my thyroid.

I spotted a rice cream treat on super sale and grabbed one, but my very very long Target trip turned it into a pile of mush. Sad sad face.IMG 5416 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

But the Target trip wasn’t a complete loss because I got a new head band to try. At first I thought I finally found a head band that would fit my HUGE HUGE head, but this is already slipping off. IMG 5420 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

I’m Mexican and not in the habit of sharing my food with my pets. But I do let Vegas lick the Chobani container when I’m done. IMG 5426 800x600 thumb Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Now Ben’s cooking up dinner while I blog. Today has been a very productive day!

Meal plan for the week:

• Tuesday: Strength/swim
  • Wednesday: Run
  • Thursday: Yoga
  • Friday: Easy 3 and abs
  • Saturday: LR
  • Sunday: Rest

Okay, time to watch the Real Housewives!

I think I hear a piece of dark chocolate calling my name…

Question: How as your weekend?!

What’s calling your name right now?

pin it button Hamcakes and Sunday Set Up

Comments

I didn’t know your middle name is Melinda?! My middle name is Marie. I love your Sunday Set-Ups, I’ve been inspired to do the same because of your blog of the mediocre oc or something like that.

So… thoughts on Tree & Joey’s therapy session?

I’m pretty sure I have no idea where my diploma even is! Oh well…
    I wish there was a Yogurtland closer to me…even though a bajillion (actual count) of other self-serve froyo chains have opened up near me I still feel like I’m missing out.

Hey, I have issues with headbands fitting, too, even the no slip ones. I usually put snappy-barrette things in to hold it, one behind each ear and facing forward. It works wonders! Might wanna give it a try?

My husband is scooping mint cookie ice cream as I type. It was call our names.
    Your Korean meal looks good. I should give Korean a try, I think I would dig it. I get nervous to try things I can’t pronounce, I worry they will slip in some mystery ingredient. Not sure why I care, I am not a picky eater but I want to know what I’m eating before I eat it.

Eh only 3 side dishes for a Korean starter? We usually gey about 8-9 dishes here – some times, I feel that those alone is good enough for a meal with a bowl of rice or noodles. Bibimbap is good! Although it’s difficult to find vegan versions.

Bibimbap!! I love Korean food (as it should be, I married a Korean guy), and bibimbap is one of my absolute favorite dishes. I often make it at home. The toppings are a lot of work, but totally worth it.
    The two side dishes in the first photo are probably sweet’n’sour radish (the yellow one, you often find it in sushi/gimbap), and fermented radish cubes called ‘kakdugi’.
    I have to agree with fellow Sue above, only three banchan and one of them probably from a plastic bag? That’s little lame.

• Alicia says

I second Sweaty Bands – I have the worst time getting bands to stay put while running & these work. I’m addicted to Sweaty Bands. Every race expo I see them at I have to buy more.

I can never find a headband that stays put! I’m pretty happy with this weekend. Made it through 2 birthday parties without eating my weight in cupcakes!

8. Stephanie says

If you’re still looking for a hairband solution, I’ve used prewrap for athletic tape cut to size and with the ends tied together. It’s hard to reuse these after they stretch, but the prewrap isn’t too expensive in the first place.

9. Willie says

“Yes, it’s a real club and we have meetings where we dress up in costumes and brain storm dumb blog ideas. You’re welcome.”

You always brighten my day and make me laugh.

and for real – we need a fro-yo by my house!

10. Sarah says

How long is your long run going to be? I know you’re traing for the NYCM but I have been meaning to ask you, when you are NOT training, how do you decide how long to make your long runs?

If I’m not training for anything I just run what I feel like. It’s just a hobby so I don’t make myself run a certain amount if there is nothing to train towards :)

11. ina says

being a fro-yo junkie myself…what constitutes a darn good place for you? Flavors? non fat, low fat, soy? Protein? Having tried several in my town…I definitely can taste the difference between quality ingredients and faux-yo. you?

I don’t care about non fat or soy options and actually don’t prefer the “sugar free” kinds. Good fro-yo has quality yogurt (taste, consistency) and A LOT of flavors and toppings.

12. Katie says

So curious what thyroid supplements you take – I have hashimotos/hypothyroid, and use iodine and kelp. I’m always interested in other natural splmts because my thyroid is so whacky!

13. Betsy says

same question as above, what thyroid supplements do you take? have you noticed a difference at all yet? i just bought whole foods thyroid complete this weekend, hoping it will help some!

Mmmmm I love bibimbap. There are no good Korean places around here! Sad.

My pretentious school also writes their diplomas in Latin… they gave us a translation at graduation but obviously I lost that pronto so I have no clue if my diploma says “Congrats, you graduated!” or “bummer for you, you failed some classes! come back next semester!” I think that if they aren’t going to make Latin mandatory, they should obviously put the diploma in English so us non-Latin-readers can read it.

What do you use for natural thyroid supplements. I am on prescription meds for a hypothyroid and always wonder if I am not doing my body any good…

You seem like an adventurous girl when it comes to eating out! Props! I love that you plan your meals and workouts in advanced. I think it would make everyone a lot less stressed if they did that!

Ben’s diploma lead to the following train of thought: “Ben went to Princeton?” *click on Ben tab** “Ben’s an aerospace engineer?” “Wait, where did he and Monica meet?” **click on FAQ** “How did I not remember reading the “How Ben and Monica met?”

Anyway, thanks for the distractions. My cousin went to Princeton and graduated the year after Ben. And my BFF is an aeronautical engineer who keeps saying that she needs to get on eharmony.

Random thoughts.

I love bibimbap! Did you try it with the red pepper paste? It’s so hot but so good! Also- the frozen yogurt place near me has a cake batter flazor that’s super delicious. You post made me crazy hungry :/

Is the red pepper paste what was in that bottle? It’s not Sricha right? Because I tried the paste and didn’t think it was that hot. But I can take the heat ;)

19. Tiffany says

Dear Monica,
    I’ve been reading your blog for about a month now and I think you are so lovely and personable. I love your sense of humor and reading this post was a great start to my day. You seem to have such a great balance in life–keep it up and keep smiling! Great Ariel costume by the way!

I love Korean food! We are currently living between there and Hawaii so I get to visit often. Being a vegetarian is a little difficult there but you can never go wrong with bibimbap!