CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

I wasn’t really feeling the Meatless Monday thing this week (again), but it just so happens that the meal I’ve been cooking up all day is meatless and Mexican-y.

Score one for the accidental Mexican Meatless Monday! crockpot black bean soup thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

I really want to try and make a crockpot meal at least once a week so that was my #1 goal as I put together a dinner plan for this week. I had this package of Black Bean Soup mix that Bob sent me. Okay, I don’t think Bob himself sent it, but someone from his company did. IMG 7735 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

I soaked the beans over night and this morning added the following to the crockpot:

• 1 package black bean soup mix (soaked overnight and drained)
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 jar salsa
  • 2 Tb. minced garlic
  • 2 boxes broth (use vegetable broth to make this veg)
  • Salt and Pepperblack bean soup ingredients thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

See? Into the crockpot you go set on low for 6 hoursIMG 7770 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

crockpot CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

Meanwhile I ate watermelon…

IMG 7773 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

And a rice cake with jam with my lunch salad…IMG 7775 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

Mid-afternoon I went to grab a yogurt but ended up digging into some cereal instead. Not the most balanced choice, but I’ll have some yogurt or a more protein-y snack if I’m hungry later.IMG 7778 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

Aaand… 6 hours later the soup is done! You can let it cook for more but the beans might break down a little more. I like a good mix of half broken beans half intact.

IMG 7788 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

I topped it with shredded cheese and slurped up the cheesy, beany strings.

Enjoy!

IMG 7793 800x533 thumb CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

*Please note – my phone tried to autocorrect “crockpot” to “crackpot” when I was instagraming earlier.

**Also note – “instagraming” is a legit verb.

Question: What’s for dinner?

pin it button CrockPot Black Bean Soup Recipe

Comments

I love Bob! He really does wear the hat too! All of his employee hats are made in Portland by a local Haberdashery. That’s a savvy business man for ya. Im a Portlandian/Oregonian & I work right by Bobs Red Mill. He’s done so much for us here in the Pacific Northwest and now he’s even letting his employees by out the company. Great products!

Ahhh, I love the crockpot! Dinner is left over carne asada my husband BBQ’d last night which means I don’t have to do anything! And better yet he has the baby right now so I get to go for a run (walk, jog, slog, whatever) after work.

I actually basically had a mexican meatless monday tonight by accident, but there was some pollo asado involved.

Leftover rice, beans, and kale topped with homemade guac and salsa, with a stir fry of pollo asado, leeks, bok choy, and egg, also topped with the guac and salsa. Sounds random but it actually tasted good all mixed together.

I love that you read my mind. I was just thinking that I need to make a good black bean soup recipe and one that doesn’t require a ton of attention. You’re so intuitive…love it! :)

oh, that looks like a yummy and easy make! my dinner was cereal, very fitting with your post. i actually made a really nice pasta to have but i ran 11 miles and then felt way too weezy for it. so, kellogg’s called, and i answered. story of my life

6. Denise P. says

I used to make crockpot meals a lot when I was with my ex -usually on Mondays cause I’m gone 12 hours a day for the rest of the week and not many crockpot recipes tolerate that. Havent made much lately since I’m living the single life now. I make a mean crockpot lasagna though. I think the recipe says it serves 4 but they aren’t kidding anyone 2 people can gobble it down in 1 sitting its so good.

They passed out watermelon during the Maui Marathon/Half yesterday. It was so tasty!

Dinner tonight will be something at the poolside cafe at my hotel here in Hawaii. Gotta love vacation – no cooking and no watching the calories.

I could use this black bean soup or maybe just the black beans/veg for a tortilla or sandwich filling or even on top of my pasta! Thanks for the sparking the idea.